Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

English-language movie theaters in Ruhrgebiet

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

Does anyone know of movie theaters in the Ruhrgebiet that show movies in the original English version? I live in Mülheim a.d. Ruhr. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

oregon1981

Many theatres will show the movies in the original language with German subtitles. I am not aware of any theatre that does only movies in English.

The Coolibri is good for finding who has what films because they have in their search function to look for films that are in the original language (OMU/OV), just check that it is a movie that was in English in the first place so you don't have to sit through a film that is in Turkish with German subtitles if your German is not that great. :D

Coolibri Kinoprogramm (OMU/OV)

One of the places that you will see very often in the results is Casablanca in Bochum. I really like it the place, it is cosier than a multiplex and it is right in the middle of the bar and club district so nice for going for a drink afterwards. It is often where I go for OMU movies.

Thank you very much, that was helpful. Looks like there isn't much offered in this area. Non-German speakers would do best to learn German so they can see German-language movies...

Yeah, pretty much, other than Casablanca in Bochum or going to Düsseldorf or Cologne, there is only occasionally the English language movie in theaters. Most Germans prefer everything to be dubbed. Even if it is a language I don't know, I would rather watch it in the original language, but it could just be I grew up with that at my grandfather's theater in the US so I am used to it.

There are movie theaters in Duisburg and Essen which, occasionally show films in English. So this is not the "English movies desert" ... ;-)

i am looking for a movie theater in the cologne area that will show Battleship in english, which is released on april 12th in germany, if there is none i will just watch the movie when i get back in the U.S.A.

By the way, if anybody is up for watching the movie, just send a message.

movie theater in the cologne area that will show Battleship in english

http://www.metropolis-koeln.de/

Wolf is right about Duisburg's movie theatre (Kinowelt - right by the Hbf) showing English movies. I forget which night but they run something every week. I have never been because the movies are not new releases.

One film at/after 8 pm every Monday night, at least that's how it used to be a couple of years ago.

I am German,but I like to see movies in the original language. I am new to Duisburg so I didn't know that the Kinowelt near the main station shows movies in the original language yet, but I will try that out. I live in Neudorf, so I can even walk there.

I had a look at Kinowelt's program schedule but couldn't find any hint about English-language movies. "filmforum" does show films in English with German subtitles every now and then.

I had a look at Kinowelt's program schedule but couldn't find any hint about English-language movies.

Yeah I don't think they advertise it on their website. I couldn't find anything online either but last time I went in to ask and they told me that English movies are played once a week night.

Thanks for the hint about Filmforum. I've been there once and didn't know about the English movies. Although I'm terrible at planning things, maybe we can all meet up for a movie night in Duisburg sometime?

Hot off the press ... ;-)

Rio Cinema in "Medien-Haus" Mülheim (Municipal Library) will show "J. Edgar" on Tuesday, April 16, at 2000 hrs (in English - German subtitles). Downtown Mülheim - Synagogenplatz. Have fun!