Skiing & snowboarding - cheap day trips

387 posts in this topic

Get the train (usually Platform 14) to Lenggries. 75 mins from town.

Then get a cab or the free bus to the resort - about 10 mins away - job's a good'un.

Best part is, you're back home by 6 p.m., whilst all the Autobusbayerners are stuck in 38 mile tailbacks on the Autobahn.

That would be correct.

But in fact, you can buy a €33 return fare at Hbf. which INCLUDES THE SKI pass. I did last Friday.

Its a small resort, with rickety lifts, but the snow was the best I have ever boarded over and it is unbelievably easy to get to and from.

ps. don't tell a soul.

Really, starts at 650 metres up to 1550m.. its pretty low..

I'm tempted, on www.db.de it says its only 60 minutes on the train too.. is there somewhere there to lock your stuff up? I mean, I would only have a pair of shoes I guess..

Can always just backpack the shoes... And normally I would be concerned about the elevation of Lenggries, but they're forecasting -5 degrees midday at Lenggries on Sunday...

Hmm... If I decide on Lenggries, sounds like the train is the way to go.

I'm very tempted to say yes.. give me your handy number and I'll let you know tomorrow mornign, I just want to check out the conditions.. if its blizzarding I might not been keen..

If there are any other takers, let us know..

Why are you even looking at this thread? No skiing for you for at least another 4 weeks :)

Don't make me come down there Hutcho and smack you one with my fully functioning arm :P ! Hopefully I'll be able to join you caants in a month. Best be off now to tighten up my sports bra... :ph34r:

There is a train at 9:02, arriving lenggreis at 10:10. I may want to take this one. have to get up ealier then.

Hi, I was in Lenggreis today. Simply fantastic! So much snow. This is

one of my best snowboarding experience. At least 30cm fresh snow. At

some offpist slopes, the snow was so deep that when I made turns in

high speed, the snow was thrown into the air by my snowboard nose. It

even reached my goggle. :-) What a feeling.

the snow was so deep that when I made turns in

high speed, the snow was thrown into the air by my snowboard nose. It

even reached my goggle. :-) What a feeling.

That, my fellow snow enthusiast, is what is known as a face shot. :D

Sounds like you had a great day! I'm off tomorrow to play in the snow with a few friends. Still thinking the Wilder Kaiser area in Austria, but perhaps we'll just do Lenggries after hearing so much good about it. Anyone else who is going tomorrow - bundle up. I've read that it could be up to -15 degrees with wind chill factors at 1000 m elevations...

Great conditions reported from Lenggries today. There was about a 30 cm blanket of powder waiting to be torn up, and how it was. A lot of people on the mountain today actually, and most of them pretty good, so fresh tracks were gone by 10 in the morning, and any substantial field of powder turned into soft mogul hill more or less towards the end of the day. Not much was pisted it seemed. It snowed all day pretty much, and pretty substantially from 1 onwards - down at the base I had a 10 cm layer of snow on the car when we called it quits, so guessing it snowed another 20 up at the top just today (and it's still snowing as of now).

Gist of this all is - get the fcuk out there and play boys and girls! The snow doesn't get much better than this. Looks like Wednesday may be the best bet of this week as there looks like a break in this long blessing of snow we've had, and the day may even provide some sun, so call in sick and get out there. I know I would (if I was still here :()

Here's Bora tearing it up:

post-3190-1134943477.jpg

I can second that yesterday was epic. I have never skied powder like it.

DSC00092.jpg

At least 50cm of fresh snow on the upper slopes and virtually no people. Only trouble with Seefeld is that its pretty flat so you had to get some good speed going on the groomed slopes before hitting this deep stuff. They also groom too much for my liking.

Still, incredible day and my new Rossignol Scratch FS's handled excellently in the powder.

ja Perfect sunday - has weekly trips to die wilde kaier area - very big area - little crowded on the lifts early in the day , and not well sign posted. swe have been spoilt by Saalbach so everyhing else looks a little unkempt.

All that aside a very nice place to ski - "perfect sunday" is cheaper than powertagesfahrten and they dont talk as much while you are on the bus.

http://www.perfect-sunday.de

OTOH, they give you beer, schnapps, prosecco on powertagesfahrten and they go to some really great places like Serfaus, Fieberbrunn,

Zell am Ziller that would overwise be difficult to get to. I think they do an excellent job.

www.skibus-muenchen.de are cheaper but they only go to Hochzillertal on weekends. Hochzillertal is a good place to ski but after a few times I want to try other places. I see this year that they are doing some trips to Grossglockner-Matrei but that has to be a 3+ hour bus trip and leaving at 6:50am means a pretty late arrival.

By train, I've taken the 7am Garmisch Ski Express train from Hauptbahnhof to Garmisch-Hausberg (EUR 39 including ski pass). They hand-out the ski passes on the train so you can just walk across the car park from the railway station, avoid the queue at the Kasse and be right up the mountain early.

LAST MINUTE - I'm driving to Kitzbühl tomorrow, guys only pay €28 on Fridays... Anybody up for some end of season snowboarding/skiing?

I'm also considering the trip to Lech/zürs am Arlberg on Saturday (www.powertagesfahrten.de)