Stupid names for children

806 posts in this topic

holy smokes, your grandmother knew Ima Hogg. If its the same one...really could there be more than one...she was travelling in some pretty fancy circles.

Nope, don't think it was the same one, though she would have been about the right age. Grandma's from Ohio, and she did say that Hogg was the lady's married name, not her maiden name.

I'd forgotten about this, but there was a Morrow family in my town who named one of their daughters To. There was also a Justin Till, and a Tamalpais, and several others. I sure do miss the west coast.

A friend of a friend is a teacher in Paisley and had Armani and Versace McGonnigal (as pupils)!! Classy indeed.

he named his kid 'Tu'

That really is a stupid name. he should have used a normal name like Tom or somesuch. Sheesh!

I once went out with a girl called Ophelia Balls.

I went to uni with two brothers from Zimbabwe who were called Houston and Dallas. I thought that was pretty cool.

My family had a cuck once who like to name the kids after famous people. Glad I wasn't born then to that nut.

Robert Phillip Balch

George Burr Jefferson

Samuel Benjamin Franklin

John James Madison

William Philpot Curran

Of course they all had the same last name as mine. Glad that this didn't catch on as a family traditon.

A very good friend of mine had a baby girl 2 years ago - he is very into cycling. They named their dog Sidi (like the cycling shoes) and their daughter was named Kadence - which is cadence - another cycling term. I was relieved (sort of) when they named the second girl Skylar instead of Handlebar.

this confirms that Pajero can mean "wanker" in Spanish:

The car was apparently named after a south american wild cat called the felis pajero.

I wonder what that cat does all day.

In Uruguay there are a lot of guys called Washington (pronounced vasinton).

And then people name their kids with English names, but have no idea how to spell them. I've seen

Michael (Maicol)

Jessica (Shesica)

Johnatan (Yonatan)

I had a classmate called Angeles Vianna

One guy proudly presented his twin daughters Porsche and Mercedes.

Well the car was named after a girl called Mercedes and are you sure it wasn't Portia, which is supposed to be a bit of a posh name. :)

Well the car was named after a girl called Mercedes and are you sure it wasn't Portia, which is supposed to be a bit of a posh name.

Nope, not Portia as Merchant of Venice - Porsche, pronounced Por-shee. And I am convinced the guy had never heard of the Spanish name Mercedes.

I briefly thought about calling my son Tadgh. It's origin is the Gaelic for poet and the pronunciation is like Teig (German for dough).

He can laugh about it now but it was a close call.

we used to know a Michael Hunt..shortened to Mike Hunt. straight up. *ahem*

What about George Foreman...

he named all 7 (or however many) after himself - they were all George's!

Even the girls!!!

I guess he got hit in the head too many times and is short on memory and thats why he had to name them all after himself.

That or he is wayyyy too into himself.

Well, that is a bit better than letting your kid name itself when it is still young like Peekaboo Street. (Have to admit that is pretty cool though.)

George is the name I wish I had. At least it used to be until Seinfeld and the Bush men came and ruined it.

I briefly thought about calling my son Tadgh. It's origin is the Gaelic for poet and the pronunciation is like Teig (German for dough).

Yeah when I was pregnant I had considered that name too, then my hubby brought me to my senses (it was somthing I hadn't thought of, as the name was so familiar to me)

...as it was I had a girl anyway so it wasn't an issue in the end...