UK apps for Samsung "Smart" TV's

448 posts in this topic

A somewhat different question here.

Regarding our German channels which we get off Satellite. I have noticed there doesn't seem to be any way I can re-organize the channel numbering to an order I would prefer. i.e. I would like to move ARD HD to channel 1 and so on.

I have found a way to select favourite channels and shift those around, but they retain the numbering which is a real hassle. i.e. I can put ARD HD to the first position, but that would remain say channel 463, then the next channel maybe channel 82, the 3rd, channel 1934 etc. It's all mess.

I know on the DVB-T services, I can change the channel numbers, just not on the DVB-S. Is there any way around this?

This weekend I was at my in-laws home in Bavaria and they have a DVB-C setup with the same problem. Originally, they also could not change the DVB-C channel order, but could the DVB-T ones. However, whilst there, I done a retune and just before that started it asked if I wanted to have automatic numbering which I said no - and all of a sudden I could change the DVB-C channel numbers. This was an LG TV set. Does anyone know if something similar or a hack is available for the Samsung. I would really love to be able to do this.

Good afternoon ladies (possibly) and entleman (probably)

I discovered this forum this week with a Google search for Samsung and BBC iPlayer. I must say I find your discussions very interesting and they helped me on the way.

First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Fred, I am a dutch citizen and resident and the reasonably happy owner of a Samsung EU40D7000 3D LED TV + a Samsung HT-D7200 N Blu Ray Home Cinema System (equiped with it's own SmartHub. I too wanted to have access to the 24 HD streams for the London 2012 Olympics, bur other then you guys I've achieved that by making use of thew Astra 1N on 28.2 east on the DVB-S tuner in the TV instead of through the iPlayer.

Still, the iPlayer would be very nice to have as well, so I have been following your ïnstructions" and first of all obtained a SmartDNS with Overplay. Tested that op my Samsung Netbook (there is indeed a lot of Samsung in the house) and managed to get the iPlayer working in the Mozilla browser. So, indeed BBC now thinks I'm living in the UK. Also tried it on the new iPad (which actually belongs to my wife) where I installed the BBC iPlayer app availabel in the appStore and that too works like a dream.

So you would think that nothing stands in the way of the Samsung TV to do the same! Followed the procedures:

1)

Sorry, connection failed (or more likely my fingers are to big for the keyboard and I pressed a send button)

Anyway, lets continue.

As I said I followed the procedures:

1) I changed the location in the smarthub to UK (ffw 2 8 9 rew) and installed the iPlayer app.

2)

Same thing happened again, don't now what it is, sorry.

2) Changed the DNS in the networksettings in the TV from automatic to manual and entered the IP adres given by Overplay.

TV connects to the internet with the new settings, so theoretically I now have to options:

1) I can try to open the iPlayer via the TV webbrowser. This works, but I get the message that my Adobe Flash player needs updating. Well, that is not possible unfortunately.

2) I can start the iPlayer app. That too works only partially. As soon as I try to start the playback I get the message to tell me that this content is not available. It doesn't tell me why though.

If anyone of you v=can help me on my way it will be immensly appreciated.

Hi taxi,

There could be two issues here:

1) I believe you have a D-Series 2011 model TV. I have read of some people who have these earlier models to have problems with the iPlayer and ITV apps because of some changes that was made with Flash and the older TV's haven't been updated yet. Samsung has slowly (and many say incredibly slowly) working it's way down the models from the top end 2012 and hopefully will get to the 2011 models.

I would write to Samsung UK and ask them if this is an issue and if so when will it be updated. You could also ask the good folk at the 3rd party Samygo forums: http://forum.samygo.tv - but in the Samsung case, don't mention you are tying to watch iPlayer outside the UK.

I would also go to the digital spy forums here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=193 and ask them if they have had success with your specific Samsung model, but again don't mention you are outside of the UK, it will just complicate matters.

2) If Samsung says it should work, and people at DigitalSpy or SamyGo says it should work, then contact Overplay. The SmartDNS system with Overplay often needs to be calibrated to specific hardware and software. So, although iPlayer may work on a PC, iPad, and my model Samsung TV, it may not work with your model.

I wish I could help more, but having a different model TV, I can't. Let us know here if you get success though.

Thanks ovbg, useful suggestions and I will certainly visit those forums for info.

