Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Checkpoint Charlie for sale

10 posts in this topic

Checkpoint Charlie is for sale

Apparently it was bought by two Irish brothers a few years ago who since went broke and was then taken over by NAMA which is a Irish government body which took on bad debt. So basically it is owned by the Irish Government

We also own a shopping center in Kiev and half of London

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0414/1224314731504.html

Just please don't turn it into an Irish Bar. These places are the scourge of mankind. You could climb to the top of Everest and find an Irish Bar there. All of them sell over priced and watered down beer to English speaking foreigners who are too terrified to go into a 'local' bar.

I was in Mongolia recently and was horrified to discover that Ulaanbaatar has two large ones pretty close to each other.

The reality is that very few of these "Irish Pubs" are in any way Irish. In Berlin I don't think any of the Irish pubs are Irish owned, just some opportunistic Germans who use the burgers/ football/ live music/ expensive beer/ stag party format and put some Irish sounding name above the door. The Europa Center sums it up really, Disney land of Irish pubs and it called "Irish Pub", how authentic. Shame really.

Checkpoint Charlie is now known as Snackpoint Charlie, one of the most culturally and historically important landmarks in the world has been turned in to a feeding trough for gurning tourists.

I have to disagree with headwrecker, based purely on personal experience. The Europa Centre place is the epitome of the irish pub of the eighties and nineties. Really, really, REALLY awful instant coffee. If it was really run by a German, they'd know how to make coffee?

Thankfully, many irish pubs in ireland have learned how to make coffee.

;)

I was in an Irish bar in France before where they turned of the Irish game at half time and turned on the English game during the qualifiers last year...

Place was run my French Mafia, nothing Irish about it...

The reality is that very few of these "Irish Pubs" are in any way Irish. In Berlin I don't think any of the Irish pubs are Irish owned,

No there is one.

In Berlin I don't think any of the Irish pubs are Irish owned

Finnegan's is irish-owned

I have to disagree with headwrecker, based purely on personal experience. The Europa Centre place is the epitome of the irish pub of the eighties and nineties. Really, really, REALLY awful instant coffee. If it was really run by a German, they'd know how to make coffee?

They probably kept that for authenticity from the time it was run by Mike Smith and Paddy Scanlon (as well as the Harp, Kilkenny, Folk Pub, the Original irish Pub in Eisenacher Str.).