Stupid names for children

806 posts in this topic

My mom had a Chevy Nova for years. She refused to give the damn thing up even though it was rusted and awful looking. She claimed it would call out to her in the parking lot and was always sure to give it a pat and thank it for getting her around safely. You could fit like 100 people into that car.

Wasn't there a SUV called the "Pajero" which was fairly harmless in European Spanish but meant wanker in South American Spanish or vice versa?

I knew someone who called himself Rich(ard) Pullin.

Often thought "Rich" was an odd diminutive to use in the UK. Normally they use "Dick".

Then it clicked.

Stupid 1st names are one thing, but not working out the implications of an innocuous first names combined with the surname is even worse.

RT

Those of you who know my real name.. now that is a stupid name for a kid. Btw, on Sunday we drove past a bus with the company name "Sieckendieck" written in huge letters on it. :D I really had to grin about that.

Stupid 1st names are one thing, but not working out the implications of an innocuous first names combined with the surname is even worse.

or sometime the parents do it intentionally... I went to university with a guy named Brett Andrew Starr...

B A Star

My Grandmother's brother was Frank Lea

F.Lea

Not intentional...

I also know someone called William Piatt Caulderwell Rowbottom...

I think it was infact William Caulderwell Piatt Rowbottom.

But when they arrived in the UK, they worked out that WPC was less interesting for the school bullies.

RT

Ikea?? why would anyone name their child for a ginormous cheap furniture shop?? :blink:

i also don't really get the whole fruit thing, like Gwenneth Paltrow's daughter "apple"??? why not grape, or banana or even a veggatable, "hi, this is my son, Turnip."...i guess flower names sound ok, but fruit...

but i guess nothing is as bad as when the Soviet people went a little overboard with their zeal for Revolution...it was very popular about 50 years ago or so to call your daughter Oktiabrina (for Oktober, when the 1917 revolution took place) or in the 60s, Yrosvkos, a name given to boys, it's an achronym, every letter of which stands for Yuri Gagarin In Space, ( in russian of course, he was the first man in space, made the old motherland proud)..there were a lot of other absurd ones, but i have forgotten them..

My brother went to school with a girl named Crystal Shanda Lear.

As far as just plain odd (not stupid) names go, one of my best friends named her son Basil. I don't think it's too bad, but I did when she first told me over the phone and I thought she said 'Dazzle'. :D

I've known both a Rain and a River. I kinda like those names.

My brother went to school with a girl named Crystal Shanda Lear.

As far as just plain odd (not stupid) names go, one of my best friends named her son Basil. I don't think it's too bad, but I did when she first told me over the phone and I thought she said 'Dazzle'.

I've known both a Rain and a River. I kinda like those names.

Ah the West Coast how I miss it...

yesss, west coast...my friend had a son and named him sky...to make things even sillier, her last name is forest. sounds like someone you would have meet at a greatful dead show...sky forest

A trend in Canada is to use Last names as first names, my brother named his son (after his favorite Hockey player) Dryden. Then my cousin named her boys Forest Tait Cantley and Bennett Shea Cantley- they go by Tait and Shea. So, maybe they will become more common like Hunter, Taylor and Skye (am sure there are alot more!).