Skiing & snowboarding - cheap day trips

387 posts in this topic

Hello.

My family (16, 19, 23 year old kids, wife and dad) are discussing a late December, German ski holiday with München as our gateway from/to US. Living in Texas, we are not aware of the ski season in Germany, so maybe this idea is not practical. We are all beginners and some (ME!) might prefer the after-ski activities, all day long. We have ski apparel but will need to rent equipment and lift tickets.

From my limited experience (skiing in Colorado and Lapland/FI), making this a 2-3 day ski holiday would be better than a day-trip excursion from München. I favor German public transportation, so I would be planning on rail travel, once in Germany.

Have done Weinachtmarkt in Bavern area a few years, and seem to remember that there was snow base already in the mountains in the area at that time of the year. So, ideally, a Christmas in München and then ski days south in the mountains was what I had in mind... if practical given our warmer winters, lately.

Any ideas?

Garmisch is just 1 hour from Munich. But snow conditions could be variable.. pot luck really.

Austria is 1.30 > 2.30 hours, with much better options.

Consider hiring a car(people carrier) perhaps, so you are not so reliant on public transport? otherwise, you are gonna wanna find a hotel that's next to a ski lift, to save hassle in the mornings etc.

Reminds me of my pre-Christmas ski trip last season. The coldest days skiing I have EVER had. -30C at the top of Kaltenbach. And the wind !!!

Hello.

My family (16, 19, 23 year old kids, wife and dad) are discussing a late December, German ski holiday with München as our gateway from/to US. Living in Texas, we are not aware of the ski season in Germany, so maybe this idea is not practical. We are all beginners and some (ME!) might prefer the after-ski activities, all day long. We have ski apparel but will need to rent equipment and lift tickets.

From my limited experience (skiing in Colorado and Lapland/FI), making this a 2-3 day ski holiday would be better than a day-trip excursion from München. I favor German public transportation, so I would be planning on rail travel, once in Germany.

Have done Weinachtmarkt in Bavern area a few years, and seem to remember that there was snow base already in the mountains in the area at that time of the year. So, ideally, a Christmas in München and then ski days south in the mountains was what I had in mind... if practical given our warmer winters, lately.

Any ideas?

How late is late December? That time of year can be a real crapshoot with the weather, and every day later will increase your chances of finding decent snow. Having said that, this year will be my fifth consecutive spending Christmas and New Year's in the alps, and only one of those years was really bad for snow. Even then, we found enough to keep busy. The trouble with Germany, however, is that it's all pretty low elevation.

Venturing farther into Austria will open more options, but if you're working with 2-3 days and want to use public transportation, that might not be realistic. Spending five hours each way on the train might be fine if you are going to two weeks. For 2-3 days that seems a little silly to me.

So I would probably recommend the easiest option: Garmisch. On the whole it's mostly a beginner-intermediate area, which suits your group. It's certainly smaller than other places in Austria, but for 2-3 days with a group of your ability, it's fine. Even if it's a poor snow year, there is a glacier you can ski on. A multi-day ski pass also covers several other ski areas just over the border in Austia that are all reachable by train within about 30 minutes. Lermoos is a personal favourite of mine. In fact, if you want a smaller village type atmosphere, I might even suggest that you stay there rather than in Garmisch, which is really more or a small city than a cute village (not saying it's not beautiful, just that it's quite a big town).

Going to Garmisch will also keep your costs down in relation to a larger resort in Austria. Your whole family can travel there on the Bayern train ticked for something like €35 each way. Hotels are plentiful and reasonably priced as well. I've never warmed to the apres scene in Garmisch, but there is a fun little bar in Lermoos at the bottom of the hill that I love. It's cheesy, but fun.

Another option to consider would be staying in Innsbruck and traveling each day to some of the resorts around the city. They have free ski buses to six or seven resorts, one of which is a glacier. That would cost a little more than Garmisch and add about an hour to your journey, plus you have to travel 30-60 minutes each day from the city to the slopes, but the skiing is better. The atmosphere is better in Garmisch, though. Innsbruck is a full-blown city.

It sounds like you want to book the New Year period. If so, you should arrange your accommodation now, as this is one of the most busy times in the Alps. If you can hang around for the week after New Years, that is low season so it would be cheaper.

Also, forget about a train or public transport, that will just be a major pain in the ass. Just hire a car for a couple of days, it might even work out cheaper. This way you can head to another resort if the snow isn't good.

I'd head straight to Austria too. Popular areas not too far from Munich are Skiwelt (low though, can be a little dodgy snow wise sometimes), Zillertal (guaranteed snow at Hintertux at the end of the valley) and the Innsbruck resorts.

So which resort to people have theirs eyes on for the early season?

Not long to go now - eeeek! :)))))))

Skiwelt? Is that a company, or a resort, or what? Never heard of it/them...

Thinking of giving my board a fresh wax next week. Get it lubed right up for the sexy season approaching us :)

Question: is there any info anywhere on this 'Skibus' or similar from Hauptbahnhof to Garmisch? From what I read somewhere it was 40 Euro last year for bus ticket and day pass on slopes... that's ace.

Skiwelt is one of the biggest ski areas in Austria: http://www.skiwelt.at

I described the Garmisch Ski Express train here: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=24586&view=findpost&p=1932076

So... who has a car/van and is organising a TT day out/weekend to one of the nearby resorts?

Petrol costs of course shared between those travelling! :)

I am thinking of joining www.munichskiclub.com this season as they satisfy that need, doing day-trips to some of my favourite resorts and to some places I've not skied before.

i'll also be taking the car to wherever,whenever the snow falls. Anyone know when the Zugspitze Glacier opens?

Wicked!

Shall we organise an early season trip to Garmisch (or somewhere else near-ish), then?

Anybody be up for that?

I would be well up for a trip to Garmisch once there is any snow to talk about.

I have room for two in the car, but if we are going on a weekend (after 26th December) the Garmisch Ski Express is a good option - 39 euros for travel and lift pass, providing you can get to HBF for 7:00am. Way better for Apres ski!

Cheers,

Mark

Hey!

I would be interested if somebody is going to Innsbruck or near that on some weekends, is there any or is it too far away for everybody?