Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Sailing buddy (m/f) wanted

22 posts in this topic

Hey everybody.

The first topic I´ve started, so please forgive any mistakes.

I´ve been sailing since I was a kid, on and off. For the last ten or so years I didn´t really get much practice. I would like to revive this hobby.

I have all the necessary licenses, just like I said, lack practice. That´s why I´m looking for experienced sailors out there, as for now I don´t feel confident enough to take a beginner and be responsible for them.

I´ve got access to a dingy on the Alster lake, but can´t / don´t want to sail it alone. So, if there is anybody out there who would like to go sailing with me, please drop me a line.

Hope to hear from you

Marc

Marc

In the unlikely event of you not finding someone with more experience of sailing than me, I've watched a couple of Duran Duran videos and contemplated buying deck shoes in a dark moment, I'd be delighted to sail with you.

I'm like a flotilla of mallards in water, fit and athletic, super keen, a quick learner and know which side is port and which is starboard. I'd gladly take responsibility for myself and am very flexible on when I can sail.

Please give me a shout

Best wishes.

N the Eel.

Hey N,

even though it appears your comedic talent exceeds your sailing experience, I am certainly willing to give it a shot. Since you claim to be a good swimmer I don´t see any elevated risk, plus life vests are provided. At least the basics seem to be covered. So, well, all I need to do to get started is arrange for a session with an instructor to refresh my memory on how certain things are handled, and then I will message you to set something up. Sounds like a plan?

see ya

Marc

Hello Marc,

Sounds like a very good plan and do drop me a line once you've refreshed your skills.

All the best.

Captn Jack.

Hello Marc, hello N,

first off...you guys are hillarious! Anyway, i'm about to move to Hamburg from Greece at the end of May. I don't really have experience with sailing boats BUT..i just got my speedboat license! I guess it's irrelevant but i know my way around a steering wheel on a boat. Anyway, if not for my knowledge, i could join you some day just for the fun of it. If not, i don't mind, really.. Have fun!!!

Ted

Woah, that sounds like an adventure, Marc. Don't forget to pack your radar system and your emergency flares. :)

Hey now,

don´t underestimate the treacherous waters of the Alster. Always be sure to bring survival rations, preferably of beer, and other important items, such as a healthy dose of humor.

So, who still wants to tackle the rough sees of Hamburg´s largest pond?

I'll come. Been a while since the last time I went sailing. Sure would be cute on the Alster :-)

Does Great Lakes, Ijsslmeer and the Baltic count as experience? ;-)

I used to sail as a teenager, and I even have a German 'A Schein', but it's basically like getting your driving licence and not driving for 20 years... I did go on the Alster one single time when a friend was over during some summer; whichever place we hired the boat from had no problem with me hiring it, seeing as I was able to produce the A Schein. Mind you, I managed, but I wouldn't generally like going out on my own (i.e. as the only one with any sailing skills). So I might be in, eh, well, the same boat as you - pardon the pun.

So basically, if you're ever planning on cruising around the Alster lake for a bit at the weekend, I wouldn't say no!

I wouldn't be able to do weekday evenings, as I'm working then.

UPDATE:

The last weeks have been pretty busy, unfortunately. Also, my upcoming vacation (yay!) needs some more preparation, especially since the car we´re planning to take isn´t quite fixed up yet. I´m sorry for the delay.

The plan is for me to be ready to sail in July. I hope that´s ok with you. Sorry again to have kept you waiting.

Best wishes,

Marc

"Dr Marvin! Im sailing"

I am ready to be a deck hand as well as whatever it takes to get out on the open..lake!

Will go with anyone who is willing to set sail! I have done it a few times when I lived in San Diego and was a great time!

hit me up. 015784880643

Damion

Hi

Would love to come for a sail, been sailing since i was walking, use to own my own boat back in England, what sort of dinghy do you own?

Was going to go to the Alster this Saturday to see if i could go sailing, so this could work out well

Cheers

Neil

Hey Neil,

well, I don´t actually own the boat, I just have access to it. It´s a "Kielzugvogel", a very common class of dinghies here in Germany. They are fairly easy and safe to sail, having a keel, hence the name btw.

Cheers

Marc

Hi Marc

Sounds good, i am heading back to the UK this weekend but i can make it the weekend after if you want to go for a sail

Neil

Hi all,

I will be moving to HH this August or September from another part of Germany and I am looking for waters to set sail or friends to share this hobby. Does anyone sail in HH, can you inform if you need to join a club etc?

I sail for the last 4 years in mediterraneanon sea with 40ft boats.

firt

Hi, I do sail once in a while, and do have a sailing license - I'll let you know as soon as I plan to get, and let me know if you want to join, I might reschedule other plans then!

Take care,

Kuba

Hi Marc,

I'm currently doing the Binnensee segelnschein with Kapt Prussia. Im in the UK at the mo and back on the 25th of July. I'd love to sail. GIve me a shout either at my pub, the Shamrock (http://shamrockirishbar.com) or drop me an email at rileyrg AT gmail.com.

cheers

Richie.

Hi Rileyrg & Kuba,

What do you think having couple of pints, meet each other and plan sailing sometime in august in shamrock irish pub???

@riley whats Kapt Prussia?

Firt