2000 Euros netto salary to survive in Frankfurt?

16 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Like everyone here, I also got few questions about moving and living in Frankfurt, but my situation is a bit different.

I currently work in a company but live in a small town. I move here a year ago but I am not able to adjust the lifestyle, as there is nothing much to do and I am not able to meet people as my office is far away and I come home very late in the evening. For a single person, It is difficult to live in a town full of senior citizens / families.

I requested my company to move me to their Frankfurt office and they have agreed to do so, but They wont increase my salary to match the expectations of Frankfurt living. I get a net of 2000 euros monthly which is pretty ok when living in a small town, but I am not sure if I can survive with this salary in Frankfurt.

I come from IT background, so I am sure that if I move, and if in case I have financial problems, I can try to find another job in Frankfurt. I also intend to learn German lang once I move, to improve my skills.

Also, I have my own furniture (except Kitchen), so I am searching for renting something between 400 - 600euros (including everything) in sachsenhausen or any good Expat living area, so that I can go out in evenings, hang out with friends, mainly be able to socialize without much travelling.

So to all the Dear experts here, Could you please help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Darksk.

Hi there,

I earn around the same and I do just fine. Groceries are cheap, general fun things are also cheap. Travel is expensive (70 Euros a month for a rail pass). I live with one other girl and pay 350 Euros a month.

One thing I would say is that you shouldn't be thinking that you should only live in certain areas. Or expat areas. Expats are everywhere. You can walk down the street and hear so many languages buzz past you. I live south of the main station ("oh no! such a dangerous area!!!") but it's really safe here and nice and cheap. So, don't restrict yourself.

I do just fine on that salary, as well as paying off student loans, and putting money aside in savings. I'm sure you'll be just fine too.

Hope that helps.

I agree that you can more than just get by with 2000 € net. The biggest difference cost-wise to the town you currently live in will be prices for rent and when going out. I think for 600 € warm you will only get a small studio in the particular popular areas like Sachsenhausen, Nordend, Bornheim, Westend. The average rent for Frankfurt is 11,50/sqm, and you are likely to pay more in said popular neighborhoods. But all in all, your income level shouldn`t be a hindrance to moving to Frankfurt. Whether the salary is appropriate for the type of job in Frankfurt is something I can`t tell.

I survive fine on a salary smaller than that. If you want to keep rent costs low consider living in a shared apartment (WG) especially if you want to be in a nice area.

One thing I would say is that you shouldn't be thinking that you should only live in certain areas. Or expat areas. Expats are everywhere. You can walk down the street and hear so many languages buzz past you.

The OP is Indian, therefore he is an immigrant, not an expat. :ph34r:

The OP is Indian, therefore he is an immigrant, not an expat.

I'm not sure how this matters? It's not like Frankfurt splits up its residents based on their race and nationality...

Thanks for your comments. That really gives me a very good idea about Living in Frankfurt. It also gives me an Idea about How "So called Expats" ( who have eventually become Immigrants in Germany) Distinguish Frankfurt according to Race and Nationality (!) :-)

@Mike and Krieg: If its according to Race and Nationality, Can you tell me where and which areas these people Live??? :-) And Also, are there places where Indian girls prefer to live :D ( Its not a "he")

@RainyDay: I do wish to extend my question (to get a brief idea) about the Salary range of IT background person with 6-9 Years of EU experience. I google a lot but wasn't getting a good picture about the Salary Range in Frankfurt.

Note:Personally, I have lived in few Other Capital towns in both Eastern and Western Europe. With my personal experience, It is always easy to communicate when living close to city center / Metro / U-bahn. The reason why I asked for Areas is because I have been also told Frankfurt is not so Safe place from rest of Germany; If virtually Toytown members distinguish a post for Indians / Immigrant post, I wonder what sort of People really live in Frankfurt? :-)

Thanks and Regards,

Darksk98

My monthly netto salary is about €1850 (Brutto is about €2900/month) and I live near Frankfurt (in Bad Homburg). Yes, you will be able to survive quite well with that salary. Really depends on how you define 'survive' though.

Hi Darksk,

Sent you a PM, but don't be discouraged by some of the comments here. Not everyone in Frankfurt nor here in TT is like that. To stay in Frankfurt City with your net salary, I suggest sharing an apartment.

Frankfurt is a great city to live in, with lots of events, festivals, and a lively cultural scene. I think you can live fine on 2000 a month. I know I brought my 2 kids up on less salary than that, and we live in Bornheim. If you search for 1 bedroom apts. you will find something suitable to match your salary. You ought to be able to find a nice place for 600-650 a month. There is no need to live with someone.

After reading DonT's post, I feel compelled to chip in with my 2 cents worth. I wholeheartedly second Moondancer's post, that Frankfurt is a great city to live in, lots going on culturally, and lovely green spaces in and around the city. I hope to be able to move back in the mid-term, am landed in Stuttgart for job reasons for the moment. And 2000 Euros net is more than enough to live very comfortably in Frankfurt, there is certainly no need to share a flat - unless that is what you want, that is.

Sent you a PM, but don't be discouraged by some of the comments here. Not everyone in Frankfurt nor here in TT is like that.

Not sure why DonT thinks Frankfurt or TT might be discouraging, although there is a German saying I like very much: Wie man in den Wald hineinruft, so schallt es zurück (How you shout into the woods, that is the echo that comes back).

You ought to be able to find a nice place for 600-650 a month.

Or live in Offenbach with a tripped out artist and pay €290 month and spend the rest of your cash on vodka. Living with people can be REALLY nice if you dont know anyone in town. I suppose it depends if you are the social type.

If you want to live in a popular i.e. central and not dodgy area, for 600 EUR a month all in, you probably won't be able to find a place bigger than 40m².

I also heard from several friends that there is more demand than supply for 1-2 room apartments in popular areas so you might have to go through an agent (and pay their exorbitant fees). Availability rather than cost seems to be the biggest issue when looking for a place to live in FFM.

Edit: Also your salary is easily enough to survive on. In fact you could probably afford to pay up to 800 EUR in rent and still have a decent lifestyle.

I am from Milan, I moved to Frankfurt even though I get less money (less than 2000) than what I was getting in Italy

I live in Nordend, 35mq studio apartment and I pay around 500euros for that. BEAUTIFUL neighbourhood, 5 minutes from Zeil.

I pay for the monatskarte (85 euro) every month.

I go to restaurants A LOT more than what I was used to do in Italy and I do a lot of nightlife too.

That said, don´t ask me how, but it looks like I´m able to save more money than what I was saving when working in my hometown

With 2k you´ll be doing just fine