Why are British people so unpatriotic?

119 posts in this topic

As this topic has kind of gone down the route of 'that woman'...

Maybe the policies and philosophies she brought in have something to do with this.

This was the time the 'me' phase in British society started. The time poeple became very material and so on..

It is such a jump, given the change in outlook, from a 'united Kingdom' view to a 'United Kingdom of me (and all connected, family etc)'?

Then began the downward spiral of selling off our national assets bought and paid for by every taxpayer on the cheap to her chums, and thrown some titbits to the middle and upper-class prols to keep them on board...

I agree with everything you say. But this was unsophisticated if somewhat more adventurous Toryism, all things considered

The really underhand trick was to create a new class of "anxious lower-middles" by allowing them to purchase their council houses. Now if that isn't turning decent folk into conned mini-capitalists on the cheap, I don't know what is

Could that make me patriotic? - um... well, no

Well... at my age I do understand younger people seeing that woman in a better light, but I was there, and my patriotism was beaten out of me during her reign.

Would you believe that after the winter of discontent, this young whippersnapper with no real political savvy persuaded his normally Liberal mother post the Thorpe affair that woman would be a better choice? It was the spring of 1979, I was still less than a year to voting age, punk had died in London and things were moving on. For some innocent reason I saw the possibility of our first female leader as a change for the good. What a complete lamb I was.

I cannot stand the iron lady either. I was born 77, grew up in Thatcher the milk snatchers time. I remember when mad cows disease came about and everyone was walking round with those t shirts with her face with cows horn with "mad cow" written on it hehehe.

But she never killed my love for Britain. Noone can. I have lived in Germany for over a decade and have dual nationality. I still pay the huge cost for my British passport because I love my country. I see the monarchy rather than the government being important. Of course the government make all the decisions, but just watching Prince Williams marriage made me feel proud.

I don't think the British are unpatriotic or ashamed of their country. I don't call in-your-face, loud, flag waving shouting from the roof tops about your home country patriotism- that's jingoism and nationalism.

The fact the British are more muted and subtle about how they express their national pride does not make them unpatriotic.

Brilliant, Bob. Never seen it before either. I've been closeted (don't even think it) with Noel Coward and madness for far too long.

Now, I've said this before, so I'll say it again, in so many ways: English patriotism is clearly different from British patriotism is completely different from all other kinds of patriotism, and in your attached little witty media ditty, Messrs. Flanders and Swann hit one of the key elements of English patriotism smack on the head: We are NOT foreigners. Everybody else is. Even Germans at home in Germany are foreigners. When I hear the cry auf deutsch, "Ausländer" I look at to whom they could possibly be addressing, for it cannot be me for I am English. Note how the Germans spell their own mother tongue with a little consonant, while we English always spell ours with a mighty capital Vowel. For Pity's sake, they've even got male tisch and female tabelle, but they never seem to allow them to breed.

Furthermore, as a quaint, and I am told, distinguished Englishman gentleman, I roam the foreign climes of the globe safe in the knowledge that wherever I am, the radius of an Edward I yard distance from my very being is always England. And never forget that it was good King Edward Longshanks, the Hammer of the Scots, who successfully brought the terrorist Wallace to justice.

Finally, do any other of us English living here have that strange urge, whenever one climbs an alp, to knock down the silly crossed stick on the top, and firmly plant our own flag in conquest... or is it just me? :unsure:

Finally, do any other of us English living here have that strange urge, whenever one climbs an alp, to knock down the silly crossed stick on the top, and firmly plant our own flag in conquest... or is it just me?

Nope, if I ever feel silly enough to climb a mountain and find an english flag on it, well it was a long climb and i needed some relief ... when thats done, ( and the wind has dried it a bit ) damn it´s cold up here, where my lighter... sorted. :P

...the huge cost for my British passport...

"Huge cost" - you can say that again :angry:

I've just remembered a class I was teaching in London donkey's years ago and the topic was patriotism.

A French guy, nose up in the air and with a I-fart-in-your-general-direction accent ,  made me burst out laughing when he then said: " you English are more nationalistic than we French."

😂

:lol::lol::lol:
It is one of those times when you need to have been present rather than read a description, which often is no substitute!!

On 30/05/2022, 17:44:40, snowingagain said:

Fuck, this is ugly.   Stonehenge  prefer "spellblinding".

Boris is insisting that we now call it "Thronehenge".

5 hours ago, hooperski said:

Boris is insisting that we now call it "Thronehenge".

Dave Allen destroyed the original some years ago...