Fortunately I found a work around yesterday. As I mentioned I have the D7000 Smart TV and also the HT-D7200 Bluray system with it's own SmartHub. I have changed the networks settings on the HT and the country of origin, downloaded the iPlayer app from the UK Samsung store and it works! So I now have the best of both worlds, one SmartHub located in the UK with the iPlayer, one SmartHub located in Holland with all the dutch local stuff and all the live UK stuff via the satellite dish. The next problem now is to get the subtitles working in the iPlayes. Works fine on the iPad with the touchscreen, but can't for the life om find the button on the remote to activate the "S" button in the iPlayer on the TV. Any suggestions??

Agreed, that's the perfect solution really.

Regarding the Subtitles, on our Samsung TV, that exists when you start playing the video on iPlayer, at the bottom of the screen for a few short moments are a few choices including switching HD on, and the subtitle "S" button. It maybe the same on the Blue Ray Player.

I managed to get this working with my D series TV that I bought about a year ago. I took me a while to figure out, but eventually I realized I had to do two things:

1) Set up a VPN. I actually set up a second modem and hacked it (using DD-WRT firmware) to run my UK VPN permanently, so that essentially my UK IP address is "always on" and feeding directly to the TV.

2) I then had to hack the TV as it was set with German location default settings. I downloaded an online tool that functions as an engineer's remote for the TV and can access the secret menus. This allowed me to change the TVs regional settings to the UK.

Having done both of these things, I was able to access and install the likes of BBC iPlayer, Netflix, etc. It works very nicely.

It is the same on the BluRay When you start play you get these choices. On the BluRay they are (from left to right) a PlayButton (right arrow), the S button (subtitles, a progressbar, a mention of the time played / total time and lasrly the loudspeakerbutton (sound on/off). The problem is that i can't get to any of these buttons. The iPlayer reacts to the PlayButton on the remote of course, I can move ffd or rew using the remote, sound on/off is no problem with the Mute button on the remote, but for the life of me I can't get the S button activated. If I try the Subtitle button on the TV remote it says ""Not available". So I'm really stuck there.

On the TV, this panel is accessed via the arrow buttons (up, down, left and right). Does your Blueray player have such buttons? If not, and you have an iPhone or Android phone, maybe try the Samsung remote App - perhaps this does.

Got it working on the TV as well now. Have now BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and BBC Sports app all working. Simple and really STUPID mistake. Checked everything once more and found the SmartDNS being 1 number out (18 instead of 19 ouch!). Changed it and the iPlayer worked. Yhis also solved my iPlayer subtitle problem. Can now activate the "S" button in the iPlayer with the "subtitles" button on the TV remote. So now switched the location in the SmartHub on the TV to UK and set the SmartHub on the HT-D7200 back to Holland. For some (firmware??) reason I can't load the ITV Player and BBC Sport apps on the HT-D7200. Mind you, on the D7000 (and D8000 as well probably) you DO NEED the latest firmware which is the 1025.1. The ITV Playes and BBC Sports apps apparently won't work with a lower version firmware.

Hope this information may be of some use to one or more users of this forum.

Fred

I have just acquired a Samsung UE32EH5300 tv.

Dows anyone have any tips on how to set the smart hub to UK settings on this model?

Do I need to accesss the service menu?

No, you must go to a hidden menu.

Try pressing the following:

ff 289 rew and enter.

(from memory, I had to do it a couple of times to key it all in just right) This should get you to a hidden menu where you can select the new country store. It will delete all existing apps and start from fresh, so you will loose any German or Spanish apps you use. But you can always go back to the German or Spanish app store if you are not interested in UK apps any more. (i.e. you loose nothing important)

Make sure you have all the latest firmware updates.

If you did manage to get to the UK store. I can't be sure if the BBC or ITV app will even be there. I know it works for the more high end models, but it certainly is worth a try for your TV. Do let us know if you have success or not.

You will need some sort of Smart VPN service. I use Overplay (www.overplay.net) and you only really need their cheapest offering which is just the SmartDNS. You don't need the full VPN service which costs more, as you can't setup a VPN on the TV.

