German gun permit process

33 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the process of getting a firearms permit in Germany? I know I won't be able to concealed carry but I'm hoping to be able own a rifle or shotgun at home for hunting and sporting purposes. I've heard its extremely difficult so any help would be excellent.

(hope this is the right place for this thread)

to get a gun permit (Waffen Besitzkarte) you have to meet certain criterias

1 a clean police record ( Polizeiliches Führungszeugnis)

2. pass a test in firearms hanling and safety and the with ownership relatet laws

3. a valid réason for owning a gun ( member of shooting club (membership at least one year before purchasing first gun )or having a valid hunting licenc)

self defence is no valid reason according the law.. sorry for that...

you are allowed to own pistols shotguns rifles semi auto rifles

it is not that difficult but you have to follow the rules (some pretty stupid..)

feel free to ask furhter questiones...

You should probably also gather information on getting a hunting permit (Jagdschein) in germany. Hunting seems to be heavily regulated in germany.

And I can't imagine why you would need to carry concealed in Germany.

http://berlin.angloi...any/hunting.asp

By the way, shooting is a popular sport, but not hunting. Of course there are people who like to hunt, but the average German sees hunting more as a necessary evil to keep the game population at an ecologically healthy level. Killing animals for fun is not that popular in Germany.

I know I won't be able to concealed carry

Is that true? I was under the impression that if you have the licence you can concealed carry your gun, if you want to.

the popolarity of hunting depends on the area.. in bavaria it is more popular...because germany is densly populatet and for historical reasons

it is not considert a kind of "everybody´s sports" and there is quite a bit of money involved for the related permits ect .. but also this depends on the area too.

The gun owners permit (waffenbesitzkarte) allows the purchase, ownership, and transport in a locked container/bag to the shooting range ect..

the permit to carry a gun (waffenschein) is quite seldom ... very few have ; because for that purpos the law say´s "you have to be endangered more than the everidge citzen"

this is handeld very stikt because there is a political decission/reason/will for not wanting too many people to carry guns...

well there is not much gun crime either..only a hand full people get shot every year in whole germany.

and yes you need a gun vault too.

came just back from the shooting range...I am going to clean my rifle now , as long as it´s still warm.. happieness is a warm gun...*gg :P

Is that true? I was under the impression that if you have the licence you can concealed carry your gun, if you want to.

On your own private, fenced-off property (eigenes befriedetes Besitztum): yes.

Otherwise: no, as long as you do not have a Waffenschein (entirely different permit).

Gosh, I wonder if this subject has been discussed at length before.

Related topic: Availability of guns in Germany

I asked a friend who is an expert on Germany's gun laws. He says the process is as follows:

1. Join a Gun Club.

2. Spend 1 full year training and have at least one session per week logged into your training record.

3. After one year, you can apply for permission to purchase a gun.

4. If approved by the gov't you can buy a gun, but only the exact gun they approved.

5. You have to pay a licensing fee and tax on that gun every year.

6. If you want an additional gun you have to apply for permission to buy that gun too.

7. You are only allowed to own one type of each gun (one revolver, one semi, one rifle, one shotgun, etc).

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the process of getting a firearms permit in Germany? I know I won't be able to concealed carry but I'm hoping to be able own a rifle or shotgun at home for hunting and sporting purposes. I've heard its extremely difficult so any help would be excellent.

The process of acquiring a firearms permit is very bureaucratic and very complicated - but then again, we are in Germany.

There are three main criteria:

* personal suitability and responsibility (established through a certificate of good conduct, i.e. "waffenrechtliche Zuverlässigkeit", which goes beyond what is asked for in a "polizeiliches Führungszeugnis" and in addition, if you are under 25 years of age, an attestation from a medical officer)

* expert knowledge (acquired, tested and certifed in an official course)

* proof of reasonable need for a firearm (hunting, sport shooting, collector or, in rare cases, inheriting a weapon)

The reasonable need has to be proven at regular intervals - if you are a hunter or sport shooter - by a reasonable amount of activity with your firearm.

Once you fulfil these three criteria, you are allowed to apply for one (or more) of three "Waffenbesitzkarte" (firearms possession permit): green (for hunters), yellow (for sport shooters) or red (for collectors). Which Waffenbesitzkarte you have will regulate which and how many firearms you are allowed to own.

NB: If you want to hunt, you will need to take additional courses and get certification.

As has been mentioned, you have to provide a certified vault/gun safe at home where your weapon is locked away. The Waffenbesitzkarte (green/yellow) gives you permission to transport your gun(s) from your home to the shooting range/hunt and back.

