Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Homework Mum helping out...again! Re Brexit in Abitur

25 posts in this topic

Fair? As in kid fun fair. The translator comes up with Messe but I thought this is more of a business word.

Many thanks in anticipation

Thank you very much Jeanie - sounds better to me...quick google pics confirms. All done now...

Mix-up can arise because a Kirmes often takes place on (in?) a Messe, i.e. the place where trade fairs take place is usually also just called "Messe" and that's also often the only place in a town big enough to fit a big funfair. :) Actually, I don't think I learned the word Kirmes until I moved to Düsseldorf, which has a special place that the Kirmes takes place that isn't the Messe.

Thanks again Jeanie...I thought it sounded wrong when I remembered my Dad going to a Messe ever year. Couldn't be right him going to a fun fair without me!

Kirmes is a nice word. It´s short, sounds folksy and I guess the common use really is "fun fair". ("Kinderkirmes" would be nice too. Alliterations are always better ;) )

But at least in the more rural or religious areas people would know that Kirmes comes from Kirchweih (Kirchweihmesse probably). So Kirmes is a fair in connection with the celebration of a church anniversary.

Another word would be: Jahrmarkt (Kinder-Jahrmarkt)

Kirmes is correct. Often a Kirmes is held when there's a Schützenfest, too.

Thanks again everyone. The kids all have to describe a famous fair in different countries and my daughter needs to describe the Nottingham Goose Fair and I think that Kirmes may be best?

Kirmes is very regionally used word (south - mid Germany?!) but everyone will exactly know what do you mean.

I would go for Volksfest but Kirmes is good as well (Das Oktoberfest ist das größte "Volksfest" der Welt" ; )

Edit:

- If it's a bigger event I would use Volksfest

- If it's regionally/locally I would use Kirmes

post-131284-13371720572487_thumb.jpg

So, this is the fair in question? Looks almost like the Cannstatter Wasen. I think I'd go with Jahrmarkt.

Ein Jahrmarkt(andernorts auch Messe oder Kirmes) ist seit dem Mittelalter ein mehrtägiger Markt, der in einer Stadt einmal jährlich stattfindet und besondere Beachtung genießt. Heute wird die Bezeichnung auch für andere unständige Märkte gebraucht, wobei die Verwendung für ein Volksfest sehr geläufig ist. Dies ist meist dadurch begründet, dass sich über die Zeit ein Jahrmarkt in ein Volksfest gewandelt hat.

Here's a picture of the Bad Kreuznacher Jahrmark.

Volksfest was the first word that came to mind, but I would actually probably use Jahrmarkt because that conveys the "held every year" concept as well as the "fun fair" concept.

*Vaguely remembers riding on dodgems and waltzers at the Goose Fair*

Rereading the Wikipedia article, I think I'd have to change to Volksfest, since the Nottingham Goose Fair has been going on for 700 years.

Heute wird die Bezeichnung auch für andere unständige Märkte gebraucht, wobei die Verwendung für ein Volksfest sehr geläufig ist. Dies ist meist dadurch begründet, dass sich über die Zeit ein Jahrmarkt in ein Volksfest gewandelt hat.

rob2011...could be right. We'll have a ponder about the right words. I remember that it did evolve from a trade type of fair into a huge cash guzzling fair that is typical of kid's fairs

Many thanks for your help

We’ve come a long way since I started this thread so many years ago.  I guess this will be the last time I’ll be helping with any school work...Abitur starts next week!

I’d very much appreciate some guidance...The teacher has only just suggested that Brexit might be part of the English LK and told the kids to just roughly cover the subject.  Roughly doesn’t sound enough.  

I can’t seem to find on Google from a reliable source, a simple summary and timeline of all Brexit events up to date.  Even bullet points that my daughter can elaborate on.  It could be that an important aspect is racism relating to Brexit.  Any information on that would also be much appreciated.  

Many thanks in anticipation.

Thank you...That’s a great timeline...I just found very short ones!

The Guardian online has heaps of articles. She could use the search function for specific aspects e.g  brexit racism, brexit weekly, brexit Erasmus etc. - the kind of topics that might come up in that level of exam. "Discuss the possible implications of Brexit on x."

31 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

The Guardian online has heaps of articles. She could use the search function for specific aspects e.g  brexit racism, brexit weekly, brexit Erasmus etc. - the kind of topics that might come up in that level of exam. "Discuss the possible implications of Brexit on x."

Thank you, good idea as The Guardian has often been a resource during the British English LK course.  I can find several articles referring to increasing racism, islamophobia, xenophobia etc since Brexit though can’t seem to find anything on how it may have influenced voters.