Health care for foreigners

18 posts in this topic

Hello, I merely need a pointer as to which public office/service must I go to inquir about my possible rights to free medical care as an EU immigrant. I would google but I don't know how such service is called in German.

Jello, anberla! Medical care is not free in Germany. There is the so-called public system known as " geseztliche Krankenversicherung " but it´s not a public system as in many other European countries where everyone is automatically a member of it ( more or less ). You have to apply. And the application is bureaucratic. You will need to show you have been in the Cypriot system. The other problem: if you´re not working here and earning money, you will find it difficult to get entry.

What is your situation?

John, I don't think she is looking for health insurance, I think she is looking for a free clinic of some kind. I have already tried to explain to her twice in the past 6 weeks that EU citizens have not only rights, but also responsibilities when taking advantage of their rigth of Freedom of Movement. She seems to want to only take advantage of EU Freedom of Movement. <_< I hope you have more success explaining the situation to her than I have.

I am not a job seeker, have no work either, and no private health insurance either

Then what are you doing in Germany? Health insurance is mandatory for all residents (including EU citizens) in Germany (use the search function). IIRC you can be a tourist for a maximum of 90 days (not long enough to really learn much German).

I was asked by the local volkshochschule to bring a 'free movement pass' as an Eu citizen living in Germany pernanently. I went to the citizens buro here in Steglitz to ask this paper, and right there I was told that I must have health insurance to get it. And without it I thought I might never register for VHS, but now reading your messages I will try and visit them next week and see what happens;/

I booked a wg zimmer in Steglitz for 6 months but I didnt know Im still a tourist up to 90 days! Thats good cause I need a doctor and I was thinking Im not entitled to one cause I don't work.

To answer the question above, I am here to learn German foremost, and THEN search for job.I Also go to fahrschule for bus driving in Germany cause I know how to drive but only the left hand side (UK and Cyprus/Australia etc) only. Ideally I would like to work in Europe (in Germany maybe) as bus driver after years of being a typist;/

By agreeing to a 6 month lease (even if it is only a verbal contract), you are now technically considered a resident of Germany and cannot claim to be a tourist. You are supposed to register (anmelden) at a Bürgeramt in Berlin and have German approved health insurance (just like what Germans expect from their own citizens).

Since you are now resident in Germany, you are not supposed to use your EHIC card here anymore.

Having said all the that, you can try to beat the system, by not registering, claiming you are a tourist, and hoping that you're not caught. Personally I don't think it is worth the time and effort when doing what is expected of you as an EU citizen is not difficult.

I don't have medical insurance, cannot use tourists ones either as im now registered resident, so I guess I merely pay cash for any medical service I receive and that includes the public hospitals too, right?

All German residents (that includes you), require German health insurance. If you can prove you were publicly insured for the past 12 months (or 24 months in the past 5 years) in the EU you can sign up for public health insurance.

Please do not cause unessesary stress to me, I need to see a dcotor soon, thats my priority at the moment, I dont care if I pay,

You are legally obligated to have health insurance in Germany and you'll have to get it sooner or later, so you might as well as get it now.

Since we don't know what you have and what tests you need, it is impossible to tell how much it'll cost.

Okay, so Anberla needs to see a doctor "soon", and doesn´t "care if she pays".

So, where is the problem?

Go and see a doctor and ask for a private bill to be sent directly to you.

I hope you feel better soon!

Okay, so Anberla needs to see a doctor "soon", and doesn´t "care if she pays".

So, where is the problem?

She didn't care whether or not she has to pay.

I merely need a pointer as to which public office/service must I go to inquir about my possible rights to free medical care as an EU immigrant.

Now she wants free health care (funded by German taxpayers).

I guess it´s a woman's privilege to change her mind, but it´s a pain in the neck!

On the other hand, if she needs to see a doctor urgently, then she should just go, and sod the cost!

anberla,

Your choices are:-

You pay.

Your insurance pays.

If you decide to pay then do as Robinson says and just go as a private patient and pay the bill.

If you decide to have insurance pay then you need to get insurance.

I believe from the other posts that you have made that you are now resident here and so are required to have your own health insurance.

Choosing German health insurance is a topic which is covered extensively on Toytown so search is your best bet if you go that route.

However if you are a tourist then you can use an EHIC card from Cyprus to get treatment which may be what you are thinking of as your 'Right to free treatment'.

Details here (Link to ministry of health republic of cyprus).

oops forgot to look this thread I started, well thanks all, I will also visit http://www.aok.de/bundesweit/ when I speak enough German...:_)

Now she wants free health care (funded by German taxpayers).

