Deutsche Rentenversicherung letter

20 posts in this topic

Dear All,

My request might not sound very valid, but if someone could help me understand the main jist of the attached file, then it would be very kind! I tried to translate the attached text but couldn't grab the complete picture. I could have asked my German colleague to explain me the main summary but I am on vacation.

So if someone could just explain me in short what the main point of this letter is then I would be very thankful!

Note: We applied for the birth certificate of our 1st newborn (22.02) child and my wife is a houe wife.

Thanks.

post-75561-13331963058167.jpg

post-75561-13331963188962.jpg

It's about pension for either you or your wife.

If you or your wife stay at home and take care of your child, having no own income for the first 3 years, the state will pay /add 3 years of contributions (average amount ) to your /her pension claims.

You should fill out the form and send it back, but no need to hurry, maybe best with your colleague .

The letter was addressed to my wife, who is a housewife and never worked in Germany.

So that means the state will pay my wife once she reaches 65, the pension (3 years of average amount) for fostering the baby?

In order to obtain a (very small )pension at the age of 67 ! you need to have paid in at least 5 years, so you/your wife might think about further contributions either by work or by volontary payments.

You can get free advice at any branch of the DEUTSCHE RENTENVERSICHERUNG ( google) or maybe someone here can give more detailled information.

if i contribute in the state tax for atleast 5 years, would that make my wife eligible for the pension too? Or probably in other words when I would turn 67, we would get a family pension also including this 3 years extra contribution from the state?

I dont think so. I am a housewife we had to get me a private retirement.

Which they actually recommend everyone have to suppliement the federal.

No.(only if she would be a widow at one point)

There is no such thing like family pension, each person has its own pension,and the 3 years would be lost if your wife doesn't add up to the 5 years necessary.

This is a generation issue: women born after 1st January 1952 must have paid some form of compulsory contributions to the gesetzliche Rentenversicherung for at least 10 years since their 40th birthday to get a full pension, miserable though it will be.

Serenajean 1 is right - you´re on your own as a " housewife " pension-wise if you never get an outside paid job long term.

Sosarx: good tip - people should have a chat with their Deutsche Rentenversicherung and also ( if you´ve been here a while ) ask them for as assessment of your current pension " value "!

Just a tip from our experience: the pension people don´t like " gaps "...so, if you can´t remember and prove which shop you worked in or office or factory or whatever from January-August 1985, for example, they snip some of your future pension!

Thanks Sosarx.

@Serenajean1: Private retirement, does that mean your husband was contributing towards your private retirement, so that you also get the pension payment or have i got it wrong? Thanks anyway.

Since serenajean has made no or only little contributuons into the public system she problably has a private pension plan.

But, as the issue is quite complex and as you might leave Germany at one point (no further contributions) I would really recommend to make an appointment at the DEUTSCHE RENTENVERSICHERUNG (not necessarily right now) and have the various options and regulation explained. Best take a native speaker along.

My personal retirement is set up through our bank sparkasse, We pay so much a month, plus we get yearly bonuses like 300 added by the government as a incentive program.

But my husband cannot make contributions for me into the social system. I can only work for that,

This is an interesting post for me.

If my wife has worked part time for just €200 per month for the last 3 years, does that mean that she will get no equivalent future government pension for this period?

It depends on whether she was working on an employment contract with benefits, or if it was a minijob. The state pension system is contribution-based. If you don't contribute anything, you don't get any benefits (with a couple of noteworthy exceptions, such as time spent at university and time spent rearing young children).

Minijobbers don't pay into the system (no goverment pension BTW) , so they don't benefit.

However, there is a way which doesn't cost too much ( about 5 % of the pay ) and which will get her into the system and give her a claim for benefits in the future.

Since the employer already has to pay 15% on top of your wife's pay into the Rentenversicherung your wife can add another 4.9% of her pay and by this fulfilling the requirements for a regular contribution . The benefits she can gain by this aren't high, but on the other hand these months or years count anyway when it comes to the minimum contribution time

of 5 years needed to be entitled to a pension . Worth thinking over.

On 31/03/2012, 18:54:52, sosarx said:

Since serenajean has made no or only little contributuons into the public system she problably has a private pension plan.

But, as the issue is quite complex and as you might leave Germany at one point (no further contributions) I would really recommend to make an appointment at the DEUTSCHE RENTENVERSICHERUNG (not necessarily right now) and have the various options and regulation explained. Best take a native speaker along.

Anyone else having problems getting through to make an appointment. First time I called I managed to get through to a live person who put me in a queue to wait for another live person to make an appointment. Got someone and almost had an appointment booked when the line got cut off. Now every time I call it says, sorry everyone is busy, please try later. They are crazy hard to get a hold of. 

Edit: did get through and were transferred to the right department, you just need to keep trying different numbers till you find one that works

Can anyone recommend an English speaking consultant to explain the Deutsche Rentenversicherung. I'm asking for a friend who cannot get through by telephone and has received no reply by email either. Thanks