Elly & Stoffl Bilingual Kindergarten

11 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am planning to send my little girl to the Elly&Stoffl kindergarten this summer. The website sounds great, nearly too good to be true. Can anyone here tell me a little more-- either good or bad? Thank you!

Hi there

Is it the one in Solln by any chance? I would be interestedto hear feedback on that one too - it does look great!

The mini-Bron is at an Elly & Stoffl creche. So far we are very happy; to be honest I was less worried about a specific pedagogic concept and more bothered by the question of whether the carers would be nice to my baby, give lots of cuddles etc. and yes, they are and do.

We also liked the nice light rooms, the garden (and yes, they do use it a lot) and the fact that the food is prepared there. The cook is extremely popular with the children and is quite happy to discuss the menus with the parents. This was a contrast to another creche we visited where there seemed to be an awful lot of premade "pudding" on the menu.

They don't have the three-week closure in the summer that some other creches and kindergartens have. This may or may not be an issue for you. We rather appreciate not being bound into specific holiday times yet.

Downsides - there has been a relatively high staff turnover in our group this year. I gather that this is not uncommon in creches, but is still a shame for the children. We are happy with the replacement staff though.

We started at Elly & Stoffl creche last week and so far I am very pleased with the staff and the facilities. The babies/toddlers in our group seem to be adjusting well. I have seen the kindergarten groups passing through and they seem to be having a good time too but I couldn't really say more about the experience of the older children.

If anyone has specific questions, feel free to PM me. Although it's still early days, I can definitely give some basic insight and would also be able to share more as time passes.

Any new experiences on Elly & Stoffl? I am starting to look for a Kita for my little one and ES looks amazing from the way the day is structured to the daily organic menu.

Well, we have been there for over 6 months now - I never regret it and the little one loves it there.

If there is one drawback it is the cost. It was a lot higher than any other krippe we looked at but you will know that upfront so no surprises there.

So some highlights of our experience:

• Caring, friendly and enthusiastic staff
  • Bilingual with native English speakers on staff (always minimum one per group)
  • For our LO's age group a 1:4 staff to child ratio (legally mandated is 1:6)
  • Creative activities for the kids - arts and crafts, dance teachers, yoga teachers, Kneipptag, monthly themes where they explore other cultures, foods, etc
  • On site chef- the food is always fresh and good and from time to time the kids have an activity where they 'help' make something
  • Lovely facility - beautiful and spacious inside, nice garden for them to play in outside, mini restaurant where they eat, nice things for them to play with, climb on etc.
  • Library with books to check out, some of the development toys can be rented as well
  • We don't use but they have pick up and drop off service
  • Longer opening hours than most daycares (7-19) and they don't have any weeks they are closed for holidays (provides good flexibility for families with both parents working)
  • I've had other parents and friends who always comment on how happy our LO seems - no worry it only looks good when you are actually there
  • 'My Day' - a daily written report of what our LO did, liked or any problems he had, plus regular 1:1 with the primary carer for your LO
  • Regularly updated closed photo website of my LO's group doing various activities

Good luck with your search and if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks ChiliRose...will PM you to find out which school you are at. I really love all that it entails.

We are very disappointed with them!... We had very, very, very bad experience with one of the young teachers there, missing total professional attitude toward parents and children. Most of them are very young. Our little one suffered a lot from her bad attitude and she almost ruined our life. I didn't expected to find such bad educators at a private preschool...

I find as most important (this is my advice) to look at the professionalism of the educators (avoid young and inexperienced one looking just to receive a salary or lying witouh caring about the children there , just to save their job place,  without any love and attachment to children)... 

On 13.10.2012 08:40:36, ChiliRose said:

Well, we have been there for over 6 months now - I never regret it and the little one loves it there.

If there is one drawback it is the cost. It was a lot higher than any other krippe we looked at but you will know that upfront so no surprises there.

I agree.  Our boy is coming to the end of his time at E&S.  He has been there since 11 months old and he is going to Kindergarten in September.  I already feel sad about the end of an era.

We have had the usual "issues" ie. fantastic girls (and guys) leaving or being fired, the odd injury - but from what I hear, that is what its like.  Everywhere.

The girls (who stay) are amazing on the whole and my boy's English is amazing.  It was important for me that he went to an English-speaking creche because all his rellies around the world only speak English.  I knew I needed help as the English-speaking parent, cos I spend so little time with him.

The costs would have been prohibitive for us but luckily we got a work-related deal on the fees.

