Stupid names for children

806 posts in this topic

When my wife was pregnant with our first child, she obsessed over the name and that it had to be something that could be recognizable/pronounceable in the US and Germany. She finally settled on Moritz, which no American can pronounce, but she was nonetheless equally obsessive about it. American names to her just all sounded redneck.

We went back and forth about this for a few weeks before I finally caved in and agreed as long as his middle name is Robert, after my father. It was really hard keeping it all to myself until he was born, but as soon as it was official, I started announcing the birth of Mo Bob (short for Moritz Robert in the most redneck fashion possible). It's been nearly 8 years and she's still pissed.

That's a cracker, CopyWriter! :lol:

I hope your wife appreciates how lucky she is to have married a guy with not only a sense of humour, but also the patience and discretion it took to not to let the cat out of the bag.

If you really want to tease her I'd suggest saying Bob was the better option as your uncles had wanted you to commemorate Grandpa Bits.

Mo Ritz Bits, anyone?

post-89810-13542302684775.jpg

2B

Mo Ritz Bits, anyone?

2B

I actually tried to teach every one to remember, "more Ritz" please. I guess they couldn't accept that it was that simple, they always said something more like more reeetz with the emphasis on reeetz. I tell them all to say MoMo, even Germans call him MoMo. I only use Mo Bob when I want to wind her (or him) up.

I've got a really cute picture of him at age 4 or 5, dressed in a black "business" suit with white shirt and burgandy tie--no socks or shoes, pushing a toy wheel-barrow through the grass. I've captioned it, "you can take Moritz out of the country, but you can't take the country out of Mo Bob."

When I lived in the States, my son wished to start playing baseball, and whilst standing on the sidelines during one of his games, one of the parents kept encouraging their sons; "Go on Wrangler!" "Come on Cherokee!"

Quite amusing, when they drove home in a Dodge minivan???

Also had a work colleague, who named his daughter "Candice.." Nothing unusual with this nomenclature, except his surname was "Apple..." Candy Apple.. All I could think of was; "might as well get the pole installed..!"

Who, What, Why: Why do some countries regulate baby names?

Your name's not allowed...

Iceland

Yes: Elvis

No: Carolina

New Zealand

Yes: Number 16 Bus Shelter

No: Yeah Detroit

Germany

Yes: Legolas

No: Matti

Sweden

Yes: Metallica

No: Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116

Japan

No: Akuma (means Devil)

Portugal

No: Mona Lisa

Denmark, France, Spain and Argentina also strict

Wirklich?? The mother of the 2 boys pictured at the end of the article is named Unwirklich Vin Zant. :blink:

Suri is also the name of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' daughter.

That's why I thought it was dumb. It's not a bad name, otherwise.

I've heard my share of ridiculous names (I knew a girl who was named "History" and her sister "Science" (in greek), I never knew what the problem of the parents was :D ).

Just noticed on the title and the OP topic the name Lambrini. It probably belonged to a greek girl and it is quite common as it means lucent, bright, so in the original language doesn't sound that comic.

Oh dear, a friend of mine just had a baby and whereas the name she gave the baby may not be a stupid name, another friend of mine (they don't know each other) has a cat with the same name, now everytime I see my friend's baby, all I can think of is a cat...

(the baby is gorgeous though)

The GerMan has clients who named their boys Mauritius and Anianus. Apparently Moritz and Andreas are no longer enough... :blink:

My mum once taught a little girl called Abeer. Not stupid in itself, but when added to her last name of Khan it's quite amusing.