2012 Poll Preferred Telecom Package by TT users

28 posts in this topic

Hello,

After searching the Telecoms & TV thread, there seems to be alot of comments that are outdated on which Telecom provider is the best or worst for service and price. We are moving near Stuttgart (70771) and searching for the best options for a Cable and a DSL/Phone package. We are thinking of Alice for DSL/Phone since they are currently offering a WLAN Home box for just the price of shipping (9,50 euro) without a monthly contract for for DSL and phone. We are also looking at Kabel BW for TV which after reading some of the comments seem to be a bad choice.

So any updated thoughts or comments?

Lets hope people have experience of several different providers on an equal basis in order to give a meaningful vote.

German Telekom have a flat rate of €34,95 for DSL connection = 16,000 telephone line and all calls within Germany to landlines for € 34,95.Then 3,95 for country flat i.e. Britain and you can lease a router for €2,95 a month.Just changed from Alice for this reason.I must state that i only had Alice for my internet connection beforehand Alice was AOHELL

I have the Telekom flat that Mik Dickinson mentions, for a DSL connection and calls to German landlines, plus the international flat for Western Europe and USA, and am extremely happy with it. Not sure how I managed it, but I am not leasing a router, I own one which Telekom gave me, so my fee is less that.

Alice customer service is non-existent, so while their fees may be lower, I am happy to forego a lot of grief and pay a bit more.

Don't have a TV, so can't help you with that question.

low use of what?

internet, german landline calls, german mobile calls, international calls, any calls at all at all?

Down the years tried a few telekom/DSL providers. All those I tried suck, only DT doesn't suck as much as the others. That said, their customer service seems to have come on leaps and bounds in the last 18 months. Set up Entertain for M-i-l. They couldn't have been more helpful, even although I was using a non-telekom Powerline for the router to Entertain box bit. Fine as long as you are happy with german language TV.

We pay €34,95 a month, for unlimited calls to landlines in Germany and 16Mb DSL.

if u think of getting cable tv, look if ur cable provider offers internet, maybe it's easier to get it all from one company than subscribing to 2 separate ones with different agreements. In Cologne there is Unitymedia, which offer TNT for example, which mostly shows reruns of sitcoms and dramas like two and a half men, home improvement, king of queens, they show all shows with english and german language, so it's possible to change the language to english. It cost 15 bucks a month and they even have an espn channel that shows some basketball and baseball games.

But be carefull, Unitymedia also advertises 100 mbit/s connection through cable, which unless they have some new technology isn't possible. In the USA the fastest through cable is 32 mbit/s. The only way to get 100 mbit/s is through fiber.

But be carefull, Unitymedia also advertises 100 mbit/s connection through cable, which unless they have some new technology isn't possible. In the USA the fastest through cable is 32 mbit/s. The only way to get 100 mbit/s is through fiber.

You're not in Kansas any more, Kevin.

Unitymedia offer connections up to 120Mbit/s using EuroDOCSIS 3.0 standard on many of their circuits - this is the 3rd generation of the international "Data OverCable Service Interface Specification" which can potentially move data at up to 300Mbit/s. The backbone is based on fibre, but delivery to the home is over standard coax.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It's down to DT or Kabel BW, we are leaning to DT because the per month rate is cheaper and we have a DT box already. However, Kabel BW offers English TV but according to the forum it seems like the package is not worth the money.

In general the biggest factor affecting how people rate these companies are not the services themselves but usually their experience of dealing with the company call centre, meaning opinions are wildly subjective unless you have a lot of them.

I would look at how much they charge you to ring them if you have a problem, what the T&Cs are and what content they offer, large parts of the networks especially the last mile are shared so its not always a good guide to how good the service will be.

If you only think you will watch one or two movies a week, my honest advice would be join the library they have DVDs and its free.

I have a thing against cable internet, they advertise huge speeds but if you use the internet primarily over WiFi you're not going to get much out of it, unless you have wireless n routers/receivers (which IMO aren't that much better IRL). Besides, they like to throttle your speed at certain times, and your overall speed is too mostly dependent on how many people in your area are connected.

The last nail in the coffin for me is that I read Kabel Deutschland filters bit torrent traffic.

But I haven't really looked at it in a while. Maybe I'm wrong?

I have unitymedia. I pay for 32 mbit and I get 31 - 32 mbit all the time. If I wanted I could get 128 mbit, but who needs that. If you buy a router from them, they will provide one that can handle the speed. It's not the providers fault if the rest of your wifi setup is not up to date to handle the traffic.

Arcor/Vodafone for >5 years, and I'm very happy with it. A €34 subscription provides flatrate to landlines in Germany and 16,000 whatevers internet. The best thing is for an additional €4 a month you get a flatrate to most of Europe, the USA, and various other places.

My only complaint is that whenever the deadline for rolling over the contract approaches, customer services start calling every day (because I'm rarely at home during the day they don't give up until they eventually get through to you.) The last guy who got through was muttering some intentionally-opaque sales claptrap about saving €5 a month and why would I want to give money away by not signing up right now. I asked him to clarify the offer, which he didn't. So asked him to put it in writing and he then started getting shirty at me, his customer. If this becomes a problem again, steps to prevent Werbeanrufe will be looked into.

Unitymedia - well they once attempted to collect hundreds of euros off me for services I never asked for on the basis that they had installed a connection in the house some years before. They eventually gave up when challenged to produce a contract with my signature on it.

if you have a TV, use a cable package for all your telecommunications need (except mobile phones). it's usually cheaper. i have telekom entertain package, can't speak for any other companies but i've been happy with the speed and TV channels so far. i can also download a home call app where i can make and receive phone calls using my house number with my mobile phones. completely unnecessary, just another perk!

I also have the DT home 16000 VDSL with TV package, service is good and helpful, BUT I have had problems with it since we switched from entertain Sat in march, I mean having one router blow, the new rented router defect, and at least once a week some sort of problem with the TV box, Picture freezing/pixelating, sound going out, even tonight Im waiting for the tech bloke to get back to me, we're thinking of going back to E-SAT. The English TV is okay, but its that Just ok. It could be because I live in a small village in the Pfalz, and in a Oldish house, but you shouldn't have these problems in Stuttgart.

Thx for the updates - quick question is it mandatory to have a year or 2 year contract with DT or can I do the monthly like Alice offers? My husband was burned before when he left for the US with DT on a 2 yr. contract.

Congstar (which is a sister company to Telekom offering basically the same services), 1&1 and Alice (O2) offer contracts without commitment, but are cheaper (usually €5/month less or free equipment) if you sign up for 2 years. Telekom offer some of their packages (e.g. Call&Surf Basic/Internet Flat) with 12 months minimum. All the rest are minimum 24 months.