Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Looking for apartment in Braunschweig

10 posts in this topic

Our son has been living in Braunschweig for two years. He loves Braunschweig and is staying to complete his Abitur and then go to University. He has been trying to find his own apartment in the city or near Prinz Albert Park where he also plays football for Freie Turner Braunschweig. It's been almost two months with no luck. He's been using an internet site and replying to tons of advertisments but by the time he gets an appointment or responds the nice places are taken. He has excellent references. We'll be paying for his apartment and we encouraged him to start offering to pay 3-6 months in advance to make his offer 'stand out' from others, but he says German's don't do that sort of thing. Any advice on the Braunschweig apartment market and/or on alternate ways to find and secure an apartment - that are culturally acceptable - would be greatly appreciated.

Your son is right and anything other than standard payment is viewed askance here in Germany. Not judging your motives, I know the feeling of desperation when looking for a flat! But since most places will require a deposit (Kaution) of 3 months cold rent in advance anyway, this seems to give landlords enough security.

Internet is not always the be-all and end-all. Get your son to peruse the local newspapers (Braunschweiger Zeitung and Neue Braunschweiger Zeitung, if Google informs me correctly) - they will have accommodation ads in their Wednesday and Saturday editions. Some, but not all the print ads will also be on the newspaper website. Best is to get the paper early, and immediately start calling people at 8:00 a.m. to arrange a viewing asap.

You don't mention which sites he is using. If he's not already using sites like wg-gesucht.de - they have more flatshares, but also some flats as well - and null-provision.de, he might be luckier there.

For adverts off internet sites, it's also best if he rings up straight away if a phone number is given, rather than e-mailing and waiting for a response, as many landlords will get loads of mails and would perhaps understandably rather deal with phone calls rather than spend the time necessary to answer mails.

Probably already in the works, but make sure his teammates and school mates (and their parents, and the Schulleitung) know that he is looking for a place.

I agree with the.frollein. Offering more money can be somewhat offensive to the German sensibility. That being said, the Braunschweiger Zeitung on Wednesdays and Saturdays seems to be the most reliable way to go. We had no trouble getting a viewing of apartments by calling early. 8AM should definitely be OK. Also, I noticed that there seems to be signs for apartments hanging around the neighborhood. I saw once a lovely apartment on the Ring (over Jacque's Wine Depot) by calling a number on a sign attached to a lamp post in the neighborhood. Also, I was walking home from visiting a friend and noticed an empty apartment. I rang the doorbell of the Hausmeister and got a viewing.

Finally, and possibly most pertinent, I have a friend who lives across from Vier Linden, I believe she will be moving out in August or September. Perhaps her apartment will also be free then. Just message me and I'll ask.

Good Luck!

Arthur

And talk to all the guys in his soccer club and make sure they know he's looking. Networking can do wonders.

Did he try to contact the housing cooperatives in Braunschweig?

BBG http://www.baugenossenschaft.de/

Bauen+Wohnen http://www.bauwo-bs.de/

VWG http://www.vwg-braunschweig.de/

Wiederaufbau http://www.wiederaufbau.de/

Niebelungen http://www.nibelungen24.de/

Here is another website that works without paying realtor fees:

wg-gesucht.de On the drop box click Wohnung and next to it Braunschweig. There are a lot of them for 300-400 Euros warm for 1-2 room apartments.

Another one is kleinanzeigen.ebay.de Go to Immobilien - rent apartment - Braunschweig. Then click on Angebote von privat in the green section.

Found both of my places on these, just be careful, these sites also have scammers on there. If you see an ad especially if the pictures look like out of a magazin: Be Aware! And of course, if the price seems very low! Good luck!

Hey there,

sorry to open up an older thread again. I'm moving to Braunschweig at the start of November and was just wanting to enquire as to whether anyone on Toytown knows of anyone with a flat to rent. I've gone down the route of the usual websites and newspapers and have sent off plenty of applications, but thought I'd ask here too, just in case.

Ideally I'd like to find somewhere in the Innenstadt or Oestliches Ringgebiet areas, 2-3 rooms, EBK, and Warmmiete somewhere between EUR 450-550.

If anyone happens to hear of anything, drop me a wee message :D

Cheers folks, and have a nice weekend

Just wanted to follow up with a thank you to everyone for their suggestions. It was finally October before he found a place but it's in the city and it's wonderful! What finally happened is that he aligned himself with a very nice property agent who understood his plight and was a big help in mediating with property owners (our son being only 19, a student, and an American - people were concerned about the ability for him to pay/student parties, etc.). We had to pay for the agent's services when he finally found him a place, but the money was well worth it. Thank you again!

Topics merged by admin

Hi everyone, 

I'm an Australian English teacher soon moving to Braunschweig and wondering what the best way is to find a shared apartment? Internet searching is giving me very limited results. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Laura

wg-gesucht.de might help. Also there are few other websites. Apart from that posting on facebook group might help. Finding a shared apartment should be comparatively easy. All the best!