Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Berlin - Alexanderplatz S-Bahn - woman attacked

20 posts in this topic

could you provide articles since it is much easier for me to understand .. since it is a written forum .. ?

Thanks and I am concern about this incident, live in Berlin and never harrased by criminals. :blink:

This stuff happens more often than you might think in Berlin, it's just that this time it went so far that a woman ended up being knocked out and it was recorded on CCTV.

A female friend of mine was knocked over and spat at by three shitheads at Kottbusser Tor recently for the heinous crime of brushing the elbow of one of them as she walked past. The back-to-front baseball cap is a common feature of the MMMB (Mysogynistic Macho Mummy's Boy) in this city.

Thanks and I am concern about this incident, live in Berlin and never harrased by criminals.

Compared to other European cities, you shouldn't be, Berlin is still a very safe city for anyone to walk around in, and attacks like this on women are rare in any city.

Oh, Chocky, I hope your last post is right..and not the one before it!!

Edit: my mistake! You say compared to other European cities! Sorry, Chocky!

Compared is the key word John. But as it grows and takes in more inhabitants, Berlin is starting to develop some big city problems, hopefully though, it's a long way from the same problems that London or New York have.

But as it grows and takes in more inhabitants

Except Berlin isn't experiencing any really noticable growth - the year-to-year growth margins tend to be below 0.5%. Perfectly within standard margin since WW2 in fact.

What Berlin does have currently is a huge number of people nominally in the population registers who aren't there. Estimates are that around 8.3% of the nominal population of Berlin doesn't live there anymore (mostly expats who don't deregister in that number). Or in other words: Berlin has actually been shrinking. Or will be, once the 2011 EU Census corrects the population numbers. Next November.

I'm sure you're probably right kato - my opinions are just based on living here.

Just been reading up on Berlin's violent crime statistics, the reports don't seem to categorise violent crime in general, but comparing statistics from 2009, 2010, and 2011, there were 42, 34 and 51 murders in the city respectively.

http://www.berlin.de/imperia/md/content/seninn/abteilungiii/kriminalitaetsstatistiken2/2011/pks_2011.pdf?start&ts=1334915276&file=pks_2011.pdf

Which for 2009 means that the murder incidence per population in Berlin is 300% that of the rest of Germany. Statistically.

Well, if there were no murders at all, Tatort wouldn't be believable. Always an upside.

So it seems Dessa, and none of us even seem to have noticed it yet :-D

OMG WE'RE LIVING IN THE MURDER CAPITAL OF GERMANY!!

And we're living in the capital of the murder capital. (But i'm moving soon so we won't be able to share our experiences of this grot hole much longer.)

But still bear in mind that even given the crime rates you mentioned Berlin is relatively a very safe place for a city with over 3 million people.

Berlin's crime rate is population-wise relatively significantly lower than London, NYC or LA.

The mayor of LA, London or NYC would be very happy to have the crime rates Berlin has.

Hell, lower than Helsinki, Finland even! And Helsinki's a small pissburg in the middle of nowhere...

I always feel quite safe walking around Germany at night. Had problems in other countries but never here. Even regarding murders, Germany has a relatively good reputation. Statistics from the last few years show Germany has a very low murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants. It does turn out though, that no matter how safe the country, you can always end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Then statistics are no help whatsoever.