Stupid names for children

806 posts in this topic

Please TTers, if you are stuck for a name for you fresh new baby, do not use the NFL draft list as a guide!

Examples?

Germans are getting worse and worse with names.. The name Finn in particular gets on my nerves.. But lots of Jason-Robert's or whatever too I seem to hear about.. Those are more kind of just gross. "Finn" though gets under my skin..

Herr Schlecker's (defunct shopping chain) parents were cruel to name him Anton. Or anything else beginning with A.

Kim Kardashian and Kanye West have named their baby "North West"

...not sure if the first name is just "North" and the "West" bit is his surname or if the baby is called North West West, or North West Kardashian, or North West Kardashian-West, or North West West-Kardashian ;)

Kim Kardashian and Kanye West have named their baby "North West" ...not sure if the first name is just "North" and the "West" bit is his surname or if the baby is called North West West, or North West Kardashian, or North West Kardashian-West, or North West West-Kardashian

surely Manchester would have been easier?

La-a. Pronounced... wait for it... La DASH a. Real name in NYC. I have a list of others from when I worked at a non-profit for kids. Will give you a new one sporadically.

"A name, for me, is a short way of working out what class that child comes from" (Katie Hopkins)

... her own daughter’s name is India

That must surely be the main reason for the daft names dealt out by her own subculture (or the one she aspires to): to show where they (want to) belong. Who in their right mind would call their daughter Lettice, unless they were also planning children called Bacon and Tomato?!

That must surely be the main reason for the daft names dealt out by her own subculture (or the one she aspires to): to show where they (want to) belong. Who in their right mind would call their daughter Lettice, unless they were also planning children called Bacon and Tomato?!

http://www.behindthename.com/name/lettice

My grandpa begs to differ.

post-4788-1374842865611_thumb.jpg

That cute little alien, by the way, is my Ma. 1939 photography was not very advanced.

Examples?

Germans are getting worse and worse with names.. The name Finn in particular gets on my nerves.. But lots of Jason-Robert's or whatever too I seem to hear about.. Those are more kind of just gross. "Finn" though gets under my skin..

There's a website dedicated to collecting names along the lines of "Jason-Robert":

http://chantalismus.tumblr.com/

We've had a huge influx of 'English' names in our school... none of them are particularly stupid but the pronunciation always throws me:

Samantha: pronounced 'Sah-man-sah'

Johnathon: Yo-nah-ton

Fred: Freed

Phinneus: Fee-nay-yus

We're also rocking a Waltons vibe with Mary-Ann, Ann-Mary, Mary-Lynn, Anna-Marie.

Other than those, we also have Stella (f), Cosmos (f) and Dion (m). Despite this, 'Lena', 'Lukas', 'Felix' and 'Lara' are by far the most popular names.

One of nephews is called "Victor-Hugo". That's his first name! I roll my eyes every time my sister shouts his name in public: "Victor-Hugo, stop that!", "Victor-Hugo, come here immediately!", "V-H, eat your veg!". Couldn't she just call him "Victor", or "Hugo"? No! It has to be "Victor-Hugo". She has two other young children with equally absurd names but I can't print them here for fear that she should ever google her children's names and be lead to this post. I'd never live it down. My greatest fear is that, if she has a fourth child, she'll name him "Isaac-Newton" or something.

Jolyon, Tancred, Wilfred."Posh" British baby names

We met a couple with 4 boys, Wilf, Sid, Bert and Ron. Just perfect. Never seen Wilf as a posh choice, but each to their own...

My Granny was called Gladys. Her sisters, Grace, Gwendoline and Gertrude. You couldn't make it up.