Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Relocation to Bamberg for Work

6 posts in this topic

Well I am not a Siemens guy but a Boschler and they are proposing to put me in Bamberg for a 3 year training assignment. Which is a fabulous opportunity for sure, but and there is always a but I have to care for my family during this move. The family consists of 2 daughters 9 and 13, plus my wonderful wife. None of which speak a lick of German at this time. My company will of course dump all of us in immersion courses for language, so that will be what it will be. My main concern is the social situation for my wife and school for my children. I am pretty sure from what I have read that we will want them to attend FIS as my 13 yr old will return stateside for her senior yr in high school.

So based on that where does everyone recommend that we look for housing with commuting and community considered? For me of course Bamberg is the place as my job will be there but what about considerations for my family. The better half works out 5 days a week so that needs to be considered for me as well. Just starting to look and thanks ahead of time for your help. At this point they want me on the ground the first week of July, but I think it will be the second week of August. Again thanks.

Hi, we are an english family living in Bamberg my daughter 10 also goes to the FIS, your girls will be absolutly fine and wife too as there is a fabulous social life that comes with the school, for example if your wife likes working out there is a power walk that takes place after drop off on a tuesday.

The school is great.

There is an american base in Bamberg so alot of americans are here, the commute to the school is about 40 mins but i think that Bosch do a school bus service.

Let me know if you need anymore info

CUTiger, are you going to be in Bamberg working with PSE? If so, I have to assume you are coming from AdP. I will most likely be in Ansbach for 2 years starting at the end of September.

GaTech rather not say at this point which part of BaP I will be working in or where in the states I am coming from, will let you know that one later :-)

Torr thank you very much and if Bosch runs a bus down to FIS from Bamberg that would be absolutely perfect in my estimation I was hoping that I would not have to commute to far. But I think FIS is perfect for my kids furthering their education.

CUTiger95 and GATECHGRAD, y'all are soooo sneaky! Glad to see we all made it in one piece. Torr, are you still in Bamberg? I am guessing your daughter is in grade 5 at the FIS now? Both of our daughters ended up being able to attend school there. But, I do not feel very involved with the other moms there. The distance is quite substantial from our house to the FIS. I try to use public transport with the Mobi card whenever possible, so it's usually 1.5 hours each way. I do help Mr. Jonas shelve books once a week and I helped decorate for Christmas last Friday. But, other than my family and GATECHGRAD and his family, we don't have many friends at this point. We have plenty of casual people we know, but not real friends yet in the Bamberg area. Thankful that we can at least meet GATECHGRAD and his family in the middle sometimes though!