You will also need to go into your Samsung TV's network settings (standard menu) and follow Overplays instructions about changing the DNS server address. (Alternatively, you may be able to do this directly in your router which will work for all devices in your wifi)

Is there any way to have Hulu, iPlayer, ITV, SBS, ABC and the NZ channels all on one device, all at the same time? Overplay is pure gold, but if I can't use these services on my TV it's pretty useless. I'm thinking about giving it a shot with XBMC.

The current state of on demand television is truly a joke. If I could buy a box and have unlimited everything (music, movies and TV) for 50 euros a month I'd do it. Media companies are getting 0 euros out of me at the moment, and I doubt too many people are paying more than that, so it'd be win/win for everyone. Their stupidity in the matter makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I pirate something they created.

Is there any way to have Hulu, iPlayer, ITV, SBS, ABC and the NZ channels all on one device, all at the same time? Overplay is pure gold, but if I can't use these services on my TV it's pretty useless. I'm thinking about giving it a shot with XBMC.

I know what you mean. It's a shame that so many services concentrate on mobile devices or computers rather than TV's themselves. The main reason is licensing which is a minefield, but that doesn't really help us. But yes, there is a way - it's just not easy or practical.

1) The laptop: Basically, you can do all this really cheaply by having a laptop with HDMI out. You can either access the services via their official sites or through an XBMC frontend. The catch is that it is not terribly practical with the cable attached, and the UI is not the best. You need a relatively gutzy laptop. I have a 2year old ASUS which really is not up to standard. Video stutters since some updates about a year ago.

2) A new Macbook: New Mac's with Mountain Lion have Airplay built in. I have not tested this myself, but apparently it does an absolute fantastic job at Airplaying everything on your Macbook to the TV - no cables needed. Catch: You need an Apple TV as well. Also, same issue with UI as above. No idea if it requires the laptop screen to be playing during Airplay.

3) An iPhone/iPad + ATV. This is one method I use. Many Apps exist for the iPad (iPlayer, ITV, 4oD, 5oD, ABC, SBS) though nothing from New Zealand yet worth mentioning. The catch is that it is a bit hit and miss with their Airplay efforts. iPlayer Airplays quite well at full screen but not in full HD like on the Samsung TV. ITV airplays even better, 4oD recently stopped Airplay and 5oD airplays but not in full screen. ABC is like ITV and does a great job at Airplay (and even slightly better than their poor quality webpage) but SBS won't yet work with Overplay on the Laptop unlike on the PC. (It does have Airplay though). RTE from Ireland also Airplays pretty good. Hulu though requires a paid subscription to work off anything other than a PC, so no free stuff on the iPad or iPhone.

So, it works for some, but not all. When it does work, it is great as the iPad is possibly the best user interface for this type of thing. I use this method myself but am disappointing television from New Zealand is so far behind in the supported devices category. With this, you can also use the excellent FilmOn App which Airplays perfectly. I also use a great app called "File Browser" that will browse and play films and TV shows on my NAS and Airplay perfectly in full HD to my TV.

4: One thing I have heard some people like is XBMC on an Apple TV 2 (not the latest ATV3 as there is no jailbreak for that yet). Apparently, you can get all the UK, Australian and NZ on-demand services working, but I read it is quite an effort and there is no guarantee things will remain working if/when the broadcasters start moving their posts around again.

At the end of the day, option one, with Overplay will get you everything you need at the lowest cost: All the services, but a crap UI and annoying cable. Option 2 is an expensive way to get that wireless. Option 3 has the best "official" potential, but is still lacking due to licensing or policy issues by the broadcasters (It's not Apple's fault here as Airplay can work perfectly if implemented the correct way) and option 4 may offer everything with a good UI, but may require a lot of hacking and work to keep operating.

The problem is, that at this stage every country is blocked as if it were a national border. This is due to licensing reasons by the content makers. The broadcasters would love people everywhere in the world to watch their TV - but the companies they buy their content from say NO. They want to sell it to each individual market, which is fair enough. It's a bit like a shop wanting to sell a product to each person rather than only once and everyone can use it.

But there should be ways around this these days. We live in a global world now, so we should be able to "subscribe" to other countries services. It would be possible to do this in such a way that everyone is happy. We get the content we want, the broadcaster gets more money, and the content provider ensures they still have multiple markets. It's just that all of this is run by old companies frightened by the new tech and loosing their business by trying something so radical and new.

