Giving birth in Frankfurt

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Ok I am currently in the process of choosing a hospital to give birth to my first child. I have been to the information evenings in the burger hospital in frankfurt, however, I could not understand the speech given by the doctor there as I cannot speak german. There were well over 200 people there and I didn't have a chance to meet the doctor or midwife because there were too many people there asking their own questions.

My question is this, when we toured the rooms, there were I think 6 or 7 birthing rooms. I couldn't figure out whether they were private rooms or the usual rooms where someone is taking straight to on the onset of labor. I have heard that here in germany, the wards are very open and you have to pay extra for a private room.

Does that mean that while I am in the process of giving birth in the ward, are there other women present in the ward? as I have heard that there are 2 to 3 beds in one room.

Sorry to sound a bit clueless, but this is my first time giving birth and I don't know what to expect.

Also, I'm having trouble finding a midwife for aftercare in frankfurt. I have also looked into the birthing classes, but they are soo expensive! they are about 160 Euros for a weekend course in english. I was under the impression that the health insurance would cover the costs.

Please could someone shed some light on these issues. And sorry for asking sooo many questions.

Many thanks.

Hello, I am expecting my first baby middle of June and may be able to answer some of your questions.

I haven't been able to go to an open day at a hospital yet for various reasons but have had a tour of the maternity ward at my local hospital (Bad Homburg) during my antenatal class there and have spoken to lots of friends who have had babies here. The way I understand it is that there are the rooms where you actually give birth (Kreissaal) which are private i.e. you won't be giving birth with another labouring woman next to you and there are the the general wards where you are before and after the birth which have anything from private (single) rooms to double rooms and rooms for up to 6 women (Mehrbettzimmer).

You might want to contact Nordwest Krankenhaus as I know the Professor of the gynae unit as well as most of the staff in that unit speak very good English. You might be able to arrange a time to have a look round outside of the usual open day times. contact details NW Krankenhaus I have had a few examinations done here and am very happy with the level of care.

My friend has just had a baby in the Marienkrankenhaus (right behind Burger)and had a 2 bed room which really was fine. I don't know what the level of English spoken there is like, but she was very happy with the care she received there (after a not so great experience a few years ago in Markuskrankenhaus).Do you have state or private health insurance? If you have state insurance you will have to pay extra for a private or family room, private health cover will probably include this.

Regarding the midwife for aftercare I can't really help I'm afraid as I am in the same boat! I left it far too late and still do not have anyone. The MW from my antenatal class did suggest that I speak to the midwives in the hospital when I have the baby and see if any are available at short notice (because they are booked on estimated due dates and how many babies actually come on time?!). I know the health insurance companies do cover the cost of antenatal courses (mine cost €154 but was in German). The best thing to do is ring your insurance company to double check if you are unsure.

Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks for the information welshcake, it has put my mind at rest knowing that I won't be giving birth next to other women in labor. I was just a bit confused looking at the rooms.

I have public health insurance but I can't manage to find an english speaking antenatal class that my insurance covers.

Anyway thanks again for the info, and that reminds me (being pregnant and hungry hehe) - where can I find welshcakes around here?

You also have the option to üay extra for a room for the duration of your stay. When my sone was born we paid 50 a night for a familienzimmer which gave you a private room and extra bed and meals for an extra person. The price varies per clinic.

Health insurance does cover the birthing course but they do not pay for optional courses like partner courses, english ect.

They also pay ruckbildungs after birth.

Contact the clinic you plan to give birth at for leads on midwives. But you are also entitled to midwife care during pregnancy I am 12 weeks and already have a midwife I work with every few weeks and it is paid by health insurance in addition to the fraien arzt.

You also have the option to hire a preselected midwife for birth but that runs 300 euro out of pocket. Check out www.hebammensuche.de to search for people with english skills. Otherwise you just get whoever is on duty. Doctoras only deliver high risk pregnancies or emerencies.

Anyway thanks again for the info, and that reminds me (being pregnant and hungry hehe) - where can I find welshcakes around here?

ha, I wish I knew too :-) My mum was visiting last week and brought me some, we managed to get through them pretty quickly though! There is a British shop on Oederweg (at the bottom end) they might have some there?

All the best for your pregnancy, hope you find the right hospital for you soon :-)

My son (second child) arrived at the weekend so I can confirm the advice youve been given already and add a couple of points.

1) You should already have a(n english speaking) midwife. This will almost always NOT be the midwife in the hospital who delivers your baby, but someone who will support you prior to and after the birth. This is also the person who will hold ante-natal courses for you. Get someone recommended by your gynecologist (you have one of those, right?). Cost is bourne by your health isnurance.