Concealed carry is not permitted in Germany, unless you have a special permit to carry a gun ("Waffenschein"). Unless you are with the police or military, this is almost impossible to come by. In legalese, a Waffenschein is granted when <a> "you are more endangered than the average citizen" and <b> a weapon is suited to actually reducing this danger. As you can imagine, these two criteria are almost never fulfilled.

My GerMan has various historical firearms and shoots them regularly, as a hobby (we're talking things like Snider 1866, Martini Henry 1876, Mauser 1886, Mauser K 98k etc.), so I have a bit of knowledge in terms of requirements he is under.

He does have a suggestion in terms of possibly bypassing the official criteria - I will post again if he is able to clarify this.

On your own private, fenced-off property (eigenes befriedetes Besitztum): yes.

Otherwise: no, as long as you do not have a Waffenschein (entirely different permit).

Ok, that means a shop-owner can have a gun concealed in his premises and only needs a Waffenbesitzkarte. Fine.

Private fenced-off property is one which is safe from entry by third parties - hardly a shop.

Also, what purpose could a shop-owner possibly have for keeping a gun in his shop, which would be covered by the regulations specified for Waffenbesitz, as detailed above (for hunting or sports, and kept in a vault)?

Even without knowing the relevant laws, everything in this thread points to your conclusion at post #12 being totally incorrect, matajari.

Great, now I wasted half an hour of my time to look it up and will have to stay at work later.... I am such an idiot, I don't even want a gun:

Steindorf, Waffenrecht, 8. Aufl, C.H. Beck 2007, § 1 Rn. 47 : "Eine Waffe führt im Sinne des Gesetzes nur derjenige, der die tatsächliche Gewalt hierber außerhalb der eigenen Wohnung, der eigenen Geschäftsräume, oder des eigenen befriedetn Besitztums ausübt."

Rn. 49:

"Ein Geschäftsraum ist ein abgeschlosener Raum, der hauptsächlich udn für eine gewisse dauer für die Geschäftstätigkiet bestimmt ist."

Example from the courts: Gaststätte!

Not a Geschäftsraum: Taxi!

(hope this is the right place for this thread)

If you are wishing to hunt with your gun as well, a gun licence for sport or historical firearms is not enough. The hunting course can be done as a crash course for a couple of weeks everyday for several hours each day or more commonly for on a Saturday for a year. There is a lot more to learn for hunting here so it is not hobby that you can just easily take up without a lot of preparation. These courses aren't usually cheap either. It is easier to take up sport shooting but even that takes time and money commitments. If you are considering doing a crash course for hunting, I would recommend doing in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, the test ought to be easier there and if you don't pass one part, you only have to repeat that part rather than the whole test.

I asked a friend who is an expert on Germany's gun laws. He says the process is as follows:

1. Join a Gun Club.

2. Spend 1 full year training and have at least one session per week logged into your training record.

3. After one year, you can apply for permission to purchase a gun.

4. If approved by the gov't you can buy a gun, but only the exact gun they approved.

5. You have to pay a licensing fee and tax on that gun every year.

6. If you want an additional gun you have to apply for permission to buy that gun too.

7. You are only allowed to own one type of each gun (one revolver, one semi, one rifle, one shotgun, etc).

This is not strictly true, although at one time it was in discussion that membership in a gun club is necessary. However, this requirement was removed in 2003, because it contravenes German constitutional law ("Grundgesetz") - you cannot be forced to attain membership of a club against your will. § 8 of the "Waffengesetz" (firearms law) allows sport shooting for those who are not members of a club. However, you do have to obtain a "Waffenbesitzkarte" with all that entails (although there are certain exceptions for muzzleloaders that were produced before 01.01.1871, or are copies thereof), to be able to purchase your own firearm and shoot as a guest in a gun club.

After one year of training, regular shooting and certification you can apply for a permit to purchase a gun. However, please note that your year of training and regular shooting must be with the specific type of firearm you wish to later purchase, i.e. longarm or handgun.

For those now wondering how you can train and shoot if you are not allowed to purchase/own a gun, there is a provision allowing anyone to apply to their local gun club to attend practice shooting sessions, under the supervision of the gun club and using a firearm loaned by the gun club.

Hunting is extremely popular around here. I hear the gunshots every evening during the season. Nearby there is even a restaurant which offers meat from local hunters. I wrote a review several years ago. Here's the link to the restaurant's current site. We bought our house from the family of the old local Forstmeister and I even have his shooting plaque still hanging on my wall. He was best shot in 1963.

Easiest way to get a gun license is still through a shooting club.

Naw, this kind of "best shot"

post-18719-13326788815.jpg

And yes, there are still antlers hanging on my house outside.

You hit him on the nose? Bad Bipa;-)

At 100m I'll let you choose left or right ear;-)