Kiel day-trip recommendations

7 posts in this topic

I'm planning to go up to Laboe tomorrow to see U-995 and the Marineehrenmal and KVG-Kiel doesn't mention any strikes (in fact I'm sure it said definitely not striking somewhere). I'm coming up all the way from Magdeburg though, so just in case KVG-Kiel does decide to strike I've looked up the tourist attractions but there are so many! Any recommendations? Or heads up on KVG strikes? ta

Let's see; there's really nothing in Kiel itself. You already found Laboe, which is the nearest nice place. A little farther afield are Hedeby and the museum at Schloss Gottorf if you have access to a car, and Lübeck is within striking distance by train. After that you're getting into cabbage-museum ("Kohlosseum") territory unless you expand your range to Hamburg and Flensburg.

Yeah. Kiel is seriously the most boring and uninspiring city I think I have ever been to. And I come from Perth, so that is harsh criticism. Even the museum is crap. Check out Barlach´s "Geistkampfer" statue outside the Nikolaikirche if you get a chance. It´s about the only thing of signifigance. And it doesn´t come from kiel.

Schleswig is good. Schloss Gottorf is excellent. The Dom is stunning, inside and out. There is the old fisherman´s quarter nearby. You can take a boat trip up the schlei to kappeln (famous for being "deekelsen" on der landartz tv show). The schlei region is where i was living the past 8 years. As mentioned, there is also the viking museum in haddeby. The dannewirk starts just outside schleswig. Kind of a hadrian´s wall lite. The asgard brewery is a bit touristy, but the beer is very good.

Flensburg is also very nice. Just full of absolute freaks, so best just to visit. Around 1.5 hours by train from kiel. Halfway there is eckernförda. That was the nearest big town to me when i was living in germany. There is fuck-all in eckernförda. Well, apart from my ex. Which unfortunately makes it tourist destination number one for me for a while. To the south of eckernförda is a massive statue of bismarck stuck on a hill in the middle of fucking no-where, if that´s what floats your boat.

Lübeck is beautiful and you can always kick-on by train for a couple of hours to schwerin in meck-vorpomm, which has one of the most beautiful castles ever in a country full of them.

You will know you have made it to the west-coast of SH when creepy banjo music starts playing in your head and no-one has the correct number of fingers.

TBH, the best thing you could probably do is hire a high-performance car or motorbike and go wandering for a day. It is some beautiful driving country, if that´s your thing. I did it once in a heavily worked austin-healy. Very good fun.

Let me know if you need more info. I can probably list every small, arse-end-of-the-world, town and village between baltic and north sea and tell you what isn´t there.

Enjoy your hols and do report back.

Hi there,

I have been living in Kiel for about a year now and I am keen to see more of the surroundings. I've been to places like Laboe, Lubeck, Plon, Hamburg etc but that is all. Unfortunately, I do not have a car but if anyone has any good recommendations of places to visit for the day (nice beaches/walking places in particular) please let me know. Alternatively, if anyone else also fancies exploring the area a bit more then get in touch as perhaps some days trips can be arranged.

Best wishes,

Becky

I know the topic is old but if someone searches-- I recommend a visit to the town of Eutin, which is on the train line between Lübeck and Kiel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gro%C3%9Fer_Eutiner_See

In the warmer months there is a ship where one can take little cruises with cake, coffee, etc. There is also a musical there in summer. Just a delightful little town-- don't miss the Brauhaus on the Marktplatz. Just a pretty little town surrounded by a lot of natural beauty.

My late wife and I toured along the Kiel Canal by bicycle on several occasions and I enjoyed them all very much. When we were in the city of Kiel our visit coincided with the visit of the Tall Ships to the port, and although I'd previously enjoyed these Tall-Ship visits on the other side of the Antlantic, this Kiel visit is the most memorable. Even aside from the visit to the city, riding along the canal never failed to interest me. I often think of one occasion when my wife and I, tired from having cycled a fair distance, sat on the bank of the canal near Rendsberg, lit a small fire, made some tea, had our lunch and sat by the fire playing our harmonicas... a highlight of a three-week bike tour.