Renewal of Indian Passport in Berlin

22 posts in this topic

Hello,

I hold an Indian Passport and I live in Wolfsburg currently.

I want to renew my passport and I think Indian embassy Berlin is where I have to approach.

Does anybody know how long it will take to process my new Passport in Berlin and is there any kind of fast method I can opt for?

I have a business trip beginning of next month, and for the visa I need the new passport as they require validity of minimum 6 months.

Any experiences with Indian embassy of Berlin is much appreciated.

Regards,

Arun.

Hi there, if you are in Lower Saxony you need to approach Indian Consulate in Hamburg. I had my passport renewed last year, if its the same procedure you need to fill up a form.

I would rather ring them first and inquire. It took me 2 weeks I guess to get a new passport.

Good luck.

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for your reply and saving me from a travel disaster.

I had called the embassy in Berlin yesterday and after calling 3-4 times somebody picked up and said I have to come to Berlin. She seemed like she was in a hurry. :angry:

I also asked her about the processing time and she was saying up to 30days, which seemed strange for me and made me write here.

Just now I called the same no. and some other person picked up the phone and now he says I have to go to Hamburg.

Hamburg is right. You need some documents together such as your city registration certificate, photos of certain size etc. As I said call up consulate in Hamburg and ask for necessary docs that you need to carry.

They say No..! The Passport comes from India, they need verification from my previous passport office etc..etc..

I wish they had the Tatkal scheme here also...!!

What country will you be traveling to on business? How long is your present passport still valid?

Hello again,

They need to verify your documents from the passport office in India, that is true. I had the similar situation last year, I had to travel in a month of time. If I were you, I will go there personally and explain the situation. I found people at hamburg consulate really nice and understanding.

Documents to be checked.

1. Fill out your passport application form (which is in the link i copied before) and your passport (better take copies of it beforehand)

2. 4 pics of the recommended size.

3. Your meldebescheinigung.

4. Some cash guess 70 € or something check how much exactly.

5. Self addressed envelope with appropriate stamp do no how much, but there is a kiosk next to the consulate you can buy there after you consult them.

6. Wish you all the best!

P.S: Processing always takes bit of time considering national holidays and work burden, I will not be worried about that at this moment.

Hello,

@westvan : I have to travel to Singapore and China. Both of them clearly specifies min 6 months validity required, and my passport unfortunately ends by mid of JULY.

@Arahlucky :Thanks for the detailed check list. All the above mentioned things are ready with me. i am planning to collect it in hand, I don't want to take a chance on the postal delays. I will try to ask for a speedy process, hope they can do something.

I don't want to take a chance on the postal delays. I will try to ask for a speedy process, hope they can do something.

I vaguely remember that you can collect in person too! Hope all goes fine with you.

Hello again,

I visited the Consulate of India, Hamburg on Friday. Gave the documents and paid 50€. Process was easy(less than 20mins). They require 4 photos of 40mmx40mm. The Passport FAQ from Berlin gives the picture size of 45mmx35mm, which is not acceptable in Hamburg. Luckily, I had both the sizes so didn't have to run for new pictures at that moment.

The processing time they say is minimum of 4 weeks. I told them about my Business visit and the official frankly said "FORGET ABOUT IT!" :rolleyes:

Now the waiting begins...!!

I renewed my passport couple of months before. I was also in a same situation of yours and the same official in Hamburg who was very friendly to my surprise, told me normal processing time is 5 weeks max. I submitted the application and I received my passport exactly on the 5th week.

Hello All,

I got the passport renewed on 14th March. So approximately 3.5 weeks of processing time. (18 Working days)

Sorry For the delay in updating the status. But I think it will be anyhow helpful to others like me in Future.

Thanks to all for the support.. :)

Dear Arun.gnath

I will be in Hamburg next week and my passport will expire in September 2013, can you please give me guidance to renew passport in Hamburg.

I have all things ready with me, just little confuse about Meldebescheinigung (Proof of residency), would it be proof of residency in Germany or it would be Indian residency proof?

regards,

Gautam

Hello I just read the posts .. Thanks for all the info...I am staying near Hannover.. I am suppose to apply for my job visa and my passport expires in july 2014 !!! Can I get a job visa, since my passport expires in 13 months? Or should I first apply for a new passport and then apply for job visa? What about my ongoing student visa, when I apply for my renewal of passport..

Thanks!!