Confusion at a job interview

69 posts in this topic

"Ungefähr zwei jahre hatte ich die besorgung des tiere mitgeholfen, nachdem war ich am nachts zuständig, die tiere und aufgabe zu verwalten. So für ein und ein halb jahre hatte ich die tierheim und die tiere vergewaltigt, danach hatte ich hier umgezogen."

vergewaltigt = raped.

You told him that you raped animals for a year and a half.

Bipa is right, Ben! Naughty boy! Mind you, I reckon your use of " hatte ich hier umgezogen " was a close second. You use " sein " with " umziehen " when talking about the past. Given your past experiments with animals, I´m not surprised you forgot! :D ( Only joking..)

Erm, do you still want the job? Go back and demand your rights!

Err, no... not necessarily gang rape unless done by more than one person.

jmdn. vergewaltigen = to rape (someone)

-----

Poor boy. But that would make a good post for the thread:

Embarrassing mistakes made when speaking German

What's your biggest faux pas with the language?

You're correct. I read it wrong in Leo. I corrected my post above.

This could happen to anyone. I think it was unprofessional that he called a colleague and made him repeat it. He could have just politely let it go and not embarrass him any more.

You'll laugh about this in the future...if you aren't already.

As Bipa said above, Chin Up! and good luck on your next interview.

I think the correct way to say it would be: "...die Tiere verwaltet, danach bin ich hier umgezogen."

Ohhhhhhh nooooo! I thought I had the worst mishaps with mixing up my very limited vocabulary, but you really have me beat with this one :)

Are you sure there is no chance of a job with these guys? I mean, did it go well otherwise? Surely they understand you made a mistake and that you're not really an animal rapist. I've noticed that my German coworkers LOVE to make fun of me when I make mistakes. They get a good laugh out of it but I don't think it's anything to take negatively. They enjoy it even more (as do I) when I laugh with them.

Once said "Ich bin geil" thinking I was saying "I am nice". It did not help I said it to a female. She cracked up and called other people and made me repeat it. And she was not even German, she was Polish.

Hei Ben,

Thats funny though, I hope it will not affect your job prospects. I guess you gave them good laughs at the interview, which is a good start I would say :)

Good luck, hope this interview will be fruitful for you.

I guess half the battle at interviews is making sure they remember you -> I guess you won that one

(and there but for the grace of god go all us ex-pats!)

I said "du" to a teacher once, at the very beginning of my German-speaking career. Stony silence in the class, the teacher acted as if nothing had happened.

Ben, I would have struggled to keep a straight face but would also have kindly corrected your faux pas. Then shared with my co-workers in private later on.

At least you did your best Ben. Good for you. I'm sure that they appreciated your best efforts to speak German. I'm always saying things wrong and now happy to amuse people rather than feel embarassed. I hope you get the job...if you want it of course

Good luck

Do you guys think that such a behaviour from the recruiters is acceptable, especially on a job interview?

I mean, coming from long-time colleagues, why not - it's even good! -, but here, their reaction only got Ben mortified and puzzled.

Just like aries6 and Small Town Boy said, I think it is very unprofessional from their part, but I am surprised to see that many replies state "I hope you still get the job".

Am I then wrong to think that such a behaviour (on a first interview) is just plainly gross and gives a bad image of the company? I'm still young in the professional world, so I might be very naive.

Its quite funny - on the basis of that you might even get the job. OTOH - if the person interviewing didn't see the funny side of it, you are probably better off not working there anyway.