Relocation to Frankfurt kids 16+ and 15+

39 posts in this topic

Hi Ansel,

If you want to be on the U3 for FIS, then I would try Eschersheim, Dornbusch, and Nordend-West, and Westend-Nord. Obviously not everything in each of those suburbs are near the metro line. Sachsenshausen-Nord is also on the U3 but you are getting a long way away from FIS and although the children might catch the U-Bahn to and from school if you want to drive occasionally to school for activities Sachsenhausen is more inconvenient because it is on the other side of the river and the city centre. Heddernheim is also a possibility, good solid suburb nothing fancy but at least for me a bit too far out of things if I am going to live in Frankfurt.

If you go further out than Heddernheim then I would advise to live in Oberursel or Bad Homburg instead.

4 bedroom apartments are significantly more difficult to find than 3 bedroom apartments. Also someone has probably told you, the German's go on number of rooms. 5 rooms might mean it has 4 bedrooms if has a combined lounge and dining room, but it often means that it is has 3 bedrooms with a 2 room interconnected lounge/dining.

Your kids are probably a bit old for this, but I wanted to add it anyway for the general information base:

The Elisabethengymnasium in Frankfurt has an EXCELLENT German as a Second Language programme. The teacher there is truly commited to getting

bright kids into the Gymnasium (instead of shunted off to the Realschule or Hauptschule just because ethey don't speak German) and all the kids love her.

sbrown17 -

We are in the process of moving to the Frankfurt area. Leaning toward ISF even though we have one daughter high on the waiting list at FIS. Our other daughter is further down on her list but if one gets in, the other has a better chance. We are also in the process of renting in Bad Soden close to the center of town where the shops are located. What area are you living in? Any suggestions for Bad Soden? What do you like best about ISF and what didn't you like about FIS? Would really appreciate any information. We just got back from our look and see trip last weekend and will be moving the beginning of August.

Hi TrishaL!

Great to hear you like Bad Soden. We love it here. As for the schools...we visited both and liked both. Two drawbacks on FIS lead us to ISF. One, the waiting list of course. Second, FIS in Oberursel seemed like a very good school however, it did seem to be more of a prep school and we could see a little competition with things like "who wears what" and so on. ISF has a dress code (shirts only) which is a good thing. We live in the heart of Bad Soden (couple minute walk to S Bahn/Bus Stop) and it is so convenient! Our son takes the schule bus to and from ISF. He really likes his school and hasn't had one complaint.

When you did your visit last week, did you look at homes in Bad Soden? I do know it is an extremely favorable town and many people have a difficult time trying to find a place (they just go so fast).

Where are you coming from again? I feel like I've written to you before...LOL

Good luck with everything!

Stacie

Hi,

I'm not sbrown17 but have been living near Bad Soden for the past 30 years.

Bad Soden is not very big and most things can be done on foot. It would probably make sense to look for somewhere to live near the station if you have teenagers. There are 4 trains an hour if that so it is not a large noisy station so don't be put off by the word station.

Bad Soden-Neuenhain is beautiful with lovely views over Frankfurt. However public transport is not too good. The bus to Königstein goes via Neuenhain. You would have to have a car to live there really.

Bad Soden-Altenhain is also nice but there is not much public transport. Here too, you would need a car.

Most shops are in the Königsteiner Strasse.

Hope I have been able to help.

BeeGee17

Hi Stacie -

Thanks so much for the information. We also liked both schools and see the same drawbacks with FIS. Our girls seem to adjust easily and would be fine at either school. We are looking at houses in Bad Soden because we really liked the area and how easy it seems to get around on foot and public transportation. We are working on securing a house that is very close to the city center where the park and shops are. You said your son is 12. In 6th or 7th grade? Our youngest daughter will be entering 4th grade and our oldest daughter will be entering 8th grade when we get there. We are moving from Maine but I, too, grew up in Michigan. Where in Michigan did you come from?

Hopefully, we will be able to get the house we are working on and would love to connect with your family when we get there especially with kids in the same school and similar ages. One more thing, what do you think of the after school activities and sports at ISF?

Thanks again!

