UK NI contributions / pension statement

31 posts in this topic

Had a search but only found the other way round ( moving back to the UK and german contributions )

Basically, I´m collecting info/ statements on contributions I´ve made in the various countries in Europe For the Bund to figure out what Rente I´ll receive here in Germany eventually. They´ve asked me for a timeline of my work etc, I´ve managed to collect the E301 ( I think it´s that number anyway, must look at it again ) from a few countries. Now I need one from the UK.

Would I be right in contacting Newcastle with my old UK NI number and asking for a statement? ( Already mailed them - though I can´t remember the last letter - A or E - hopefully they can work it out)

Anyone done this before? ( Collated NI contributions for German Rente ) If not, l´ll post results here at some point for future reference.

MR.G, I just called 0191 2037010 and was told to go to www.hmrc.gov.uk and download form ca3916 http://search.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/hmrc/results.page?qt=ca3916 but I can't see how this relates to pensions. The person I spoke to was not very friendly... :-(

Hi Nicole

Great minds think alike :P - just got off the phone myself and have the form - It´s to get a complete statement of your UK NI contributions during your working life. The German Rente office needs it as it counts towards calculating your German Rente - From other countries in the EEA, its the E301 form filled in by the local authority. Also found out that periods in higher education ( I spent 3 years at college & 3 at Uni as a mature student ) also count towards an eventual Rente, so I´ll need to contact the relevant college & Uni for a statement of time spent there studying.

The lad I got from Newcastle was exceedingly helpfull and friendy ( Geordie ) - I suppose it´s the luck of the draw

cheers

G

*Edit* for those of you who, like me, cannot remember the last letter of your NI number, its either A,B,C or D ;)

Mr.G Second attempt - Called DWP 0191 2187777 who told me that I need form E205, which 0191 2037010 can provide me with. So called that number again and was told that only the German authorities can apply for E205, all I can apply for myself is form ca3916. Will pursue this again once I am resident in Germany. Would be great to hear your results for future reference. :-)

I called the Office in the UK (an 0191 Number) and they told me they would not provide any information on what I had paid into my UK pension and it could not be transferd to Germany.

Did not see your reply in time Mr.G. Am a little confused now but also glad that you are doing this too, it helps that we can exchange info. Hope that E301 does the trick. Did you download it or will they send it to you? Please keep me posted :-) and yes luck of the draw.

I'm doing exactly the same, just rang up the phone number, spoke to someone and have been assured it will be sent to me within the next few weeks. No problems, no downloading of anything, nothing. Very easy.

That is all you should be doing..

Mr.G Second attempt - Called DWP 0191 2187777 who told me that I need form E205, which 0191 2037010 can provide me with. So called that number again and was told that only the German authorities can apply for E205, all I can apply for myself is form ca3916. Will pursue this again once I am resident in Germany. Would be great to hear your results for future reference. :-)

Hi Nicole

The form ca3916 is the one you need for the NI contributions statement ( if you are a UK national anyway )

The E301 is a form from Other EU/EEA countries you may have worked in.

*EDIT* I downloaded the ca3916 Nicole

I called the Office in the UK (an 0191 Number) and they told me they would not provide any information on what I had paid into my UK pension and it could not be transferd to Germany.

The german rente say otherwise - they calculate based on all of your working life / contributiions / higher education periods within the EU/EEA. My last visit to the office in Berlin was to sort out from which countries I should get an E301 from and to establish that my UK NI contributions count towards a German Rente. I confirmed that with me sister in Law who works in one the Rente offices in Northen Germany.

You have to do the legwork though, the Bund won´t do it for you.

The UK office to call is 0044 191 203 70101

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/UsefulContactsByCategory/Over50sContacts/DG_178684

Yes an EU agreement exists so what cb6dba has been told is incorrect. MrG I just called the pension forecast people and was told that years at uni do not count just college, hope you are right though but who told you that?

