Stupid names for children

806 posts in this topic

My cousin named her 3 daughters Orenda, Aurelia and Rhapsody. Pretentiousness runs in the family.

Can you keep a straight face when they say "Those are Orenda's shoes", for example? :D

when you mentioned rules countries have for names. last year my roommate (in the US) was Geman (hahah well she still is!) and she was born in East Berlin. at the time you could only use German names. her parents wanted to name her Francesca, but it's Italian so they named her Franzeka (or something like that). so that's what everything legal says, but she uses francesca. funny thing is she's had problems with it b/c when she was little she received a letter with "francesca" written on it and not the German way and the authorities got involved and her parents got in trouble for allowing that to happen (and it didnt help that her dad was turned in by friends for having ideals against the East).

anyway.. there's more to it than that and i'm too lazy to type it (and dont want to have to put you through it!) so... just though of it when i read about laws/rules in countries pertaining to names :)

oh! one of my best friends is from Ecuador and she has told me that people in tiny villages will name their kids after random things or places like "new york, miami, ohio, jelly, and my favorite... BBQ sauce) (yes they, supposedly, did spell it b-b-q!)

@ipj

I named my son Nolan after Owen Nolan as well! Middle name is Daniel after my husband. Baby number two is Aydan Nikolas Middle name after me

My grandmother told me that when she was a girl there was a woman in her neighborhood named Ima Hogg.

holy smokes, your grandmother knew Ima Hogg. If its the same one...really could there be more than one...she was travelling in some pretty fancy circles. :o

I knew a guy in the Navy who was named Forrest. Wouldn't be so bad except his last name was Mapses. Also, several years back there was a story about a NJ couple that named their kid Colleen. Their last names were Gate so of course she would be called Col Gate.

As far as combinations go, the worst one I can think of was a South African presenter called "Scot Scott". That was his real name.

I went to school with a guy named "Adam Adams"...

How unoriginal can the parents get?!? :blink: I mean, there IS more than one name in the world...

That's actually great, sk8rgrl... not quite as ballsy as Major Major Major... but a sound attempt! :P

i guess nothing is as bad as when the Soviet people went a little overboard...

As you can see in this BBC report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4374826.stm) there are also quite a few Indians whose first names are Lenin, Stalin, Pushkin, Gagarin, etc. And where did they all meet recently? In Moscow, of course - except that this one is a village in India!

like Gwenneth Paltrow's daughter "apple"???

Yeah, she's pregnant now, so when her second baby's born, she'll have a "pear"

My Ma works in a hospital; once she was registering kids for vaccinations. One guy proudly presented his twin daughters Porsche and Mercedes. One woman said her son's name is Antoine and went on to spell it: A-N-T-W-A-N, adding "it's French, you know".

Nothing is as bad as a guy I went to college with - Harry Willey - but he was so cool that no one teased him about it (well, to his face anyway).

yeah, you only have to look at celebritys' kids names... Apple has been mentioned but what about Romeo?? That kid is going to get swung round the playground by its hood and scared for life, mind you, he probably won't cos all the little kids will be wanting an invite to Beckingham Palace for tea after school so they are probably all brown-nosing...

I think naming your kids something outlandish will make or break them depending on its personality. Brooklyn, Banjo, Blue Angel, Tiger Lilly and Daisy Boo are just a few freaky celebrity baby names I got when i googled...

I went to a school with a girl called "Secret". That must have given her a few years of therapy to work on.

My high school principal was "Carl Carlson".

If I had been born a boy, according to the Scottish family tradition in my dad's family, I should have been named "Murdo", after my grandfather. Mom said no way would she name her son that and they would have used his middle name of "Douglas".

It's a shame that Paris Hilton and Paris Latsis split up, would have been interesting to see what the would have called their child if they had had one...