Trish

Trish,

That sounds awesome! Good luck with the house in BS. We also live quite close to the center. Our son is currently in 7th. We came here more than 1/2 way through the school year so he sort of started in the middle of the curriculum. He is doing well though and should have no problem going into 8th next year. One thing I really like at ISF is they test the students weekly to make sure they don't fall behind. That is comforting.

We moved from Troy, Michigan. My husband worked in Auburn Hills for Continental Automotive.

Yes, absolutely...once you are here and settled, lets meet!

Stacie

Stacie -

I know exactly where that Ramada is located. So glad to hear that your son is doing well and will keep you informed on how it works out with housing for us. I'm sure we would be within walking distance of each other. Thanks for the email address and thanks again for all of the helpful info on ISF.

Trish

Stacie - just a suggestion - it is probably a good idea to edit your post to take your personal address and email out - use PM to send these for safety, especially as you have a child. Maybe I'm being ueber-cautious ... but you never know.

Scattycat,

I thank you for pointing that out. For some reason it came up in my email and I thought it was a PM. I was def wrong! I have tried to edit that particular post but I can not figure out how...do you?

Thanks!

Stacie

Hmmn ... it looks like there is a time limit to "modify" the post as that button is gone on my earlier post to for example. Since I don't know how to contact the mods, what about reporting your own post and ask them to modify/delete it for you?

I think you probably have the board settings set such that you get email notification of any posts on any threads you post on. I don't have that setting switched on for example, but I do get emails with pm's people send me as I have email notification set for pm's.

Hello, We are also moving to Bad Soden next month. We already secured a house fortunately but we are still unsure about the school for our 14 year old son entering grade 9 in August. He is on the waiting list for FIS, but not sure he will get in. We have just applied to ISF now and hopefully they have space for him. I am pleased to hear the positive comments about ISF on this forum as I was a little bit uncertain and have little knowledge about the system they use. Our son is currently at Anglo American School in Moscow and FIS seems to follow that system more. How do your children get to school, do they take the train from Bad Soden or do you drive them? Any suggestions for tennisclubs as my both son and I are keen tennisplayers.

Hi mml222,

Glad to hear another family is moving to Bad Soden. It's quite nice here. I don't think you can go wrong with either school. They are both great. As for tennisclubs, there are many. I'm not an avid tennis player however, I do know they are available.

My son walks to the Bahnhof (train station/bus stop) and catches the Schule Bus (school bus). We are very close to the the Bahnhof so that worked out great for him. Are you moving close to town?

Good luck on your move next month!

Stacie

We are also relocating to Frankfurt this Summer and I have registered my boy 14 and girl 12 and the new European School in Bad Vilbel.

Having lived rurally for 10 years in the UK and the last 4 years in the Alps, it is going to be a little culture shock for the kids. They are

looking forward to city life though and we have chosen to live in Sachsenhausen for its vibrant Schweizerstrasse, proximity of the river and theaters

etc.. Unfortunately the school does not yet teach higher classes.

Tks Stacie,

good to hear positive comments about both schools. we will be in neuenhain and opposite a bus stop, so am sure we will work it out over the summer.

rgds,

marielle

Hi Marielle.

We also looked at a few homes there. We call it "up the hill, lol". Our temporary flat was there and yes, the schule bus stops at them. I believe my son got on at the Parkstrasse stop. Good luck in your journey!

Take care,

Stacie

It's interesting reading this thread from 7 years ago and discussions about FIS/IFS, etc. We are thinking about moving to Frankfurt and have two teenage kids. Seems that FIS still has a waiting list... they admitted our younger child right away, and put our older on waitlist. We were told that people are coming to Frankfurt due to Brexit, but it seems space has always been tight at FIS.

So our question now is whether to hold out hope that both kids can finally be admitted into the same school or if it makes more sense to enroll them in different schools. Does anyone have experience with this? Pros and cons of kids in different schools?

Also, although our kids are in an IB school, we have experience with other curricula. It seems that there are some good Montessori schools around Frankfurt. Does anyone have kids in any of them? What's your feedback about how Montessori is taught there, especially for higher age groups?

Thanks for any feedback.