Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Separate mattresses - one bed frame - why?

56 posts in this topic

So I have been looking for a mattress cover for a while now...not really seriously...just in passing should I happen to be out and about. What I really notice is that although our mattress is 140 x 200, it is nearly impossible to get covers and sheets to fit. We mainly end up buying at Ikea because it is the only place we can get bed paraphenalia to fit (which is fitting - no pun intended - as we purchased the mattress there).

All the great sales I come across in the flyers (woo I get flyers in our new building now) are for smaller sizes, the biggest I come across lately being 135 x 200. Most is like 90 x 100. Tom seems to think it could be that a lot of beds have a separated mattress where each person has their own separate sleeping area. It seems he might be right. I have been in a few hotels and pensions, particularly in Austria where the beds are all like this. Is this common in homes as well?

Why is that? Is there some significant reason I am missing? Just a curiousity for anyone who can shed some light...

Yes, in Germany, the beds at home are also like this.

I believe it serves two purposes.

Those being:

1. No one bogarts the blankets. You each get your own blanket and there is no pulling on it during the night when you are freezing to get some blanket back.

2. Separate mattreses so that you can sleep in peace. If you have a sleeping partner who is always flipping around, they will not wake you as you are not sharing the same mattress and you will not feel the bounce.

I think its genius, personally.

I think its great. A benefit is that you can have a different firmness for each side - e.g. if one person likes/needs a really squishy mattress and the other something less flexible

And if one person is heavier than the other, then separate mattresses mean you only roll together when you want to.

Otherwise the smaller person rolls down a slope into the bigger one.

My bed is like this but only because it means my bed is massive :)

It is indeed a great system. Furthemore when having friends to stay you can stick a non-couple together on one of these beds with no silly issues about sleeping in the same bed etc. So works for singles and couples.

Gee no one likes to cuddle anymore?? hehe Where has the romance gone? How can you spoon on separate mattresses?? Every man or woman for himself/herself eh?!

Secretly I like the separate blanket idea as one *someone* I share the bed with gets too hot whereas I am always cold...it IS a problem at times. They might be on to something there...

I thought it was really stupid and sad at first too, but you can still cuddle, no problem. You can put one elastic sheet over both mattresses, so that you don't fall into the middle.

Extra benefit: no gargantuan mattresses. Everything fits in your Mini or Polo, no problem! And with 300 year old houses, you can get the parts upstairs too!

I'm sorry, but I don't think this is a 'European' thing. A german thang, an Austrian thang, maybe, but it's certainly not common in Britain, France...

I love my queen-sized mattress. For 2 people long term, I guess I'd want to get two of THEM and stick 'em together. There's just something about sleeping diagonally on a bed that's already longer than my height.

I think they suck, except that I can stick my feet into the crack and its all warm and toasty and shit. It is like a boundary that disturbs my sleep.

if you have someonbe to share your bed with then i guess it's okay...but if you live by yourself that crack in the middle is just plain annoying...anyone else with me on that?

Bed crack is just wrong. I have two twins that are stuck together, I sleep sideways or diagonal...anything to achieve the least bed crack to body ratio. <_<

I was on a trip to Denmark and was told that by a chap there that, up until about 50 or 60 years ago, if you visited a persons house and stayed the night, you took your own bed???!!! They had a spare "bed" room but you brought your own bed. Personally, I dont like separate mattresses but at least I dont get a knee in my back or the sensation that I am sleeping next to a hot coal when I am forced to use the two-mattress system!!!

if you have a blanket issue at night just keep an extra one at the foot of the bed and if you find yourself freezing grab it... i agree w/ those that are anti this system (the bed thingy)

Not only am I against the bed concept here, I also can't stand the comforter wrapped in the sheet. As far as I'm concerned, the sheet is designed to be separate from the comforter. And a blanket in the middle or on the foot of the bed is always an option for cold weather.

When I have to stay in a hotel with the mono-comfortersheet, I am usually roasting or freezing alternately throughout the night. The best I can manage is an in-between setting, where some ratio of my body is covered and the rest is sticking out in the night air as a heat sink. Of course, sometimes this backfires badly and one leg or arm ends up freezing cold at 3am :P

I've noticed this too in Austria and I am guessing that it's a Catholic thing - men and women sleeps apart :ph34r:

I read in a Feng Shui book and my FS master told me its bad luck to have separate mattresses and since i am superstitious, i go with that flow...hate the bed crack thing too though.

I think separate rooms work out best. So you dont end up keeping your spouse awake when you have guests over for the night.

uh...so your not going to invite your spouse to join you in your activities?