BER - Berlin Brandenburg Airport

139 posts in this topic

If the airport were android all this shit wouldn't be happening.

All they would have to do is patch the baggage carrousel to 5.3.04, upgrade the tower to 7.8.002 but not before updating check-in to Fenster 7.0 and adding RAM and a higher wattage in the power unit at the cab drop off at terminal 1.

Easy peasy until next weeks update.

;-)

Interestingly, the ring bahn yesterday announced that "passengers travelling to Berlin Brandenburg Airport, please change here" instead of Shonefeld. Should we read anything into that, I wonder?

From the article...

Air Berlin said it was seeking damages to cover losses stemming from unused properties at the new airport, as well as from additional expenses at the airline's current base at Tegel Airport in Berlin.

I think the guy leading the investigative committee said on camera one time that he didn't expect opening before 2017.

I hope to God that Schönefeld doesn't remain open for the budget carriers when (if!) BER eventually opens. It's a bloody dump that's well past its sell by date.

The current plan is to keep it for EZY, hence recent "upgrade" of security screening.

Meanwhile even North Korea is managing to get its airport near completion for 2015

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2791675/inside-north-korea-s-soviet-era-planes-s-like-fly-world-s-one-star-airline.html

(The picture is a third of the way down the article. It looks an awful lot like BBI)

I pray BER never opens and we can all continue using Tegel which is a grgeat airport and deserves to remain open.

Scheonefeld is indeed horrible. Even more horrible is the train station with its scuzzy and dank underpass and no information in English

I noticed that SXF is now using BER branded retractable barriers in the gate waiting areas, is Schoenefeld going to have a name/code change?

Just read about an, ahem, interesting idea which involves converting the ICC into a remote terminal for BER, connected by a 11km tunnel to the new airport.

Article in German: The idea that the ICC should become a terminal for BER with tunnel connection

Personally I think they should just concentrate on getting the effing airport open, but this article does raise the troubling question about how the Berlin road system will cope with having only one huge airport.

I'm rather fond of dear old Schönefeld! Memories of Buzz and Virgin!

And it's an easy drive for me. Loathe Tegel; parking is frightening (usually in the dark and rain) and I always seem to end up driving to Hamburg on the way out. 

BER is a similar design to MUC. It is designed to allow a satellite terminal to be added without much disruption at a later stage. The priority should be to open BER as is of course but TXL must close within 6 months (according to BER's planning permission!) of BER opening, so unfortunately SXF will have to remain open in the interim as BER simply doesn't have the capacity without the satellite terminal, but the satellite terminal should be priority 1 after BER actually opens as a disjointed airport with BER and the old SXF acting as a (presumably) budget terminal will not be a pleasant place to transit through (it'd be like the situation at Budapest when T1 and T2 were both open), with a bus ride required to move between terminals.

To be fair, the growth in passenger numbers at Berlin airports has been phenomenal. I am not all that surprised that they got it wrong, I probably would have as well. There are now around 50k net migrants into Berlin each year. When BER was being planned that was not the case and the economic outlook wasn't all that positive. If they'd suggested an airport for 30 million passengers back then they would have been lampooned.

I was supposed to land at this airport when I moved to Berlin in 2012.

Now it looks like I will get my Niederlassungserlaubnis before it will open.