Quality of life in the Tonndorf neighbourhood

8 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have been looking for an apartment which is unfortunately very difficult to find even if you pay the brokerage as i have always found too many applicants. Finally i have zeroed in a place in Tonndorf which i might get. I would have preferred a more central place, but i guess not so lucky. Can you provide some reviews on this area "Tonndorf" . Is it a safe neighborhood and livable?

Regards,

BSD

Will Appreciate if you guys can provide me any answer to my request.

BSD

wikipediaStatistikamt NordA good, neutral source is the information provided by Statistikamt Nord. They have district specific profiles which give information on average income, unemployment rate, social welfare recipients, criminality and a lot more. Criminality is below average if I remember correctly. Tonndorf is not one of the most popular districts. It has a typical suburb character with mostly single- and double family houses with gardens, and a few apartment blocks. On wikipedia you can explore some fotos. The streetview function of google is a great thing to get an impression. The perception of Hamburg residents (which is not necessarily representing the reality) would probably be: generally the East is less popular than other parts of Hamburg. Tonndorf is surrounded by districts with relatively high unemployment rate and a lot of migrants.

It's safe, if that's the answer you need. It's not entirely picturesque, but you know that if you've already seen the apartment.. most of Hamburg is relatively safe - and it's certainly "liveable".

It is less popular, true, but it's also significantly more affordable.

Thanks guys for the reassuring words. Is it less popular due to no S/U-bahn as the frequency of R10 is not as spectacular?

Probably, partly...it's on the "outskirts" of the city - painfully residential, working class, it's scattered with farm land and industrial warehouses. It's still "Hamburg", but not really "the city" anymore.

What about moving to Farmsen or Wandsbek Markt / Straßburger Straße. The neighborhood is quite the same than Tonndorf but you have the comfort of U1. Rents are also reasonable. I live here since 4 years and I never felt uncomfortable (and I'm a woman). It's probably pretty easy finding an apartment here. Anyway, good luck.

Given a choice I would definitely like to move to a much central place, but with so much competition for the available places, i have my choices cut out. have zeroed in on another place close to eimsbuttel, hope it works out