ICS update SGS II

24 posts in this topic

Hi people any of you have been successful with ICS update for the phone. Any news of the update in germany through Kies as i dont want to lose my warranty

Regards

BSD

Updated mine the unofficial way using the ROMs and instructions here without any problems. I did get a bit of a scare when it tried to update some Russian app that I knew nothing about a few days later but it turned out to be a bug with the Google app Store - phew!

I wouldn't worry too much about losing your warranty, I've used this method a couple of times as has a colleague of mine with no problems whatsoever.

Tim.

I don't think that's necessarily true, unless the ROM was the cause of the problem of course (I seem to remember YorkshireLad6 posted something ages ago refuting the warranty voiding thing, but I might be wrong). I can't say I didn't think twice before doing it the first time, but the ROMs I installed are stock ROMs using Google's own software so I took the plunge.

Tim.

yes they can but i was looking for something through Kies, have just bought the handset few weeks back & hence don't want to brick it.

Regards,

BSD

Note, this update is only for i9100, and not the newer i9100g version of the Galaxy SII

Most (if not all) of the official updates that are on XDA come directly from Samsung. You do not need to install Kies

or wait for the updates to Kies to install them. Download 2 programs.. 1) ODIN 2) Checkfus. Checkfus downloads

the firmware from Samsung and decrypts it. Odin, flashes it.. Kies is a piece of shit, so why use it.

Having used ICS for a bit I would wait before upgrading, it seems less reliable than the last release of Gingerbread. I've had numerous hang-ups, reboots and other glitches since upgrading.

Tim.

I have had a few big problems with the first ICS release as well. Things like Battery life, connection problems, crashes, etc.

I'll be trying the 2nd release out tomorrow. Hopefully these bugs have been squashed.

Please see the above posts as to how to get the latest firmware..

YES.. It's released.. But depending on your phone/model/carrier/update method, you may never see it.

Follow the instructions above and on the XDA forums, and you'll be set.

Current ICS Rom for SGS2 is XWLP7 and is avail. via Checkfus (Under region "GERMANY", with no carrier name/branding)

Once again for those that can't read. These are OFFICIAL SAMSUNG ROMS.. You won't be voiding any warranty if you flash them..

According to http://phandroid.com/2012/04/17/unlocked-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-in-the-uk-receives-android-4-0/

ICS is now available for UK users without SIM lock. As such I suspect that it is imminent in Germany, so if you are not sure then just wait a few weeks.

Also try dropping Samsung a mail and see when it is available for you.

Or wait until next month and buy the new SIII (launch date rumoured to be the 3rd May).

i have just got a message in Kies for a firmware upgrade, seems like ICS hitting unlocked phones in Germany as well. Will post experience as soon it is updates