Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Expat characters in Germany

29 posts in this topic

Sadly, I don't know such colourful characters. But I do remember an Irish guy who was teaching English here in D'dorf in the early 90s. He was, however, getting to be extremely unreliable because of the drink and although I got him some work by recommending him, the school said that they had to stop giving him work.

What has stuck in my mind about him is something he said to me in an Irish pub in the Altstadt. He said to me, "I don't live in Dusseldorf. I live in here." And with that he pointed to his head.

So, whenever I get all het up about a certain place, I just remind myself that I live in my head and 'go for a walk' in it instead. I escape in my mind from where my body happens to be.

Did he have a full beard and an accent that even the English couldn,t understand?if so i think i knew him but for the life of me can't remember his name.

Have just spoke to my mate he also said sean and we think he smoked a pipe aswell small world sometimes,i remember thinking,this guy is teaching English!and imagined little German school children speaking English with a paddy accent :lol:

Another character... Australian woman with Italian heritage on the father's side. A CV at the beginning of the 1990s that already covered four pages... reporting, singing, teaching, travelling. Taught English here, a whirlwind of a character.. most people.. male or female.. fell in love with her and were in awe of her and just wanted to be with her... skinny as hell, interested in so much, long hair dyed with henna, energy, energy. Went off to Nepal for a while. Charity work. Is now in Seattle, married, heavily into Buddhism and does very strange things with her voice. Still looks fantastic. I can't give you funny anecdotes about her.. but she was someone whom I feel priviliged to have known.

John.. tall, lanky guy, stooped a bit like Frank Muir, black-rimmed glasses, floppy hair, eager sort of look.

Lived in Germany most of his adult life. Working here even though he had studied Arabic at either Oxford or Cambridge. Worked here. Saved and saved and lived a modest life. When he retired, he haunted the German and English libraries. You'd see him in the German libraries trawling through old copies of The Times, making notes, getting the staff to go to the archives to dig the old copies out. He was a couple of years behind the current times.

Helped out at the Bücherbummel to advertise the English library. Always good for a chat.

One day, the staff at the English library noticed that he'd not been in all week. They got the police to force the door to his flat open. He'd been dead a few days. No suspicious circumstances, so there was no post mortem.

The English library organised a memorial service. Very well attended. His two brothers and their wives came over and there were about 40 of us there.

John is still present in the library. His picture is there with his name and dates, and his brothers donated enough money for two wing chairs and a nice table - a sort of reading corner.

I still can't get used to him not being in the reading room of the German library.

Lovely story Nina!On your first post on this topic you said you,ve never met any colourful characters,you,ve just proved yourself wrong ;)

My brother in law is one one of those colourful expats.He worked in Algeria,climbed in Nepal, dived in the Adriatic and lived most of his adult life in and around Munich.Still has his beard and speaks German like a Auslander. He is back were he was born and still wanders in the mountains.He is 77 now and wonders where his life went.