A great crech, totally flexible in terms of times, great Betreuerinnen and normally excellent client-care.

I recommended them to a work mate and his little girl is at Laim.   The lady running Cosimapark was at our place and she is excellent.

I know this post is out dated. But I would like to submit my experience as a professional educator who was employed with Elly&Stoffl. In case anyone comes across this post for advice. I was an English Learning Guide that arrived in Germany July 2017 and I had a contract to start working for the company on August 2017. I arrived early to obtain my work permit and all mandatory documents to start working before my contract. When I went to the Solln location (that was the house I was assigned to work at) I went to see my manager so she could have copies of my passport and other documents I was aware about at the moment. I told her and she stood searching my passport (she could clearly see no permit was added into the passport book) that I did not have a work permit. I told her I possibly wouldn't have it until the first of September. She said it was fine and to notify her when I got it. On Friday of the same week, I told her I had no passport, she scheduled me to start working. At the moment I was very naive and desperate to have an income started. I worked and followed my scheduled. August ended and she tells me in the office that she can not put me on Septembers schedule because I don't have a permit. So she said she would leave me off the schedule until I bring her my permit. Well the first week of September I was able to obtain own my permit. I gave it to her to make a copy and I continued working. I did not get a paycheck for August so I reached out to HR. HR tells me they can not pay me for half of August I worked, because I did not have a work permit. Then someone in HR messed up my pay and I ended up having to owe the company back. So it took me about 3,000 dollars to move from the United States to Munich and I am walking away tomorrow with only making about €600,00 for working for a total of five months. That was only the tip of the iceberg. As I worked in the Solln house for Elly&Stoffl, I have witnessed children who were verbally abused and neglected. Some of the employees there would tell babies to stop crying. They were very unfocused with the children that sometimes children wondered off alone into the elevator or stairs (crawling/walking depending on child) this happened multiple times and you would think staff would learn from the mistake. I believe that it is so chaotic that it is easily for children to walk away or crawl away. Employees are so stressed out they are unfocused and become impatient with the children that they tell them to stop crying or yell at them. (To me is verbal abuse) the philosophy that the company displays is not abided by there. There was a little girl who I was told, fell down the stairs but later the story changed to the little girl tripped and bumped her head on the baseboards along the stairs. They are not honest and they are not authentic. They lie to the parents or sugar coat things. A little boy crawled through pee because the person in the room with him was not paying attention to him but she was alone with about 15 other kids. She told me to tell the parents that he spilled water on him during lunch. I said, "they will smell the pee though." She said I was right, and to tell them his pee leaked out of his diaper. There is gossip. There is an employee at a whole different location who is a member of the LBGT community. A staff member at the Solln house was gossiping about them and saying that people like that shouldn't be around children. I took that personally because my sister is a lesbian married with a beautiful baby boy and graduating to become a teacher. My brother is gay and going into the arts. But this isn't about me. This is about the false image that this company displays. When I was hired I was informed that this company accepts and celebrated diversity and when I heard this staff member gossiping about someone we never met or seen it was poor behavior. I was thinking how could they say that when I personally know that an employee at the Liam house grew marijuana in the Villa (the housing the company provides for employees working with Elly&Stoffl) smoked marijuana and was drunk most of the time i saw him in the Villa. He even bragged to another housemate about having sex with girls who were the age of 15 or 16 and he, I believe was the age 32. People like that should not be working with children. The food is great quality and the rooms are clean and well furnished. There is short of staff because employees are either sick or out for some other reason. So there is not enough support for the guides in the classrooms. The manager or director of the house is rude, arrogant and is never available to the staff or parents. She is either out (no one knows where) or she is on the phone and can not be bothered. It's very poor managed environment. I had brought these issues to the owners attention and HR. Nothing was improved. I put in my two weeks because I didn't not want to support this poor behavior and I did not want to be part of a sketchy and shady business. I am very honest person and I am direct with people. So after many attempts to be direct and honest. Nothing changed. When I had left the company there were rumors being spread and gossip. By that behavior i can tell nothing has improved since I left, unfortunately. If you are considering having your child attend. I suggest you ask a lot of questions and you follow your intuition. This is only my experience. I know for a fact I am not alone. Because during my attempts to make things better I reached out to former employees and current and they all agreed with me. I feel people are afraid to speak their truth, or that they will lose their job or make enemies. I have no fear and it is only right for the safety of the children that the truth is exposed and said. If i get in trouble (which would be so uncalled for) then it was for a good reason. I stand in my truth. I speak my truth.