2) In a "normal" clinic you have a bed/room on a ward but give birth in a separate "Kreissaal" where you stay from when the contraction get earnest to a couple of hours after the birth. The ward you end up in will depend on the clinic you go to- many have two bed rooms anyway, some may have four beds (nowadays rarely more) to a room but you can book a private/family room either using private health insurance of paying it yourself. Cost can be anywhere from 50 - 120 euros a night.

3) In almost any large town there will be several clinics - Try and get to see any that interest you on a general tour and go back for a personal appointment to the one you like the most. Both the tours and the appointment are something your midwife can/will arrange for you.

4) German health insurance covers a very good level of care during pregnancy, but there are a pile of extra tests and investigations you can have done privately (ie. pay for yourself) which are useful (particularly with regard to rare but nasty diseases) but not too expensive. Again ask your midwife or gynecologist.

Good luck!

Hi there,

I gave birth at Berger last year and birth etc was all excellent and English wasn't a problem. The after care is more difficult, purely because there are so many babies born there...and less English spoken by the nurses. Nordwest was recommended by two friends, but as I had a prem delivery, wasn't an option. The geburtshaus is brilliant for advice. Their hebamme Lisa speaks English and is amazing. There are also other English speaking midwives there who can point you in the right direction, so hopefully you find an English speaking midwife for after the birth. Berger had two ladies to a room in the maternity ward, although you could pay extra for the family room...but it is very busy! Good luck!

I did the same thing (attended the infoabend even though I couldn't understand much of what was going on). It all worked out though.

I gave birth to my first last year in Aug. and if I could change one thing it would be to have a room to myself. It was too costly (95€ per night) at the time. It wasn't unbearable to have to share a room with another person, just a bit frustrating and annoying.

The room where I delivered my baby had only staff members (Dr's, Nurses, etc) in it and after I delivered, I was taken to ‘my room' which had two beds/one bath. So, I shared a room with one other person. When I realized that there was no sheet, nor something else to separate us, I asked about pricing for a private room. It was bit uncomfortable because shortly after I'd delivered, I was wheeled to my room, still woozy/delirious and sporting a ‘barely hanging on’ hospital gown and my roommate had visitors! I was so worried I was going to accidentally flash them or make a mess, plus it was my first time doing... everything! and I was terribly self-conscious (breast-feeding, soothing, etc). I hated that part of it the most. Everyone was really nice about it and congratulated me but I wanted nothing more than to be alone with (read:stare in awe at) my new little baby.

Then, there was the first night that the baby gets used to digesting the breast milk and she cried a lot. I felt terrible because I didn't want to wake my sleeping neighbor and her baby so I tried to scurry out of the room (at 3am, stitched and delirious) and it sucked monkey balls.

I also didn't participate in any birthing classes as I ran into trouble with the language (I expected this though) so I used friends’ experiences, the internet, and DVD's as my resources.

If it is an option, I'd suggest getting your own room. It will ease the tornado of semi-chaos (IMO). I also didn’t like the shift changes at the hospital because often, with the shift-change, came different moods, ideas, demeanor and less familiarity. I lucked-out though and delivered with a great team.

Overall, it's not so bad (sorry if I'm scaring you). The staff was more than competent, my roommate was very nice and everyone was more than happy to speak in English with me in my delirious/anxious state. I was just wishing for more privacy. It was my first stay in the hospital ever though (in the US, or anywhere) and I checked out 2 days after the birth as I couldn't wait to be in the comfort of my own home.

I didn’t have a midwife until I left the hospital (a recommendation from one of the midwives that assisted with the delivery) and she came to my home once a week for 15 min or so, for 8 weeks and that was it.

I wasn’t sure what to expect re the entire process but that was the beauty of it cause I had no expectations (except privacy) so I wasn’t disappointed and was pretty happy with everything.

Good luck! And remember to take care of yourself and everything will work out just fine ;)

etc) in it and after I delivered, I was taken to ‘my room' which had two beds/one bath. So, I shared a room with one other person. When I realized that there was no sheet, nor something else to separate us, ...

Yes, the lack of privacy and everything being out in the open in German hospitals takes some getting used to. You'd think some clever person would have seen those nice curtains in some American hospital series and introduced them here.

I can't even remember now, my kids are 16 and 19, but I think I was in a 4 bed room for our first child and a 6 bed room with a sort of separating wall for our second. Bathrooms down the hall. Tons of fun.

would the moderator please merge this topic with the existing forum:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86317