How do you know for sure that you are bored?

73 posts in this topic

When does a person know that they are really bored? Do you watch the tv for hours on end? Do you keep watching the Sopranos over and over again in the hope that you might discover something new that might have been overlooked before? Do you keep your room so clean so that whenever someone visits they know that you slaved all day. How do you define boredom...

I'm never so bored that I'm forced to clean my room. Anger or being upset will do that (or guests with an ETA of 5 minutes), but never boredom.

:lol: @ showem - no wonder we get on so well :D

sadly, anger and being upset don't do it for me, though

it's just a positive side-effect of having people over

if you're really bored start doing a degree with the OU or something

that will take up lots of your time and stop you from getting bored, plus you'll get a qualification at the end of it

When you look at the clock and think "oh good, only another two hours to go". And then a subjective hour later you look at it again and think "oh shit, it has only been 15 minutes since I last checked the time."

It only happens to me every day.

Boredom:

The inability to live with one's own self!

- Unknown author.

I am bored out of my fucking brain right now. Trawling the internet for random crap to read, while doing some work... which if I could be arsed to do would take me 10 minutes.

Would also agree on the anger/depression/guest thing, being the only things which can actually get me to clean my apartment. I am quiet happy to live in my own shit apparently.

Procrastinate IW, you will always have something to do. ;)

I'm bored when I've got nothing to do at my job AND when I'm doing something at my job. Explain that one.

I am bored out of my fucking brain right now. Trawling the internet for random crap to read, while doing some work... which if I could be arsed to do would take me 10 minutes.

ditto :D

How do you define boredom...

Being tired, unable to concentrate, unable to find anything interesting.

I just read about an interesting new word. Boreout. "a condition coined by Philippe Rothlin and Peter Werder, two Swiss business consultants who recently wrote a book on work-related boredom. In a society where a person's job often defines an important part of his or her identity, they say that someone who isn't challenged at work can soon feel worthless and frustrated." In comparion to burnout.

Being tired, unable to concentrate, unable to find anything interesting.

I call this spending time with my husband :lol: .