Transferring money from UK to German bank account

66 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2014, 1:13:15, darrylyoung said:

I've lived in Germany since 2010 and I've always used TransferWise to send money back and forth between here and the UK. I still have a mortgage and student loan in the UK and after just the first month of bank transfers I realised there had to be a better way. Since then, I've sent quite a lot of money to and from the UK from Germany. A typical transfer I do is £250 and that costs me just over 1€ from TransferWise. I always check the conversation rate, too, and it's better than all other transfer sites. As I'd used them quite a lot from the start they invited me and a bunch of other people to a party in Berlin earlier this year. It was awesome and I got to meet the team behind the service. Anyway, this is most definitely a shameless affiliate link but I'm being honest and up-front about it. It really is a great service and if you use that link you'll get your first transfer completely free. I've seen people passing these links around in a few places and some people tend to get annoyed about it. Sure, it's my affiliate link but I found the service myself on a forum where somebody was saying the same thing and I've saved a fortune on stupid bank transfers since then.

I am thinking of using them to transfer money from UK to Berlin  to pay for a real estate I am buying (EURO 160.000) but I find a lot of very bad reviews about them.  

I've used Moneycorp over several years & everything has run well.

Edit: I see I wrote the same 4 years ago - I last used them last year & still all worked fine.  Same contact person there.

I use CurrencyFair to transfer money from the UK. 

https://www.currencyfair.com

They match transactions between users wanting to transfer in opposite directions. It's much cheaper than normal bank transfers, and I find it works very efficiently.

You can either accept the rate offered on the website or nominate your own rate and wait for a match - this can be fun if you have the time and can stand the stress!

I was thinking of using TransferWise or Revolut but now have come across Xendpay, who seem to offer even better rates.