BER - Berlin Brandenburg Airport

139 posts in this topic

I was under the impression the plan was to close both SXF and TXL on the same night (2nd June) and open BER on the morning of the third? I even read about the Stadtautobahn being closed on the night between to allow convoy moving of equipment from TXL to BER. Maybe I read wrong.

That was the original plan, you read right.

I didn't know TXL was due to remain open in parallel.

That would be news to me as well - I have the updated portion of the Berlin ICAO chart which shows the Berlin airspace as it was to be on the 3rd June (presumably delayed - so far no official word from the DFS).

Anyhow, a quick look at that chart does not show airspace suitable for continued operations at TXL (the control zone is gone for a start).

One could of course issue a NOTAM....

Deutsche Flugsicherung: "A new airspace structure will enter into effect with the start of operations of the two parallel runways at the new Berlin Brandenburg International Airport and the simultaneous closure of Tegel Airport on 3 June 2012". And as we know that won't happen, meaning they can't close the TXL airspace either...

And besides, aren't NOTAMs only meant for informing aircrews of transitory hazards / exceptions enroute?

Well, just got an email from Lufthansa saying that my return flight form Norway in July will go to Tegel, same times blah blah blah.

Still waiting for SAS to tell me that I'm not leaving in June from BER though - time will tell if they manage to get a slot at Tegel.

I understand. I didn't know TXL was due to remain open in parallel.

TXL will only be entwidmet (is this correctly translated as closed?) six month after the opening of BER, so there is the possibility to use TXL, as long as needed equipment is there. After Entwidmung the area is legally no longer an airport and cannot be used for air traffic anymore. Anyone remember the plane that made an emergancy landing in Tempelhof after closure, and had to be moved off by road?

So while TXL was supposed to close with the opening of BER they made sure to keep it operational for another six months

I think you're partially right, clan. While it wasn't scheduled to be decommissioned until six months after BER opened, there were no operations planned. All the airlines were/are going to move from TXL to BER.

Yes, that's what I meant to write, but AFAIK the government was going to use Tegel for the six months because the new government terminal in BER is even further from being finished than the rest.

Does anyone know what the situation is with the Airport Express from Schoenefeld? I have a few friends coming over soon and on bahn.de it looks like it's not running anymore.

Is this a mistake on the part of the website or has it indeed stopped?

Still running...

Aufgrund der verschobenen Eröffnung des Flughafens BER fahren die Züge weiterhin über den Bahnhof Berlin-Schönefeld Flughafen. Sobald die neuen Fahrzeiten ab dem 3. Juni 2012 feststehen, finden Sie die aktualisierten Fahrpläne unter www.bahn.de/aktuell.

I'm sure things will be straightened out in a few days, Mr.G. They just announced the delay a couple of hours ago.

Just called my airline regarding my flight out later in June - turns out that they indeed will fly from Tegel - only thing is, they neglected to inform me of this ... ho hum.

Maybe a sweepstake is in order, everyone stick in a euro and pick a date you think it will officially open, I'm going with Friday, January 13, 2017.

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20130107-47175.html

Un-f**king-believable.

Long story short, the mayor was able to create a buzz for him as "the peoples person" but the bitter truth is hes a complete tool. incompetent. you can only fake it so far and that just caught up with him. watch closely, this is far from over.

The Economist ran a story this week too.

The eternal building site

So much for industrious Germans doing things on time

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21569065-so-much-industrious-germans-doing-things-time-eternal-building-site

The myth of German efficiency takes another beating.

Pretty much. Germans still love to boast about it, though.

Hey, Just curious. What's the latest on the opening of Brandenburg Airport and the closure of Tegel? We hear nothing over here in Blighty, is anything lightly to happen in 2014?

Nothing ain't happening fast :(

You're not hearing anything about it cos there isn't anything concrete to hear.