Advice for a hammer drill

24 posts in this topic

So I'm planning to grow up and purchase my own hammer drill instead of borrowing like I have been doing for a while now. I see a wide range of power ratings (500W - 1000W and up). I would only need this drill for occasional household tasks like hanging curtain track, mirrors, pictures, lighting, etc. Our walls are of course concrete. In anyone's opinion, how much is enough and how much is too much?

I did some research and I'm only looking at Schlagbohrmaschinen, not Hammerbohrmaschinen, which I know would be overkill.

Thanks!

are you shure your walls are concrete.. not bricks? for concrete arround 700 -800 watt will be sufficent... and do not go with too cheap

products.. because those will give you a lot of headache after some use (like drills come loose... ect Bosch or Metabo are good quality)

Check out Kustermann. They sell a range of good quality drills and if you're lucky may have a special offer going too. There was some really excellent deals going a couple of months ago. They also sell drill bits and accessories too. I agree with jgstefan on the wattage. I have a Bosch, green type, 600W hammer drill for over twenty years and it has coped with everything I've thrown at it, concrete, brick, the works.

If you only need to drill into actual concrete occasionally (and really, how often does anyone need to rehang mirrors and curtain rods?) a regular drill with proper carbide-tipped masonry bits is sufficient as long as you're willing a couple of extra minutes making the holes. From the sound of it you don't plan on drilling out over 10mm Ø × 80mm deep, so even if you have the money to burn, it's overkill. However, if the money's burning a hole in your pocket and you want to be the nice guy lending out your drill from time to time, the price break for household vs. professional use tends to be around the 750W.

Occasional home use brands: Black & Decker, Bosch, Parkside

Serious professional quality brands: Hilti, Milwaukee, Makita

woof.

Not a real handyman myself, but I bought a Bosch 500w drill that I´m very happy with. Works really well with the walls here, and even the ceiling. I think I paid around 100€. Some of my friends, who actually do a lot of work around the house themselves, would recomend Makita however.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I have a few projects left in the current abode, and I don't plan to live here forever, nor do I plan to go back to the States, either. So a 650-ish W hammer-type device will cut the mustard.

Cheerios

The bit is more important than the drill, by a long shot. Almost any reasonable quality drill will suffice as long as you buy quality bits.

I second that. Better to invest in one or two high quality bits that you need, rather than a full set that you won't fully use. Good quality bits bore faster, make less noise and are far more accurate.

Not a real handyman myself, but I bought a Bosch 500w drill that I´m very happy with. Works really well with the walls here, and even the ceiling. I think I paid around 100€. Some of my friends, who actually do a lot of work around the house themselves, would recomend Makita however.

Makita is the only make i buy,you just cannot go wrong with them!(unless you drill a hole in the wrong place )

As a craftsman I would recommend first a very good 8mm drill bit (eg "Heller") and good 8x50mm wallplugs (Fischer, Torx)and 4,5x50mm Torx-screws. We fix 90% of anything like this, exept heavy cupboards or bookshelves (use 6x70+ mm screws then, still fit into 8mm plugs) As 75% of german walls are brickwork, I recommend drilling without hammering, at least for the first 2cm. Using a quality drill bit, even a good "Akkuschrauber" (cordless Screwdriver) will do the job (wich is btw far more usefull around the house) and the borehole will be "tighter"/better.

Tip: Try to get a good used Festo cordless, you´ll never want to be without it once you own one. :)

PS:sorry for my maybe strange english -> not a native speaker B)

One tip on the bits, make sure you buy good quality as previous posters have mentioned. If you are drilling into "baton" based concrete then it's a bugger. One small bit of advice, continually wet the drill bit with water and drill for short periods of time rather than going at it at full speed. The water keeps the drill bit temperature down as you push full force into something that feels like the German's built to withstand a nuclear explosion. Good luck and >500W is fine for power.

what is the diffrence between AkkuBohrscrauber and Akku-Schlagbohrschrauber?
I need one it for the house stuff especially for the walls and for the wood ans sometimes for the stones.

could anyone suggest me which brands are best for longrun otherthan Bosch?

For ocassional use just anyone should be OK. Invest the money in decent bits, they are more important and they should be the correct for the material you are drilling into.

Akku means means battery run, you want something to connect to the mains. And Bohrschrauber is an electric screwdriver. not really a drill. You want a Bohrmaschine or a Schlagbohrmaschine.

17 minutes ago, Kristan said:

what is the diffrence between AkkuBohrscrauber and Akku-Schlagbohrschrauber?

German word "Schlag" as in English "Beat" or "Hit"...

The word "Schlag" implies that it has a hammer-drill functionality, without the word "Schlag", it doesn't, then it is just a drill...

Also do make sure you use the right drill bits for what you are gong to drill in to.

I agree that Makita is the best.  No doubts.  For weekend drill warriors, a Bosch is fine.  Like Spidey, I've had mine for 20-25 years.  Aye, with a cable, but it does a grand job.  A number of years ago, I bought a nice wee case with full kit.  All the bits, screw and nut attachments I could ever need.