Best hospitals for natural birth

34 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I read some other threads sort of around hospital recommendations for giving birth but they didn't exactly answer what I am really looking to find. I'll be asking my doc on Thursday about it as well to see what he can advise, but I am wondering if anyone has any tips on good hospitals in Munich that offer ideal environments for a natural birth. Birth pool would be a definite plus. :)

I already had my first daughter at a birthing center back home, but the reason I'd prefer a hospital this time round is mainly for the 5 days bed rest after the birth. I'm not at all high risk and come from a long line of women who don't have any complications in childbirth, so I see no real need to be meddled with in labour really.

Barring any serious complications, I absolutely do not want ANY unnecessary medical intervention. No C-section, no drugs, no Pitocin (or German equivalent)to induce or speed up labour and contractions, no episiotomy, no IV, etc... just a plain, 'simple' natural delivery (as was the case with my first girl). I'm wondering if this is a big ask for a hospital birth and whether I should just stay at home or go the birth center route again?

Any advice or experience on this topic would be very helpful.

Thanks!

have you found a midwife yet? they can also advise which clinics have what etc.

Unfortunately not. My doc hasn't really discussed this stuff with me yet, so I'll be asking this week as I am now halfway through and I know how fast it goes.

you will need to find a midwife yourself.

look here www.hebammen-suche.de

and rather sooner than later as some of them are booked out! you can find one that specializes in natural births, one who speaks English too.

As a side, could my topic titles please be left unedited when they are correct as is? I know it shouldn't annoy me but I prefer my style of writing.

http://megan-b-wyatt.suite101.com/how-to-write-in-title-case-a73866

I know 'down-style' is preferred for Toytown, but it just doesn't look right to me and since it doesn't really effect what I am asking can we leave it please? :(

Hi, I know that there is a birth house somewhere in the Neuhausen/Nymphenburg area if you were wanting a purely midwife led birth.

If you do want a hospital birth I had my daughter at the Frauenklinik on Taxistraße. They have 2 birth pools which are painted - one to make it look like a Tuscan scene/Italianate, and the other apparently is a water scene with fish (though I didn't see this one). I remember, before I asked for an epidural!, the midwife checking my notes and saying that she understood that I wanted a natural birth and would I like to try the birth pool - so I think they would respect your wishes. They are quite a conservative hospital though and if there were any hint of a problem they would probably push for interventions to be used, so you would need to stick your ground if you have strong feelings about this (obviously within reason etc etc). I liked the location of the hospital as it is in a quiet, leafy, green, residential area and has gardens you can sit in if the weather is nice & you feel up to it.

Taxistraße info

Thanks Floral One. That looks very nice. I have no problems standing my ground but so long as there are no complications I just don't want to feel pressured into getting an epidural or other unnecessary interventions...so glad to hear they respected your wishes. :)

I also got a PM praising the Wolfartklinik in Graefelfing if anyone else is interested.

My experience at Rechts der Isar was wonderful but I needed to be induced a day after my water broke at 37 weeks. There was no additional medical intervention (at my request). Although I had planned using water it was not possible in my situation. Everyone (doctor, midwifes, nurses, technicians) was very supportive of my wishes.

We did our birthing course at Driter Orden (spelling?) and I thought their facility was really great for natural birth. They would have been our first choice if we lived closer.

Start contacting midwifes now! We never ended up finding one because they were all booked or on vacation (my guy was supposed to come late August).

If you do want a hospital birth I had my daughter at the Frauenklinik on Taxistraße.

I second that on Taxistraße. Both mine were born there and they were brilliant. I seem to remember a birth pool during the stress of birth. Try to get "chefarzt" treatment if you can as the top docs there are excellent.

Chefarzts might not be covered by standard health insurance though so best to check.

our clinic (not in Munich) had a bathing pool which was luvly but littlun wasn't ready to make an appearance and I got all wrinkly after a few hours.

my recommendation would be to ensure there are all services on hand to cover every eventuality. also to brush up on German birthing vocab!

These all seem to be the same places coming up again that were also listed on some other threads I read. Its all very good to know. I'll have to compile a list of them and go to the viewings methinks...

Thanks all.

They have a pool at Maistraße and when you go to register they do ask you what your wishes are. But I don't know about what pressure etc you are put under, its not what I want from mine unless everything is going amazingly well. To be honest I think that may be a bit of a pot luck thing with the doctor/midwives rather than the hospital.

Remember unless you pay for a specific midwife to be with you at the birth you will get whoever is on duty. I know a few friends who didn't want a natual birth who felt pressured by midwives into having one so I don't really think that wanting a natural birth will be seen by the medics as something weird.

Chefarzts might not be covered by standard health insurance though so best to check.

my recommendation would be to ensure there are all services on hand to cover every eventuality. also to brush up on German birthing vocab!

True Booty, chefarzt treatment is only available if you pay.

Actually the only words I needed to understand when I was at the coalface were "Noch ein bißchen weiter" and "Schieb!"

Additionally you do learn how loud some women can scream!

I had a natural birth in Munich at Klinikum Neuperlach in 2003. My link

I do not know if things have changed since then, but I found everyone friendly and helpful. The whole experience was memorable. They treated me like a person and not just another woman having a baby. I spent 10 days pre-labor there, and I found everyone attentive, considerate and patient. I got the impression that they loved what they do.

I used a birthing pool as pain therapy. I think I changed my birth plan a hundred times (original plan was water birth), and my wishes were always accommodated. I refused drugs, but they still randomly asked me if I had reconsidered. The nurses even managed to say 'breath' and 'PUSH' so I understood them well enough. At the end they used their initiative and had the lights dimmed and played classical music in the background. The Oberärztin was present at the birth. I was visited by the Chefartz every day, and got a congratulations when my son was born.

They also offer lots of different courses which I found helpful.

I did not have a midwife beforehand, and they appointed me one, who spoke English.

Good Luck with everything!

***Virtual Tour ***

Hi

I had three months ago completely interfiering-free -birth at Krankenhaus Pasing (Neu Aubing). An extra nice thing there is, that there are so few people giving birth (1,3 child born per day), that the people there really have time for you and your wishes. They have pool.

But my tip actually is, that you should very clearly state what you want. I am afraid of needles, so I just told that (stated that they are not allowed to bring any needles anywhere near me as far as there is nothing in danger), and they had no way to do much anything medical. But I still got afterwards some nose-spray etc, which I was to tired to "fight against". This was because I was naiv, and expected, that sure they want to do all births without any interfiering, med-free as long as possible. No no. So where ever you go, go there beforehand and be very detailed with your wishes. And don´t believe, if first says, that it is not possible. Happened to me by mid-wife, but the doctors were very supporting.

Ps. Home-birth´s costs are in Germany paid by the health-insurance. Also I personally recommend getting to home as soon as possible, but I hate hospitals, so do as you see best.

not scaremongering but a friend of mine in the UK hates hospitals and planned a home birth.

nothing in her medical history or pre-natal care suggested any birthing risks.

yet she was rushed to hospital needing an emergency Caesarian, everything was touch and go as some time had been lost obviously.

so do not completely close your mind to medical intervention. safety is paramount and usually the medics do know what they are doing.

Exact same thing happened to my sister-in-law in Canada. Plan for any and every situation.