Rewe in Rhein-Main

14 posts in this topic

from the Frankfurter Allgemeine

Rhein-Main ist fest in Rewe-Hand

Einen Stich nach dem anderen

Rhein-Main ist fest in Rewe-Hand. 305 Geschäfte haben die Marktforscher von Trade Dimensions in diesem Ballungsraum gezählt, schon 247 waren es vor dem Rückzug von Tengelmann gewesen. Damit ist die Kölner Gruppe im Ballungsraum Frankfurt stärker als jeder Discounter, stärker auch als Edeka, sonst in Deutschland die Nummer eins. Von dessen 2008 verkündeter Aufholjagd ist außer dem edlen, aber versteckt liegenden Scheck-In-Center nördlich der Hanauer Landstraße in Frankfurt und einem weiteren Markt im Stadtteil Griesheim bisher nicht viel zu sehen.

Im Gegenteil. Namentlich in der Mainmetropole macht Rewe einen Stich nach dem anderen. Der erste Supermarkt im neuen Stadtteil Riedberg, die beiden neuen Märkte in den früheren Straßenbahndepots in Bornheim und in Sachsenhausen, die zum Stadtgespräch geworden sind, der einzige Supermarkt im Viertel am Westhafen: alles Rewe. Sie müssen einen tüchtigen Expansionsmanager haben in der Regionalzentrale in Rosbach.

And it's starting to show in the prices. The same bottle of extra virgin olive oil (Bertolli, half liter) is 2.59 by Penny, 3.99 by Rewe. Worth shopping around a bit.

You do know Penny is a subsidiary of Rewe, and usually counted as part of it for statistics like the one cited?

Rewe is cheaper than Aldi. At least when you buy the same brandless crap Aldi is selling.

But then you buy the brandless "Ja"-crap which I think is of less quality than the "crap" from Aldi :-) ... except for the basics like sugar, flour etc.

Rewe is more of an upmarket place right?

Eh, no. Not at all. Although I suppose they might like to think so.

They pretend to be, but I don't care for Rewe at all. LidlAldiPennyNetto are better if you're looking for cheap.

I dunno, I have plenty of alternatives in walking distance from where I live: By foot:

1minute: Lidl (generally crap but they have the odd interesting national specials, i.e. US, UK, FR etc)

4minutes: Rewe (Generally a good store and open until midnight. That's good for Germany, recently renovated as well)

8minutes: Pennymarkt (Horrible... absolutely horrible. But if budget is the no.1 thing...)

10minutes: Tegut (This is more the upmarket one and do a 15month old Cheddar from the UK, hummm!)

10minutes: Norma (eek!)

11minutes: Netto (double eek!)

14minutes: Aldi (Better than Lidl in quality, but very limited range. There specials are generally nicer than their standard stuff)

16minutes: Rewe (This is probably the most horrible Rewe Store anywhere)

20minutes: Rewe (Never been to it due to distance)

14minutes by bike: Edeka (Between Rewe & Tegut. Decent size for Germany)

14minutes by bike: Hit (same as above, by decent size I mean about half the usual UK supermarket size. Small in UK but massive for Germany)

There are also some small Bio supermarkets around, but the above are the general ones. That's actually quite a selection and although there are three Rewe's, it's hardly a monopoly.

I quite like our local Rewe, but my favourite stores from above would be:

1) Tegut (Some lovely products, though pricy

2) Hit (Sheer size and range. the store is looking a tad dated these days though)

3) Edeka (Lovely new store, so it feels nice to shop in. Range can be good in some areas, but crap in others)

Oh how I miss Tegut... after 10 years in Kassel and almost 3 years in Würzburg, I moved out of the region Tegut covers when I moved to Stuttgart.

Everybody seem to have forgotten about TOOM (also part of the REWE group), it is almost the same as Rewe in variety and prices. Here were I live there is a huge one for UK standards. Quite nice, recently renovated and lots of parking.

There were sometimes in Frankfurt where you could find also Tengelmann, but this chain was also acquired by the Rewe group. In terms of variety the ALDIs are not strong but the quality is quite OK and for the price you can not complain. Rewe also holds the Nahkauf chain so it is in reality a Huge monopoly at least here in Hessen, with competition only from Real and Edeka.

There were sometimes in Frankfurt where you could find also Tengelmann, but this chain was also acquired by the Rewe group.

Tengelmann hasn't been acquired by Rewe. Or do you just mean that Rewe bought/took over some of the real estate where Tengelmann/Kaisers used to have branches?

Edited to add: found the information. Rewe took over part of the Tengelmann branches in the Rhein-Main area (but did not take over Tengelmann) and Tegut took over the rest of them. Source

@Jeanie, well the OP said in Rhein-Main, therefore I mentioned the takeover of the Tengelmann stores in Frankfurt :D . But you are completely right in that Rewe did not take over the Tengelmann group.

Cheers!

Funny thing with German chains and what they sell - we started in a place where Marktkauf was B&Q (DIY store for non-Brits), then moved to a place where people did their grocery shopping at Marktkauf :blink: and now we live in a place where Toom is B&Q, but FigN in FFM is happily shopping away for groceries there. All a bit odd.

I miss Waitrose.