BER - Berlin Brandenburg Airport

139 posts in this topic

Generally the new BER will be one of the best connected airports on the globe via rail, autobahn, and even bikepaths!

Unfortunately, the only failing connections are air. You would never guess Berlin was the capital of the largest economy in Europe.

Not to dampen any spirits, but I just read on the Bild breaking news(don't judge) that the airport opening will be delayed. Press conference at 1pm.

Brilliant ( not ) now the fun part is to see how long it takes my airline to inform me of this ( flying out end of June ) if at all :angry:

Just checked my flight online, current price is now 6 times what I booked for a couple of weeks ago :blink:. Whoops.

Still says BER though, call center knows nothing about it either.. typical.

I'm sure things will be straightened out in a few days, Mr.G. They just announced the delay a couple of hours ago.

Most likely El Jeffo, just found it amusing that the call center knew nowt about it. Not that I'm complaining, leaving from Tegel saves me hassle. Interesting that the Economy tickets are gone now - there were a bunch left yesterday.

"This time the problems were with the fire escape system, such as warnings and door closure systems, Woidke said." (article here)

This time? And how much did they pay architects and construction firms for this job? It's not like this is the first airport or building being built. Crazy.

What a bunch of gimps. This didn't sneak up on them out of nowhere. I just hope the airlines have better contingency planning than Berliner Flughäfen.

Unfortunately, the only failing connections are air.

As of today, no future air connections are cancelled.

Quite the opposite, all new flights scheduled to begin at BER are thought to be transferred to SXF and TXL.

As of today, no future air connections are cancelled.

Quite the opposite, all new flights scheduled to begin at BER are thought to be transferred to SXF and TXL.

I don't think this will be possible without cancelling at least some other flights. None of the airlines are commiting themselves to delivering all the planned BER flights via TXL/SXF. They are all saying they'll do their best, but no promises.

Has anyone heard some of the protests from the Muggelsee residents?

I actually feel more stupid for reading them.

My favourite was when someone brought up 9/11. Apparently having flight paths which fly over Muggelsee is putting the residents in danger of a major terrorist attack. Yup, they actually suggested such a thing.

It seems that when al qaeda heard of the new Berlin airport they cheered in glee. At last they could finally strike at their most desired target; Muggelsee!

Flying planes into the lake would send shock waves throughout the western world, especially if they sank a few boats in the process.

One statistic I also find interesting is that the new airport will cause everyone in it's flight path to die. Yup, they actually state in their 'protest manifesto' that people will die from hearing air traffic.

Also, this change in airports will cause suffering and misery to over 1 million people. Now, the population of Berlin and it's metropolitan area is 4 million. So are they suggesting that one quarter of all Berliners live in the flightpath? I find this hard to believe.

Basically it comes down to this;

These people live in a fairly wealthy area. They seem perfectly ok with people in poorer areas hearing air traffic noise, but god forbid any wealthy people should have to do so.

Living in Wedding puts me in the middle of a flight path and I have to say that I barely notice the planes.

Yeah, anyone who went to the open day today/yesterday could tell you the same. It's just not ready. The approaches to the airport, the inside of the terminal buildings. It's all still very much reminiscent of well, a building site.

The fire inspector could not possibly have been able to certify this building as "safe" because it's not finished. There's all sorts of flammable stuff lying about the place for a start. I'm glad at least this guy was doing his job properly and said "NO" because I honestly wouldn't feel entirely comfortable flying in there as it currently stands.

It will be a fine airport, in a few months.

The fire inspector could not possibly have been able to certify this building as "safe" because it's not finished. There's all sorts of flammable stuff lying about the place for a start. I'm glad at least this guy was doing his job properly and said "NO" because I honestly wouldn't feel entirely comfortable flying in there as it currently stands.

This was not about the fire inspector and flammable stuff lying around, which would be no major problem to clean up, or could be dealt with by extra manpower. The main problem seems to be, that the fire control systems are not even in a state to successfully perform basic tests, let alone integration tests.

This was not about the fire inspector and flammable stuff lying around, which would be no major problem to clean up, or could be dealt with by extra manpower. The main problem seems to be, that the fire control systems are not even in a state to successfully perform basic tests, let alone integration tests.

I don't know if you were at the open days or work on site or whatever but the flammable stuff includes woooden handrails for staircases that don't yet have their steel ones fitted. That sort of stuff can't be simply "cleaned up" - it has to be replaced with the final materials. I understand the reasons being given for the delay, but I believe that it's more than that-the building just isn't finished, not simply the control systems, the actual building, and this is just the visible areas.

Given that the building is clearly not finished, I don't see how the the fire certification could proceed, even if the electronics and software were playing ball. There's flooring missing in the main terminal in the arrivals area too.

I am have nothing to do with BER, except flying from there sometime in the future, and I did not mean to imply that the fire safety is the only problem there, but it is by far the biggest stopper for opening. TXL will be operational for six months after opening BER, so even if larger parts of the terminal are not finished there is an alternative.

Provisional wooden railings may be a fire hazard, but they can be dealt with for a limited time if the other systems are working, or even by placing someone on watch there (just imagine, with losses of 15m per month you could have 3000 people standing watch).

What I see as a major point is: in my experience integrating even much smaller systems than airports frequently takes more than just a couple of days. If not even the individual systems (smoke alarms, smoke controls, sprinkler systems, and whatever else is there) are working correctly, I don't see how anyone could have thought of integrating them, running conformance tests and providing the proper documentation in just a few weeks.

I understand. I didn't know TXL was due to remain open in parallel. I was under the impression the plan was to close both SXF and TXL on the same night (2nd June) and open BER on the morning of the third? I even read about the Stadtautobahn being closed on the night between to allow convoy moving of equipment from TXL to BER. Maybe I read wrong.

I am supposed to be flying from Berlin to London in June and was a little concerned about what was actually happening. Luckily it seems that all carriers will continue to operate out of SXF until BER get their ass in gear.