Renting a car in the USA

24 posts in this topic

Yorkeau, I think that was true. The conditions have changed. The Alamo site gives this in the small print:

Der Mietvertrag:
Wir bitten Sie, am Alamo-Mietschalter folgendes bereitzuhalten:

• einen gültigen Führerschein aus einem europäischen Land
  • den Reisepass
  • den Mietwagengutschein (Voucher) bzw. Ihre Buchungsbestätigung
  • eine Kreditkarte im Namen des Hauptmieters zur Hinterlegung der Kaution oder zur Zahlung weiterer vor Ort gebuchter Leistungen

Unsere Preise gelten nicht für Staatsbürger der USA und Kanada bzw. Besitzern einer amerikanischen oder kanadischen Fahrerlaubnis. Durch Abschluss einer Buchung bestätigen Sie dies und akzeptieren, dass Ihre Buchung bei der Anmietung mit einer Fahrerlaubnis aus den USA/Kanada abgelehnt werden kann.

If you look hard enough, a lot of the companies this summer have something similar. Might be new. Hopefully the folks at the counter ignore it also.

I've never had them ask for anything. Last summer I booked a car for my daughter from here with her credit card, got the better price, but she lives in the US and they didn't ask for anything. I guess they could ask but I never ran into it.

Car rental companies are notorious for not asking for stuff like that until you have an accident or damage. Then they tell you that you have to pay and will use that small print.  

I use my Lufthansa Miles and More credit card from DKB and waive all of the optional insurances. I'm covered for up to 30 days of a rental (and I've done back to back rentals when I needed longer than 30 days).

I rented a dodge van from avis for three weeks for a little more than 200 in jan 2015 at the Tampa Airport. Could not believe it. Gas at the time was under 2 d per gal so that turned out to be a hell of a deal. 

Reviving an old post here just to share my recent experience.   I booked a rental car in California using Billiger-mietwagen.de and found a good deal with AutoEurope as the Veranstalter and Budget as the rental agency.  However AutoEurope has this specific text in their Algemeine Bedingungen:

Angebot und Preise sind NICHT gültig für US-amerikanische und kanadische Staatsbürger, NICHT für Personen, die ihren Wohnsitz in den USA oder in Kanada haben sowie NICHT für Inhaber von US-amerikanischen und kanadischen Führerscheinen.

The way I understood it is that the offer is not valid if you hold a USA or Canadian passport.  Other Veranstalter had more generous conditions which limited the offer to persons who are German residents regardless of their passports, but the prices were considerably higher. 

I searched again using Check24.de and deselected AutoEurope as an Anbieter, but selected only Budget. Here I found an offer where the rental was booked directly with Budget and there was no passport exclusion. Fortunately this was only about 100 EUR more than the AutoEurope offer. 

Lesson learned that it pays to read the fine print when renting a car in the US from Germany.