My driving license (Führerschein) experience+tips

57 posts in this topic

Well today's lesson went really well, didn't stall the car once, my instructor was very pleased with me (as was I)

I wore different shoes (converse) and everything worked out, I normally wore my boots that have a very small heel, but wearing totally flat shoes seemed to work (don't know if that was the sole reason, but I'll be wearing them to drive from now on.

Hoping things will get better from now on.

Now I have to practice parking :-/

I don't like driving while wearing heels. My husband laughs at me but I always take along a pair of running shoes or flats (or my hiking boots in winter) if we're going somewhere and there is a chance that I'll end up driving us home. So although my outfit might include shoes or boots with higher heels, I don't wear them for driving and change in the car.

For a beginner I would definitely advise to stay away from heels and stick with flats or basic running shoes or tennis shoes.

I am looking for recently used (2nd hand) learning and test material in ENGLISH for my son as he will start taking driving lessons. Anybody who has recently passed the test and wants to sell, pls contact me at swisshansa10@aol.com

Happy to read the thread gives me much hope. I have been working on my theory test using online learning materials. Couldn't get any English books anywhere so am entirely relying on this. I will be attempting the theory exam first time this Wednesday. My teacher thinks I could be ready for the practical exam in two weeks. I have only done four practical lessons so far. I hope I sail through this because I really need to have the licence by beginning of August.

Is it advisable to do a trip of about two hundred kilometres just after getting your licence?

Why wouldn't it be? I went and bought a car when I got my license, and drove up and down England for a few weeks. Learnt more than I ever did in any lesson.

Pratice makes perfect.

Just be careful and don't go too fast. Keep you distance and don't get fussed by others.

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Help help help,,,

I want to get a driver license here in Sachsen Anhalt but its real pain for me at the moment.

I passed the theory exam from the first try without any mistake but failed practical exam 3 times already :-((

One time it was my mistake, I didn't look at the sign carefully but the last 2 times, the DEKRA guys said its good already but then still said I need to practice more as I could not park the car properly, but huhmm nothing was serious, just I had to try 2 times to park it backward.

Anyway I failed, the point is I am not happy with my driving teacher, he did not support me, all the time complain and complain.

Now I need to wait 3 months before I can take the next exam but I want to change to another school. Is it possible? Do I need to pay again the registration fee for new driving school? and what should I do before the next exam???

One more thing is, every practical exam I had to pay 170€, ~85 for DEKRA and 85 for driving school?

Is it true? It was a lot of money for me already (>2000€) and tiring process :-((

Many thanks!

That's true, you have to pay about this much amount on every practical test so it is expensive to fail.

It will be expensive to change the school as well due to new registration charges etc. You may ask for another instructor if you are really not happy with the current one.

But you must give a thought, what is he complaining about and try to focus on those things and improve. He should help you with the practice of precisely the issues due to which you failed in earlier attempts.

I can imagine that your self confidence will be low due to 3 failures but the key is to keep calm and not be nervous during the test.

The fact that your instructor asked you to take the exam means that you drive well and are qualified to pass the test. Keep calm and carry on.

Thanks a lot for your motivation but really I cant stay there anymore, that driving school has only one teacher. I think I will change and have to start from beginning because my theory exam will be over soon as I read somewhere, the theory exam will be valid for one year only.

Need to prepare another 2000€ then :(

Dear All,

Thanks for sharing the information. Though i am late on commenting on this post.

But can somebody guide me if i take theory test in one city and clear it then can i give practical test in another city.

As i have to move from Darmstadt to Heidelberg in future.

But can somebody guide me if i take theory test in one city and clear it then can i give practical test in another city.

Yes You can do it. However you may have to do some extra paper works and minor double payment wrt second application to AMT in the new city, fees for driving school change etc. I did it.. this year: From Aachen --> Hamburg

Dear All,

Thanks for sharing the information. Though i am late on commenting on this post.

As i have to move from Darmstadt to Heidelberg in future.

First you need to tell office(TüV maybe) in Darmstadt to send your papers to Heidelberg Straßenverkehrsamt.

Then you need to go to your local Straßenverkehrsamt in Heidelberg with the letter which you would receive by post from Darmstadt

And then they would do the next steps .

I did same from Hamburg-Bremen

This is a tip for any Americans who have been living in Berlin for more than a year and have a driver's license from a state that has an agreement with Germany.

I'm not familiar with the German law regarding this at all (i.e.-I have not read up on this), but I was able to exchange my driver's license this year without taking any exam even though I've been living in Berlin since 2010. My original driver's license (from 2001) is from NYC (NY state has no agreement with Germany), but my family moved last year to Massachusetts (which has an agreement with Germany), so I got a driver's license from MA. The Landesamt was willing to exchange the Massachusetts driver's license as long as I could show them my driver's license from New York State (since it was my first driver's license, I keep it as a memento).

A colleague of mine was also able to do the same thing (he's been here for over 10 years), but with different states. I'm not sure how or why it works that way, but if you happen to change residency to a state that has an agreement with Germany and you have a driver's license showing you were able to drive before you moved here (regardless of the state), they'll exchange it for you. All I had to do was pay 30 euros and that was it. They do take away your American driver's license, but one can always pay a small fee to replace it upon return to the US.

Very good tip, Santitas!

Although it may not work in other states (in particular, Bavaria).

I had the same thing with my Illinois license. I was able to basically pay a fee and exchange it for a German license. My motorcycle endorsement did not transfer, however, and I need to take the test (no classes, just the test) for my Class A German endorsement.

After 15yr of insistance it seems I have finally convinced my wife to take a driving licence.

Actually she already has one, japanese, but even if it was possible to convert it into a German one (which I doubt), last time she drove was 25yr ago when she took the test, in Japan, so formally compulsory or not she will need to learn it all again.

Of course we are going to contact schools, but I just like to ask fellow expats.

She cannot attend theory lessons during the afternoon or evening, and I bet there isn't any during mornings, Is it possible to take licence test etc etc without attending the theory lessons in the school?

Thanks,

According to this site you have to take the theory lessons too. (June 2015)

Die Theorieprüfung komplett online ohne Fahrschule zu absolvieren ist bisher noch nicht möglich.

Also see here.

Thanks.

Could well be be but I am at least skeptical. The website is selling online lessons, maybe they are biased...  

You have to take theory classes and a stated minimum amount of lessons / classes before you can get in a car for the practical stuff.

Not sure where you are but I've just googled Munich and there are certainly schools offering daytime classes, although I agree these are the minority.