Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to buy white marshmallow & ice cream cones

18 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am looking for a plain white marshmallows & ice cream cones / waffel for cake decoration. Can anyone help me in this regard.

Thanks!!

Real and Kaufland sell them here. As far as I can see these are only in the suburbs of Frankfurt, but I think most of the big supermarkets would have them.

My Kaufland carries both imported from USA plain white marshmallows and the pink/green/white flavoured German marshmallows. I think I also saw cones at Kaufland back in the summer, but definitely they regularly carry the smaller and more decorative waffles, often in triangular shapes.

Also try Edeka.

Real carries them. The supermarket in the bottom of Karstadt in the city use to have marshmellows too.

Seen today at Kaufland.  Marshmallows imported from America's heartland.  Don't get the ones on the left, you'll be disappointed.  Get the ones on the right!

"Doumak is the leading exporter of American-made marshmallows, which are distinctive from marshmallows made anywhere else in the world. Known for their light, airy texture and unique vanilla flavor, our marshmallows are a great choice, available on a global scale. Our Rocky Mountain™ and Campfire® brands are currently sold to 35+ countries in Europe, Central and South America, Southeast Asia and the Middle East."

"Doumak Inc. began its marshmallow-making journey in 1921, producing cast mold marshmallows in Los Angeles, CA. In 1954, Alex Doumakes invented and patented the extrusion process of manufacturing marshmallows. This breakthrough innovation allowed the mass production of marshmallows in a cost-efficient manner. Marshmallows went from being an expensive confection to an everyday sweet treat and favorite ingredient for many recipes. In 1961, the Doumakes family moved the company to its current location outside Chicago, IL. In 2003, Doumak acquired the Campfire® brand and opened its second manufacturing facility in the Chicago area."

See Doumak.com

marshmallows.jpg

My wife is vegetarian, so most store-bought marshmallows with gelatin are sadly out (for her, anyway). Last time back I bought a couple bags of these maple marshmallows. Rice crispy squares will never be the same. 

I made a batch of marshmallows at home, some years ago. With agar instead of gelatin. They tasted good, ever so slight agar taste, but the right kind of spongey fluffy, and really not hard to make as long as you have a mixer. But agar is more finicky then gelatin I will say, and these had be eaten with 48 hours or so as the last few in the airtight box were still a bit hard and grainy… It's certainly easier to buy them!

If you want to go next level, you can make your own with actual marshmallow powder. I haven't tried that yet, but maybe just for fun.

8 minutes ago, alderhill said:

Rice crispy squares will never be the same. 

Where do you buy rice crispies? 

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

Around here (southern Hessen) Kaufland has them

5 hours ago, martinamr said:

Oooh, I’m jealous! I’ve never seen Rice Crispies at Kaufland in Berlin.

6 hours ago, martinamr said:

I live in the south of Hessen and I've haven't seen Rice Krispies anywhere around here for years, and trust me, I've looked.  I might have to pay a trip to Darmstadt sometime soon.

When I lived in Aachen, the Carrefours in Belgium always had Rice Krispies (and good beer and open on Sunday’s, but that is a different story).  

13 hours ago, engelchen said:

Once I brought back 3/4 of a bag from Canada, but admittedly I usually have higher luggage-space priorities, so only did it one time. Otherwise Amazon (but only once, a long time ago, specifically so I could make rice crispy treats). I have never seen it in shops here either. 

Maybe I've just been blind all these years?  Or maybe they only recently penetrated the Sachsen Kaufland stores...  But it looks like Doumak has been selling Illinios-made marshmallows in Germany a for long time -- already celebrating success back in 2010.  Silly me.

Doumak.jpg

On 25/03/2021, 12:07:16, martinamr said:

My daughter just dropped into Kaufland in Darmstadt this afternoon to check - no Rick Krispies <_<