I didn't say I want to gain free medical care illegaly, did I, so what is your problem if I do get free one because I work or because I am entitled to it for whatever (legal) reason?

As far as I know, there is no (legal) reason anybody would qualify for free medical care in Germany unless they are destitute and on social benefits in which case the state pays for it. Since you are new in Germany, you are not eligible for social benefits. If you are a student, self employed, worker, retired or whatever, you are expected to take care of your health insurance which you have to pay for.

oops forgot to look this thread I started, well thanks all, I will also visit http://www.aok.de/bundesweit/ when I speak enough German...:_)

@ Anberla - being registered in Germany, you are legally required to have health insurance - if you do not have it initially, you may be required to make back-payments until the day you registered here as and when you do take out insurance.

Whilst the AOK offers a good service, it is expensive!

Being ERmany, where all things are regulated, the health provision of publis health insurance companies is also regulated - you can get insurance a lot cheaper than with the AOK, but the same service with other companies.

If it is the language barrier that it preventing you from taking out insurance, I am quite sure taht we can find somebody on here who would be willing to take the half hour it would need to get you sorted - maybe in turn for a small payment or coffee and cake or something.

so what is your problem if I do get free one because I work or because I am entitled to it for whatever (legal) reason?

I have a problem with anyone trying to freeload. As many people have already repeatedly tried to tell you, it is not possible for a single resident new to Germany to legally receive free health insurance. Furthermore, as an EU citizen you have not only rights, but also obligations and health insurance is mandatory in Germany.

Leon has already explained it very well here:

As far as I know, there is no (legal) reason anybody would qualify for free medical care in Germany unless they are destitute and on social benefits in which case the state pays for it. Since you are new in Germany, you are not eligible for social benefits. If you are a student, self employed, worker, retired or whatever, you are expected to take care of your health insurance which you have to pay for.

I didn't say I want to gain free medical care illegaly, did I, so what is your problem if I do get free one because I work or because I am entitled to it for whatever (legal) reason?

As LeonG and others have said, the health care in Germany is NOT free, unless you are in really desperate circumstances and destitute - but then you would be in the German bureacratic system anyway and presumably receiving some sort of social benefits.

Also, it would behoove you to get into the mandatory system now rather than later, as once you are in you are covered for doctor's visits etc (assuming you pay the normal fees). AOK, Techniker or whoever you end up choosing should be able to help you in English as well, that is not a valid reason to put it off. You can of course wait, and pay any medical fees yourself in the meantime. However, once you do enter the mandatory system, you will have to make back payments to the time of your registration as resident in Germany - and I'm not sure if you are reimbursed for any personal payments of medical fees you may have made in this time.

Both "john_g" and "Starshollow" - regular and esteemed users of this forum - are independent insurance brokers and able to help you with advice in terms of your situation as an expat, and the best options for you. I'm not sure, however, how many bridges you may have already burnt through your proven inability to read and take advice, and your at times rather irritating attitude, in terms of how willing anyone might be to advise you.

I am talking to one of the members who are insurance brokers here and will also visit NOK etc (*my embassy too). John_g has helped me a lot with explaining my options but I cannot decide as i don't now if Iwant to stay here for more than 6 months. I don't see myself as someone who wants to stay here for ever, looks like Germany wants immigrants to decide for good where they want to stay, back home or here:) No frequent change of mind is allowwed ;8

the latest news for me is that I cannot opt out of the ''gesetzliche krankenversicherung'' -> http://www.g-k-v.de/gkv/

thats 150 euro/month and I cannot decide about this either as I m notsure im staying here in four months or not hmm..

You don't have to sign up for the rest of your life. You can join now, and leave 3 months later if, or when you decide to leave the country, so you can live in the comfort of knowing that if you have a serious accident or become ill while you are here you will be well looked after - maybe even for the rest of your life.

the latest news for me is that I cannot opt out of the ''gesetzliche krankenversicherung'' -> http://www.g-k-v.de/gkv/

thats 150 euro/month and I cannot decide about this either as I m notsure im staying here in four months or not hmm..

Just before I turn in for the night...anberla: the problem is NOT whether you can opt OUT of gesetzliche Krankenversicherung but whether you can opt IN. The public Kassen are increasingly saying they can´t take a non-employed foreigner and if self-employed, to take you, they want a Gewerbemeldung ( proof of self-employed profession with earnings, however low).

The German private insurers don´t accept a non- or low earning outsider...and you need a medical check up.

And the few internationally accepted insurances want a one year contract.

So, where are you left?