BER - Berlin Brandenburg Airport

139 posts in this topic

Not a bad history of the delays, but hardly a deep dive into the root causes.

As I understand it, the reason why the fire suppression system and other key components have been totally FUBARed is that our fabulous mayor of the time, Klaus "Berlin ist arm aber sexy" Wowereit, decided that this multi-billion-euro project could do quite well without a general contractor, to save a few tens of millions. That laid the groundwork for the complete clusterfuck that followed, as the planning bodies made change after change to a variety of elements while construction was ongoing - but the lack of general contractor meant nobody was keeping track of the changes or making sure that all the subcontractors who were installing the systems all had the same, current plans.

On 25.4.2019, 08:52:55, murphaph said:

I'm guessing this thread isn't panning out the way @Lear envisaged it.

Yep. The ongoing desaster developments are a shame.

Nevertheless:

Passengers 2018

2018 Top3 airport locations in Germany:

Frankfurt FRA...69,5 Mil.
Munich MUC...46,3 Mil.
Berlin BER...34,7 Mil.

Total Berlin Passengers in January 2019 (BER = TXL+SXF)

BER: 2.419.000 (+20,6 %)
TXL: 1.600.000 (+42,4 %)
SXF: 0.819.000 (-07,3 %)

Market share of airlines operating in Berlin 2018

31 % EasyJet
25 % LH -Group (1.Eurowings, 2. Lufthansa, 3. Swiss/Others)
13 % Ryanair

@Lear

The January 2019 figures are totally misleading, after the collapse of Air Berlin at the end of October 2017 Tegel became a ghost town and it took several months before Lufthansa and Easy filled AB's slots, no wonder there's a 42.4% increase.

Now the latest on BER doesn't look good and it's still questionable if it will open as planned in Oct 2020.

RBB Abendschau, Ist die BER Eröffnung 2020 noch zu halten?

Today, officials stated that BER will open on 31st of October 2020. Hmm, somehow I'm not convinced 🤔.

I wonder, will it come as an Airport or, perhaps, as a Vampire, Dragon or Clown?

So far it's the most punctual and reliable airport in the world: no flight has ever been delayed, no luggage was lost. Why so negative?

To the contrary: one could argue that all flights have been delayed for over seven years and counting.

The only thing reliable about it is its status as a work in progress.

TüV Rheinland approved BER, even the fire security. Wow. It can actually open as planned on 31st of October probably without passengers 🤔.

The fact that this thread is 8 years old is just sad :D

I don't even wanna know how much money was put into this project 

:lol:

Historic events in the capital of Germany:

The Berlin Brandenburg Airport Willy Brandt is going to open at 31.10.2020 !

26. October 2020: Start of the S-Bahn-Link to the BER Terminal 1

31. Oktober 2020: Opening of BER Terminal 1 / First official landing of an aircraft 

01. November 2020: First official aircraft take off at BER Terminal 1

Hallelujah !

They already need a subsidy of €300 million in order not to go bankrupt. TBC. 

The two architects were on television. Both in their late 70s and retired long time ago. Their plan for BER originated in 1997 :). At least they see the end result.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/easyjet-to-make-418-crew-in-germany-redundant/140793.article

Sad day. that Easyjet will be pulling out of all domestic flights in Germany. I can see Lufthansa now going take a monopoly on all domestic routes of Berlin, meaning jacking up fares all the time.. At least when AirBerlin and Easyjet were around kept air fare prices in a good range. I paid an outrageous fare with Lufthansa during last lockdown as was only option. They took advantage of the situation as was half empty. Now with around 10billion Euro government bail out money (probably subsidized by tax payers) we are going to purchase outrageous price tickets while paying even more tax back to government. I hope more competition comes otherwise we will go back 30 years in time while German population continue to nonchantly accept the status quo, your only option is state airline. 

The article you link to does not say that Easyjet will be pulling out of all domestic flights in Germany.

It reports that they are withdrawing 16 of its 34 aircraft in Berlin

Having originally proposed 738 job losses among its 1,500 strong workforce in Germany, the airline has reduced the number after discussions with pilot and cabin-crew representatives. The remaining 320 jobs will be kept until at least June 2021 using the government furlough scheme, at which point the airline will review whether those are again at risk of redundancy.

So yes, major downsizing but not pulling out of Germany, at least not yet.

that's correct however these will be  covering domestic routes   - other 16 will be international.. Link below to clarify:

https://in.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-easyjet-germany/easyjet-to-cut-jobs-in-berlin-scrap-german-domestic-flights-idUSKBN24257M

Lets hope  the Bunderskartellamt can do something.  I detest organizations profiteering out of monoplised situations. now I have to pay my ZDF another quartery fee for a service that I never use.

After the insolvency of Air Berlin, Lufthansa held a monopoly position for a few months on some German domestic routes. After receiving numerous complaints about Lufthansa's price increases, the Bundeskartellamt began preliminary investigations.

Andreas Mundt, President of the Bundeskartellamt: "After the insolvency of Air Berlin, Lufthansa's tickets were on average 25-30 per cent more expensive than in the previous year. In individual cases the price increases were much higher. Although this increase in price is considerable, it does not justify the initiation of an abuse proceeding. The application of strict merger control enabled easyJet's quick entry to the market. Subsequently prices on the respective routes immediately fell again. This price development would definitely have been less positive if Lufthansa had remained a monopolist on these routes in the long term."

https://www.bundeskartellamt.de/SharedDocs/Meldung/EN/Pressemitteilungen/2018/29_05_2018_Lufthansa.html