Ebay campervan scam

17 posts in this topic

We've owned our beloved (20 year old) Hymer campervan for about 7 years now and decided it was time for to get a slightly newer model. So after having tried selling it to dealers and being offered next to nothing for it decided to try to sell it on Ebay, so I put it on a 1 Euro start price with a minimum reserve price for a seven day auction, and put my mobile phone number on the description so that people could arrange a viewing before bidding. Anyway the sale went well , we had loads of interest, and the van was sold last week to some bloke in Düsseldorf. He said he didn't have time to collect it and wondered whether I could deliver it if he paid the train fare back, I agreed and drove it down to D.dorf. He was very pleased gave me the money signed the sale contract, we deregistered the car and I returned home with my old numberplates. By the time I got home he'd already given me a positive Ebay feedback. All very good.

A couple of days went by and I received this call from an extremely angry man saying that the camper that I had sold him a couple of days earlier had blown the head gasket and now needed a replacement engine which would cost 3,800 Euro. I was horrified as the van had always been well looked after and never had any oil or water leaks. He went on with his rant saying that either I gave him the money back to cover the cost of the new engine or the thing would be brought back on a tow truck by him and his mates and dumped on our drive. He then slammed down the phone. I was left feeling very worried and rang up a friend who is a lawyer and he said that as it was a private sale I had nothing to worry about as it was "sold as seen".

This made us feel slightly better, but the thought of a gang of heavies turning up on our doorstep with the camper on a towtruck was still in the back of our minds. Anyway I checked his number on my mobile which I thought had come from a German mobile phone, the number was 00961-78869706, after trying to find out where this number was registered I discovered it wasn't a German mobile, but a phone number from the Lebanon. This is when I realised it was a scam. I got another aggressive call this morning saying Ok whats happening with the money for camper to which I told him I knew what he was up to , that he was a Betrüger and we knew that he was in the Lebanon , he immediately hung up and I haven't as yet heard anything else from him.

Told the police? Told E-bay? Maybe you are the 99th person they have tried this on already.

eBay is scam central, unfortunately. That's why it's never a good idea to put any personal contact information (e-mail, phone number) in your ads.

Presumably you have the name and contact information of the person you ended up selling your camper to. This is information scammers won't have. So in the unlikely event that another scammer tries to contact you, ask them their name first. Hopefully that will turn them off right away.

You could try reporting the attempted fraud to the police, but given the apparent international nature of the crime, and the fact that it wasn't successful, it might not go anywhere. Still, if you have the time, it would at least generate some official documentation instead of going unreported.

Did you try calling the real buyers back, to verify everything was fine on their end? Where did the scammers want the money sent?

Very very strange. Interesting scam idea! I bet some people fall for it.

I bet you could transfer the money "back" through Western Union!

Seriously though, report it to the police and also to Ebay, as this will neither be the first nor the last time that "they" try this!

Maybe even with the help of the police, it will be possible to find out who is actually behind this..

This is rather strange. I'm wondering if the person you sold the camper is behind this or is it someone else who had your contact info from ebay who is trying to extort money from you?

The latter, most likely. You can just search auction descriptions for common mobile prefixes like 0171, and get a list of a few thousand potential targets. Much more convenient than having to buy a camper van first.

- apparently Brummie was "last active" at 6.52 this evening, so I guess the chances of a receiving reply are quite good!

Wow thank you people for your concern but yes I got a reply! I saw he was still an active member so chances are I'd get some info!

p.s this crap is still going on and these f*ckers are still scamming other people... so please be careful If you decide to sell anything on Ebay for a large sum of money.

- of course we are concerned Gem, as we don't want other members to have such problems!

@ Brummie - what was the outcome?

I bought a cmper van about 3 years ago through Ebay. Everything worked out fine. A few days after I had picked it up the seller called me to ask why I was so angry. I said I was perfectly happy, and he told me that he had such a disturbing phone call as mentioned in the earlier post. I convinced him that everything was fine and that he should ignore the call, which he did...

Expat-Dog

So sorry to hear about your problems selling your camper van. Although I tried to buy a campervan to stay in on my land I have not been successful.

Does anyone have a camper van that they want to Park at my home in Seebad Bansin on the Island of Usedom whilst I  try to get my home restored? 

Let me know.