Can I claim unemployment benefits while ...

11 posts in this topic

Hi there

I am running a small company from my home but still not able to pay myself salary, do you guys now if I am eligible for unemployment benefits??

Thanks, Nord

I thought that to be eligible for unemployment benefit, you had to be available for work - it seems this is not the case...

Nord, I'm about to do the same but with receipts and all and stuff... don't know what my income will be but i assume next to nothing as all businesses starting out (even big ones) have to stand without income for at least a year, so if you do get around this and gain a benefit will you let me know by pm? :PPPP

I am running a small company from my home but still not able to pay myself salary, do you guys now if I am eligible for unemployment benefits??

Have you paid unemployment insurance premiums in the past 2 years? If you were eligible, you might be able to apply for the Gründungszuschuss. If you haven't made unemployment insurance contributions, you are not eligible for any type of unemployment benefits.

Let's look at the Arbeitsamt's homepage and see how to qualify for unemployment benefit:

Um Arbeitslosengeld beziehen zu können, müssen folgende Voraussetzungen gemeinsam erfüllt sein:

1. Sie müssen arbeitslos sein.

2. Sie müssen die Anwartschaftszeit erfüllt haben.

3. Sie müssen sich persönlich arbeitslos gemeldet haben.

To get unemployment benefit, you must fulfil the following criteria:

1 You must be unemployed.

2 You must have had enough contribution time.

3 You must have personally signed-on as unemployed.

Even small, non-profit businesses may preclude someone from unemployment benefit, unless this has been approved in advance by the unemployment office (used to be known as Ich-AG, now Gründungszuschuss).

It should also be noted that even non-profits are subject to applications for trading licences and professional permits where necessary.

For Berlin, this page should be helpful and would be the =0&tx_servicefindergib_pi1[filter2]=0&tx_servicefindergib_pi1[filter3]=19&tx_servicefindergib_pi1[entries]=50&tx_servicefindergib_pi1_submit=Go"]Berlin Business Starter Network.

But claiming and working, even non-profit, without declaring is benefit fraud.

EDIT: engelchen's post is quite correct, there may be no benefit eligibility at all.

So lets get this right you are running your own business.Want to claim UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFIT! What in the word unemployment do you not understand.Its for UNEMPLOYED .

They wouldn't give you a subsistence allowance, but you may be eligible for help with paying your rent, otherwise known as Wohngeld.

So lets get this right you are running your own business.Want to claim UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFIT! What in the word unemployment do you not understand.Its for UNEMPLOYED .

I prefer my taxes to support people with enough gumption to try and start their own business than some of the people on benefits who have absolutely no intention of seeking work of any kind.

Hi there,

I moved to Frankfurt area because of a job. Till December 2018, I pay two rent because of keeping two households with some support from from Jobcenter. My husband was receiving ALG II, however, there was no payment since Nov. 2018 to him apart from the rent subsidy. How does it work out if we want to apply for Wohngeld instead of my husband registering again as unemployed? I would be grateful for your comments. Thanks.

3 hours ago, paxbaby said:

My husband was receiving ALG II, however, there was no payment since Nov. 2018 to him apart from the rent subsidy. How does it work out if we want to apply for Wohngeld instead of my husband registering again as unemployed?

Whether or not you have any claim to welfare benefits in the future depends on your husband's citizenship and what happens with Brexit.