Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bike stolen from my back yard

16 posts in this topic

I moved to Munich last Summer and bought myself a new bike (about 250 euros). I left it locked up in the bike parking lot at the back of my apartment building over Winter without checking it, and then today I decided to get it out and go for a cycle and found that it's gone! :-( :-( :-( I'm not quite sure what to do now. I have travel insurance covering the entire length of my stay here, so that may cover it, but I guess that I'll need to report this to the police in order to claim the insurance. Does anyone have experience in doing this in Germany? Is there a police station near central Munich that I can just walk into and expect them to be able to speak English? Thanks for your help! (And sympathy! I've never had anything stolen before and I thought that it would be secure locked up inside my apartment building complex!)

Thanks for that Lavender Rain! :) What I'd really like though is advice on reporting this to the police (because I'd like to see if I can get the money back on my insurance). Do I just walk into a station in the city and expect them to be able to speak English? What sort of things do I need to know to tell them? Has anyone ever done this before? I think that I'm just feeling a bit daunted by the prospect!

LisaB, did you look at the links on the threads from the search engine?? Those links have information regarding contacting the police, the police contact information, and even a link for the lost bike depot in Munich.

Of course, you should contact the police to report your bike was stolen. You will need details of exactly where your bike was located when it was stolen and what time of day it was stolen. You will also need to tell them any other relevant information such as your contact information etc.

Regarding your concern about the language, most likely there will be someone there to communicate with you in English.

Dear Lisa,

Really sad to hear this. Anyways, just take the pic of your bike and report this to nearest police station.

Its really difficult to get back but you should report who knows you might be lucky. It happened to my friend

too :(

LisaB, check your insurance first to make sure it really does cover this sort of thing (and in fact, being a travel insurance, that it even covers you while you are resident in another country). Maybe it's a specific one to cover you for a short-term residential stint, but I doubt that it would cover soemthing such as bicycle theft. If it does, you're very lucky. Most people's household insurance, which I assume would have a greater span of coverage than an all-round travel insurance (being a specific insurance just for that one thing) won't cover bicycle theft - the risk is just too high. When they do, that is often an extra option (costing more money to insure). In a very few cases, a bicycle will becovered straight off, but even then there are specific conditions which must be met for the theft to be covered. Not knowing exactly which date your bicycle was stolen will make it even less likely that it will be covered by an insurance.

Guessing your stay is only for a few more months, I suggest you try to pick up a cheapie from TT or at the second-hand bike traders.

Of course, you should still go to the police, in cas ethey happen to find it. But essentially don't expect them to be too interested. Bike theft is extremely common in Munich - I remember how they reacted when my locked up bicycle was stolen from my backyard (I talked to them in German, so I don't know if they spoke English) - and no, I didn't get insurance money for it either.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. By all means try, but don't set your heart on getting anything back for it.

Thanks for your help everyone! I'll go in there tomorrow and see what I can do. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the bike. :( Thanks for sharing your experience ruapehu - I'm sorry that yours was stolen too.

Hi Lisa,

take a copy of the police complain and send it to your insurance agency. The insurance company

sometimes covers and you might get back some money.

regards

AE

Mine has been stolen far too many times in Munich, I farking hate going outside and not finding my bike there

I am pretty sure I know roughly where the thief lives, it is in the vicinity of the pub as I usually find it back there

I must be one lucky person to keep finding it back

PS Good luck!

Oh ginga! :)

locked up inside my apartment building complex!)

Hmm. Might not have been stolen at all, but removed by the Hausverwaltung as an abandoned bike. They would generally put little signs on bikes that haven't been moved for ages and if not moved within a week or two they cut the locks and remove them. Call the Hausverwaltung and ask if they do that in winter sometime.

If you have the receipt for the bike it may have the bike number on it, which the police like to note down. It may well be that your insurance covers the loss as it was locked up inside. Good luck.

Good idea, but generally receipts does not contain any number. I recently bought from Radlbauer and there was no number on receipt. In fact, you put your details yourself on receipt and they just stamp it!

For Munich, there is a facility to file a Police complaint Online: https://www.polizei.bayern.de/kontakt/index.html

You may share the date, location, clues, suspect, receipt, pictures, etc. which are sent to your local police station via this portal to register a case.

I tried and received a confirmation email incl. Vorgangsnummer, mine is not insured but I would let the authorities know, let's see...

Ice cold.

Tip of the day: If you don‘t use your bike during winter, it‘s better to store it in your basement compartment if you have any. Better prevention and better for your bike —> corrosion.