BER - Berlin Brandenburg Airport

139 posts in this topic

Had a couple of years living under the flight-path to and from Tempelhof before it closed - can't say it really bothered me. In fact, when the refurbished Dakota used to do its flights over Berlin, I loved the throaty sound of those Pratt & Whitney engines!

Time-wise, it's about the same to get to TXL or SXF for me, but in terms of ease and comfort at the airport itself, TXL is far and away the better of the two.

And yes, what bastards, putting SXF into Zone B and then moving it back to C!

As for the new BER, let's see. I'll be using it, but not until July.

What worries me, however, are public transport links to SXF now and BER in future. The S45 from Südkreuz to SXF is one of the favourite services for S-Bahn GmbH to cancel. When they cancel the Spindlersfeld service from Sükreuz as well and run it as a shuttle from Schöneweide, there's only a 20-minute interval service on S46 Südkreuz - Schöneweide - all change into a full-and-standing S9, often with a lengthy wait at S/Weide into the bargain.

It also seems daft that DB plans to run the new BER Airport Express service via Südkreuz and the Aussenring instead of the Stadtbahn and Karlshorst. The linking spur at Genshagener Heide is only single-track, for Heaven's sake, and already has to take all the traffic of the Dresdener Bahn and Cottbus via Calau trains as well. In both directions. This plan will kill off direct fast services to BER from Zoo, Friedrichstrasse, Alexanderplatz and Ostbahnhof and will necessitate a change from Upper to Lower platforms at Hbf or at Ostkreuz if using S-Bahn services. A real mess in the making? Looks like it to me.

@Keefy:

What about the RE7, it'll run from the new airport station to Zoologischer Garten until they finish building around Grunewald.

I'm not sure if there'll be changes to the RB14 schedule (also goes to Stadtbahn), but I've never seen either of those trains arrive on time, so always plan an extra 30min to make it to the airport on time.

But generally connection-wise it's a mess: the new station is so fantastically designed that U7 can't be built to go there as well. So instead people still get to enjoy the thrill of shlepping luggage to bus stop, lift it onto overcrowded bus, get off bus and carry it down a staircase (unless you manage to find the escalator _and_ it's working, too) to the U7 at Rudow. Utterly idiotic.

Not as bad as I thought - yes, there'll still be Regional Trains via the Stadtbahn and Karlshorst - I had in my mind older plans which would certainly have meant that this service was going to be abandoned - there was even talk of turning the express service via Südkreuz into a premium-fare jobbie.

Latest news here from today's Morgenpost:

http://www.morgenpost.de/berlin-aktuell/article1757951/Bahn-faehrt-auf-Umwegen-zum-Flughafen-BER.html

I'm certainly not going to miss the awful buses to and from Tegel, and the way they're always delayed by stupid tourists expecting the driver to act as an information kiosk, and the traffic jams at the ridiculously badly designed junction with the Autobahn and Saatwinkler Damm. No, I'm looking forward to BER.

But generally connection-wise it's a mess

Generally the new BER will be one of the best connected airports on the globe via rail, autobahn, and even bikepaths!

BER Rail Connections

I'll miss the 171 bus though...brings us door to door (to Terminal door) at the moment but will not go to the new Terminal, instead stopping at the old Schönefeld Station and returning from there.

Well, seeing as my flights home always leave from Schönefeld anyway, I'm looking forward to it opening.

The only thing that annoys me, it that a few years ago, they used to have a regional express from Oranienburg to Schönefeld, which they stopped after they re-opened Hauptbahnhof, but all in all, I think the journey to Schönefeld is quicker that the one to Tegel if I take the S1 and Airport express

Passed it during the week on the way to and from from Dresden. Actually, assuming no Staus and autobahn crap, it´s not too bad for me after all to get there - autobahn all the way - still crap for early morning ( pre 10am ) flights though

@Lear: your really in love with this airport eh? ;)

To bad I wont be using it. :( Train is about 2x faster then going by plane from Hamburg to Berlin (no flights anyway)). Maybe I'll do a flight from Munich just to see whats it's like soon. :lol:

oh god, I just realized I am arriving back from Central Asia on June 3... While I am looking forward to BER opening (TXL-hater), I am quite sure that landing on the day a new airport opens is a REALLY bad idea! <_< Remember LHR T5?

:huh:

Not to dampen any spirits, but I just read on the Bild breaking news(don't judge) that the airport opening will be delayed. Press conference at 1pm.

This is going to be chaos... I'm due to fly out on Easyjet on the 4th ... hopefully all the Easyjet flights will in the main just swop back over to Schönefeld... but if the flight times get changed around by much then it's as I said it's going to be chaos with the bookings.

Hmmm that said, surely there must have been some reasonable contingency planning just in case there was a chance that there could be a late delay to the opening