Disc golf - Saturdays or Sundays - location varies

250 posts in this topic

Since there's been quite a lot of interest in disc golf over the last few weeks, it's time to

give this it's own thread, sister-thread to Ultimate Frisbee.

If you don't know what disc-golf is:

Take a look at this FAQ.

If you've not played with us before...

- The general motto is: everyone is welcome, regardless of ability

- Probably we can lend you discs, post to the thread to make sure

- We usually carry on to get a beer/food together after playing

Disc Golf on 5.11

After two great daytrips to Disc-Golf-Mecca (Weilheim) I suggest we try playing in Munich

this week. Mr. Disc-Golf himself (aka the person who lent us a bag of discs last week) has

suggested playing on the Müllberg near U-Fröttmaning this coming Saturday with a couple

of portable golf holes. Apparently he is in the process of convincing the Munich authorities

to install a permanent disc golf course around this hill and it's wind turbines, which towers

70m above the surrounding countryside.

I'd suggest we meet around 10 am at the U-Bahnhof Fröttmaning (U6), which is about 15

minutes ride from Marienplatz. Who's down?

muellberg.jpg

I expect I'll be there... but I'll probably ride directly there as it's only a few kilometers from Garching.

Ben, what about getting some other of the Max Planck's out, since it's not far from there?

Yeup... but to be honest the majority live in town. I'll put an email out though.

I will probably come, are there discs available? Haven't had to to research into which discs I want to buy quite yet. Is the famous "frisbee guy" himself going to be there, meaning we could buy discs from him then if desired? Muhahaha.

Fröttmaning is one stop past where my monthly card ends, just in ring 4. We'll see if I'm a gambler ;-)

@ one51 - the man will bring a bag of discs with him. If you want to buy discs, PM which sort and I can let him know and he can bring a couple of new discs for you to choose from. I think he charges about €9,50 a disc.

this Saturday I'm busy, CRAP. I've played Weilheim twice since I moved here...I think it's a crap course, personally. You want a Mecca? go to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area...we've got (last I counted) over 16 courses, then if you go just outside, there're courses all over the state. Where I went to college (winona) we had 2 courses in town, an 18-basket and a 9...so I played at least a couple times a week. Both were decent courses...

ANYWAYS, (sorry), I've got about 8-9 discs sitting here asking to be played...I'd love to, but I just can't this saturday cause of work. Unfortunately saturday mornings I usually work...

I've played Weilheim twice since I moved here...I think it's a crap course, personally.

Obviously I was talking relatively, to an extent. Germany may not be a world leader in disc golf courses,

but still I think Weilheim is fantastic. Surely you were a little bit inspired by the countryside? Magnificent

views? Beer garden at the 19th hole?

Weilheim rocks. As stated the views are great, the course is tough and varying, and the beer garden at the beginning/end is key.

The hills are a pain in the ass and can botch a whole round in one hole but that's part of the game.

Anyone have directions for driving to this course? I have somewhere to be at 4, and probably it's best to go straight there. I can't carry my bass guitar around the whole time unfortunately B)

Tomorrow's Game (U-Fröttmaning, 10am)

Right now the forecast for tomorrow is looking bad. If it's raining, then I guess that no-one

will want to be out throwing discs. As long as it's not raining though, at least 2-3 people will

be there. Feel free to give me a call tomorrow on 0177 6343959 if you want to be sure.

If it is raining, I'd be up for a raincheck to Sunday, however we would most likely have to play

without baskets. I guess we could aim for trees? Or wastepaper baskets? :)

@ one51

It would be best for you to drive to the U-Bahnhof Fröttmaning and meet us there at 10 am.

I'll pass your PM about the discs on to the man.

hopefully it'll be good weather for you! sounds like fun! perhaps if you play again i'll join you and subject to you to some awful throwing :) sadly, i cannot tomorrow.

re:Weilheim. it's gorgeous and the biergarten is nice (minus lacking quality service) yes, it's not a super amazing course, but you have to look at it subjectively- it's a course!!! from what i can tell they are few and far b/t here in Germany so although some areas in the US have oodles and heaps of them here is not the case. so instead of being mean about it why not enjoy it and be glad there actually is a course and enjoy it? i dont know... just a thought! :)

so enjoy your game tomorrow and hopefully i can join you (hahah if you'll allow) again sometime soon!

also, feel free to join me to watch the Packer/Steeler Football game sunday pm at The Arc! :)

I'd be thrilled if there were a course that I'd rate over a 3 on a scale of 1-10. Unfortunately, Weilheim doesn't qualify :mellow: (sorry, I'm seriously not trying to be negative, that's just how it is...I've played many a crappy course over and over just cause it's close...but...)

Though since I have no one to play with here anyways, I haven't gotten around to figuring out an alternative. On all the various german disc golf websites (as well as the pdga one), they claim there's a temporary course for tournaments that can be set up if you give the "pro" a call. Maybe we could make a Toytown event out of it if the guy's actually that cool?

Just thought I'd add: http://www.pdga.com/ and http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=1375 since they weren't listed above...

and for anyone visiting MN for some dumb reason: http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=499 is my personal favorite, though I'd say I've played this course the most: http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=454 and of course an old friend of mine from highschool built this course: http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=1828

There just aren't the city parks like back home here to make a course in...hmm...(thinking...)

I thought Weilheim was great except for the hill. Of course it doesn't match the object course at UVA where you start in the bar district, throw across the lawn to Jefferson, into the coliseum, across a roadway via pedestrian bridge... yeah that is a great course. Especially when you play properly by visiting some bars first.

Too bad we don't have a big city park here to make a course. !?! :blink: like one of the biggest city parks in the world.

I thought there was some rumor about a permanent course in the Englischer Garten. Tho it would be hard not to kill sunbathers with a well-thrown driver, hehe.

p.s. it looks like the rain is going to be steady, from the wetter.com radar. No big, long breaks coming in the Munich area, in fact it will probably pick up to a good drizzle by 10am :-/ So I will probably not go out to play today!