The years at Uni don´t count towards NI contributionsin the UK but the German Authorities do count them. Source is the German Rente office - I´ll look for the relevant german page.

G

Yes an EU agreement exists so what cb6dba has been told is incorrect ...

What cb6dba reports is correct. The Deutsche Rentenversicherung people need to know how many qualifying years you have built up, not your contributions into the UK system.

Here you go Nicole,

http://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de/SharedDocs/en/Navigation/servicebereich2/faq/versicherung_node.html

The periods you spent in school and university education are not communicated to us electronically. These periods therefore do not appear on your insurance history. To enable us to credit you with these periods, please send us original or certified copies of the documentary proof of your periods in education and include your insurance number. For your school education we require documentation from the time as of your 17th birthday. If you have completed a course of third level education, please send us documents showing the relevant start date, duration and successful completion or your removal from the students’ register

Cheers

G

Great. Thanks Mr.G. that is really good to know. I did my degrees in UK, so will need relevant info for German authorities. Thanks again.

What cb6dba reports is correct. The Deutsche Rentenversicherung people need to know how many qualifying years you have built up, not your contributions into the UK system.

To do that, the DR need the information Newcastle supplies through you applying with form ca3916 - once you receive your history of contributions ( and thus how many qualifying years you have as an employee and/or as self employed paying class 1 contributions, you pass it onto the DR )

At least, thats what I´ve been informed by both the DR and Newcastle - once I get the details back from Newcastle and pass them on to the DR, I´ll post an update here

G

Hi AncientBrit What I meant was that there is an agreement that qualifying years in UK can be transferred to Germany. I thought he was told that it cannot be transferred (maybe I misunderstood). What we need to get info on is how to get a record of qualifying years. On reflection I think that the second number I called might be right in that we need form E205. This form might be the one that outlines qualifying years rather than insurance contributions. It just depends who you speak to on the phone...we'll get there in the end...

Great. Thanks Mr.G. that is really good to know. I did my degrees in UK, so will need relevant info for German authorities. Thanks again.

Nicole,

Here´s a good summary

Validation of entitlement, computation of pension and submitting application

http://www.deutsche-rentenversicherung.de/SharedDocs/en/Inhalt/05_international/anspruchspruefung_rentenberechnung_antrag.html?nn=71750

Also ( from hmrc.gov.uk )

Full statement of National Insurance (known as an E205 until 30 April 2010).

If the foreign authority asks you for one of these forms, please complete form CA 3916 (PDF 69K) and return it to the address shown on the front. It would be useful if you could send copies of your last payslip and any P60 certificates you hold with the CA3916 when making your application. This is because it may be necessary to get in touch with the employers you used to work for in the UK before a certificate can be sent.

Please note your claim will be decided using the other country's rules: it will not be decided under UK rules. You should also note that forms U1 and E301 do not give you any automatic right to receive unemployment benefit in another EU country.

G

Thanks for link MrG, really helful. That quote contradicts what two different people told me at DWP and NI office...I will wait for you to do this and report back :-)

I am in the same situation as you guys, trying to sort out the forms that the Deutsche Rentenversicherung want (sounds like this ca3916 is what I need) and also thinking about whether I should be paying class 2 (or 3) National insurance contributions in the UK.

I have a further question, regarding German and British pensions

- it would seem to me unlikely that I can work in Germany for a certain year and have that count towards a German state pension and meanwhile pay NI in the UK and count the same year towards a UK pension. Does anyone know anything about how that works?

H

Update:

It`s as I stated above :

HM Revenue & Customs NIC&EO will send you a statement of United Kingdom National Insurance contributions if you send the CA 3916 form to them in Newcastle.

It lists class 1 paid (£) per year as well as Class 2 paid and the credits for each year.

The Bund accepted it and will adjust my rente accordingly - no need to get translations, they do their own translation work.

Hope this helps anyone going the same route.

** EDIT** Taking forever though and they needed a reminder.