Tools, tips and tricks of the trade

36 posts in this topic

Life's experiences and advice from our elders teach us the helpful things in life. Post them here, no matter what.

Use vinegar to remove rust

You don't need chemicals to clean a rusted instrument. Vinegar, contains acetic acid that, combined with its low pH, battles the chemicals that gang up and oxidize to make rust. I soaked an old pair of clippers in vinegar for a few days and had them sharpened for 3 bucks. Ready for my spring vegetable garden.

When you get all pent up with anger - kneel in front of the bed or sofa, and thump the hell out of a cushion or pillow. That should release some tension and rage.

Do what your boss/sergeant/mother says, and try to keep a straight face.

Kitchen tip:

Store spices in a cool, dark place, not above or near your stove. Humidity, light and heat will cause herbs and spices to lose their flavor.

If you have to throw a punch,never just aim at the surface of what you intend to hit.

Visualize a small rubber ball,or maybe a golf ball,about 6 inches deep into the target.

Punch THAT.

If you are asked to do a good deed or donate do so without hesitation or complaining (if you can't/don't want to do it just say no).You will get a lot more brownie points and will always be remembered what a good nice person you are.

What is not important is how much money you make, what is important is what you do with what you make.

If your flight has been cancelled, even for reasons that don´t depend from the airline like weather conditions, the airline has to reprotect you on another flight (most likely the next flight for the same destination, but it doesn´t have to be) or reimburse you the price of the ticket.

If you choose to be reprotected on another flight, the airline must take charge of all costs that you incur in until that flight leaves: hotel, meals, transportation, so keep all receipts and claim them back.

And yes, this is valid also for low cost airlines, Ryanair included :)

Kitchen tips:

Vinegar is also very effective as a softening agent ("Entkalker") for your water boiler. Moreover, it is much cheaper vs. an official softening agent which costs several euros. Don't use it for a coffee machine.

With ordinary salt you can help remove a wine stain in e.g. your carpet.

With little lemon juice you can clean dirty and difficult removable spots in your bath room.

All simple and cheap solutions.

Coming up next week: how to keep bread fresh for at least 5 days.

If you have to throw a punch,never just aim at the surface of what you intend to hit.

Visualize a small rubber ball,or maybe a golf ball,about 6 inches deep into the target.

Punch THAT.

Broken Hand Treatment

Call 911 if:

• The person is seriously injured.
  • Hand is numb.

• Skin under the fingernail is blue.
  • Bone is sticking out of the skin.

• Bleeding doesn't stop after several minutes of firm pressure.
  • Blood spurts from the wound.

1. Stop Bleeding if Necessary

• Apply firm pressure with a clean cloth until bleeding stops.
  • If the bone is pushing through the skin, do not touch it or try to put it back in place.

2. Control Swelling

• Apply ice.
  • Take off any jewelry immediately.

3. Immobilize the Hand

If the person's hand is numb or the skin under the fingernails is blue, do not move the hand or arm. Otherwise:

• Have the person bend the arm at the elbow.
  • Tie a splint on the lower arm with fabric or elastic bandages. Cardboard, rolled-up newspaper, or other stiff material can be used as a splint.

• Make a sling and place the person's arm in it. Tie the sling around his or her neck.

4. See a Health Care Provider Immediately

When you get all pent up with anger - kneel in front of the bed or sofa, and thump the hell out of a cushion or pillow. That should release some tension and rage.

In this situation, I come on to Toytown and vent a bit and then go and make bread, thrashing the dough for all I'm worth.

If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

Oh, and always wear clean underwear. You never know when you're going to get knocked down by a bus.

Kitchen tip:

Store spices in a cool, dark place, not above or near your stove. Humidity, light and heat will cause herbs and spices to lose their flavor.

and please do not keep them around for longer than a few months, or you might as well use sawdust instead.

a curry made with fresh spices tastes so much better!

Putting Toilet paper onto strange shelf some German toilet have will facilitate its speedy and less stainy removal when you flush.

This will save you further cleaning it all with the brush, only to look at the little pieces of crap that now dot the otherwise white brush.

Bit of bog paper - saves a lot of hassle...

Don't sign a contract you don't fully understand. Asking the salesperson (who stands to benefit from your signing) what a German contract means in English is a particularly stupid idea.

Kitchen tips:

Vinegar is also very effective as a softening agent ("Entkalker") for your water boiler. Moreover, it is much cheaper vs. an official softening agent which costs several euros. Don't use it for a coffee machine.

*I found citric acid works better (Citronensäure)

.Oh, and always wear clean underwear. You never know when you're going to get knocked down by a bus.

my great grandmother used to say that wearing clean underwear was like always wearing spurs- cos you never knew when you'd meet your horse!

To clean my microwave I use a lemon. Chop it into quarters, put into a bowl with a little water and put in the microwave for about 3 minutes on full power. Then just wipe afterwards. Looks shiney as a new pin!!

Coming up next week: how to keep bread fresh for at least 5 days.

Oh, I know the answer to that one - buy it in Britain! :P

My tip of the day:

If you have one of those Kamin Ofen thingies, with a glass front that gets covered in soot so that you can see the fire properly, take a moist piece of kitchen roll, dunk it in the ashes, and then rub the glass with it - you don´t need to buy any special type of cleaner!