The current state of on demand television is truly a joke. If I could buy a box and have unlimited everything (music, movies and TV) for 50 euros a month I'd do it. Media companies are getting 0 euros out of me at the moment, and I doubt too many people are paying more than that, so it'd be win/win for everyone.

Actually, in my opinion many on demand services are amazing, especially as the ones I watch are free. Let's consider that for a moment whilst I list some of the ones I like... these are free!

* BBC iPlayer: Probably the best of them all. Available on almost every platform and offering the last week of most shows, many if beautiful HD. An excellent interface and some series they retain available until all have been shown. They plan to have their entire back catalog available, but at the moment the back catalog is limited. Available direct on some Smart TV's including the Samsung and has full screen Airplay on iDevices. Amazing as it is all totally ad-free.

* ITV player: Not as good quality as the BBC (lower than SD, but acceptable). Some back catalog, and most new shows for a month. On Samsung TV's and with full screen Airplay.

* 4oD: Quite a good back catalog, though the back catalog has poorer video quality than their new material. On very few devices compared to above. No Airplay on iDevices (used to have this but removed it)

* 5 On demand: Well, I never watch this, but it seems to have most if not all of their current shows. Was on Sony TV's, maybe still there? Has Airplay, but not full screen.

* RTE: Excellent player from Ireland's main network. Not the best video quality though. Excellent iPlayer app as well with full screen Airplay

* ABC: Same as above, excellent content from ABC, but probably the poorest video quality of them all. The iPad app has full Airplay and seems a bit better in video quality than the PC version (nothing to do with being in Germany either - it's horrible for Australians as well. There is also a direct Samsung App, but you need to access to Australian App store which deletes the UK apps. Like the BBC, no ads.

* SBS: Excellent range of foreign films and TV shows in original language with subtitles. Possibly the best free foreign language TV archive in the world. Video quality ranges from horrible to very good, but almost impossible to control. Worth checking out though. Works great on a PC or Mac, but the iPad app doesn't work with overplay yet.

* TVNZ: Very good range of TVNZ shows available. All their new shows, plus a back catalog from the last couple of years. Video quality with Overplay on a PC or Mac is excellent - not quite BBC iPlayer HD quality, but above all the others on this list. Only catch - only on a PC or Mac.

* TV3: Average content available and good quality. Possibly the only TV channel I have got working on Samsung's web browser (TV), though it does crash so often it's not really worth the effort.

And I haven't even gone through the US services like Hulu or the separate networks yet. Mainly because I find their free offerings very limited compared to the ones above, and they have so many ads it's not worth my effort. But I suspect Americans who are more used to this will love them.

Their stupidity in the matter makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I pirate something they created.

Well, theft is still theft. I have so much great free content available, that I just can't justify stealing to fill my TV viewing habits. Why? As far as watching films, it is extremely easy to get them on to your TV the legal way - you just may need to rent or buy them (like any other product)

Getting television is a bit harder, but certainly not impossible. If you have a laptop with HDMI out, there is certainly no reason to steal shows. Just plug your laptop into the TV - Your person comfit with quality UI gives no justification for theft.

Nope.

You need to be in the SmartTV screen. So, first go there, then that key sequence and a list of countries will suddenly appear on the screen.

I use XBMC on a home built media player and on a jailbroken Apple TV 2 and with the various plug-ins available I'm able to watch the iPlayer and ITV catchup services as well as anything that's on FilmOn, all my downloaded media, stream podcasts etc. etc. There are also on demand movie plugins where you can stream for free, but these vary in terms of reliability. The TV catch up plugins also require a proxy of some sort, I use Tor as explained in one of my other posts but I'm not sure if this would work for Hulu.

Probably the cheapest route to XBMC is with a Raspberry Pi and a pre-built XBMC image, such as Raspbmc, although I've not tried this platform yet. Otherwise I'd say get an Apple TV 2 and jailbreak it (as ovgb says, there's no jailbreak for the ATV3 yet) but bear in mind that the ATV doesn't not have any storage to speak of, so you'll need some sort of media server/NAS etc. if you wish the play content you've downloaded. If you want to go down the Tor route, you'll need to run that somewhere too, I use Windows Home Server as the backend.

I've been using XBMC a few years now and am very happy with it!

Tim.